Voice dialog becomes intermittent/broken as the game progresses

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Voice dialog becomes intermittent/broken as the game progresses

Post by Deimos »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone else here has this issue, but I'm running the latest all in one, with UDM and I notice as the game progresses, the voice/dialogue from diplomatic messages to battle dialogue, either stops working intermittently or becomes a bit, well, screwy.

I started noticing it recently when I was checking the log after each turn and noticed I wasn't receiving notifications for incoming diplomacy messages
I then noticed I also was only sometimes getting terraforming completion and starbase construction audio.

Another thing that might also be related is the voice during battle sequences sometimes duplicates, it sounds almost like the voice is having doubts about what they're reporting lol, it sounds quite comical at times.

They've l......they've lost shields!
That sh...that ship is no threat to this vessel!
If that c.....if that cloud is hostile, we'll destroy it!

For example.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Voice dialog becomes intermittent/broken as the game progresses

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Deimos wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:51 amI started noticing it recently when I was checking the log after each turn and noticed I wasn't receiving notifications for incoming diplomacy messages
I then noticed I also was only sometimes getting terraforming completion and starbase construction audio.

Another thing that might also be related is the voice during battle sequences sometimes duplicates
The first issue is a known and still unsolved problem with advanced games. Might be some kind of max limit of checked entries in the report list for sound trigger (total list for all empires including the hidden AI items): viewtopic.php?p=59040#p59040

The second issue might be a moden OS compatibility problem. Even with fast hardware I get sometimes display/sound delays for simple click responses (or disrupted / double sounds). IIRC this started after certain windos 10/11 updates?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Ahh, thanks Spocks!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Deimos wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:51 am Another thing that might also be related is the voice during battle sequences sometimes duplicates, it sounds almost like the voice is having doubts about what they're reporting lol, it sounds quite comical at times.
you stated issue on UDM was this dominion or unedited sounds? some of the dominion sounds maybe too short to cause this issue but first time I have heard of it.

if compatibility issue the Mss32.dll can be swapped in some cases but current Mss32.dll in installer tested best when issue happened many years ago
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Deimos wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:51 am Another thing that might also be related is the voice during battle sequences sometimes duplicates, it sounds almost like the voice is having doubts about what they're reporting lol, it sounds quite comical at times.
I remember having experienced this many years ago with some of my games - certainly not Win 10 but Win 8.1 and before. It indeed sounds funny but I didn't care much on it and if I recall correct, it went away with the next game restart.
It often happened with a ship being destroyed. Once the playback starts they already shout "Aaaargh!" and then once the ship is actually destroyed it is triggered again. Might be related to the playback load delay, whatever.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

thunderchero wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:20 pm
you stated issue on UDM was this dominion or unedited sounds? some of the dominion sounds maybe too short to cause this issue but first time I have heard of it.

if compatibility issue the Mss32.dll can be swapped in some cases but current Mss32.dll in installer tested best when issue happened many years ago
Hi Thunder
I'm playing as the Federation, no edited sounds at all, although I have edited ship/building values.
It only seems to happen the longer the game goes on for, almost like a memory leak it develops over time.
I just reloaded my existing save, which is at turn 320 and it's not doing it right now.
I wish Playclaw could record the game, then I could show you.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”