Can't run either vanilla or mods on Windows 10

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
Soulmusic
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Can't run either vanilla or mods on Windows 10

Post by Soulmusic »

Hi there,

I can't get any of the versions to load via DxWnd. Icon visible in the taskbar briefly before black screen as it attempts to load and then just drops back to desktop.

I've been reading posts for ages and I'm pretty sure I've taken all the obvious steps e.g. Directplay, DxWnd run as admin and all other mods un-compatibility-tinkered and I've also Installed Ultimate Editor as it states some mods require it. I've tried a newer version of DxWnd but the botf installer still says it isn't installed so I proceed anyway and use the ones that are included in the installer.

I'm a bit hazy about the below:

"QD's Patcher (with option to select different patch folder) included folders; QD's patch folder, BOP_patches, um5_patches, ecm4.0_patches, ucw_patches and udm_patches.
EdificePatcher.exe to allow editing of UCW"

Do the above have to be installed separately or are they included in 2.0.0 ?

Does the below event log shed any light on my issue? I'm very happy to look stupid here so long as it gets me a fix so I can return to this joyous game :)

Faulting application name: trek.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x37965563
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0b59cd80
Faulting process ID: 0x610
Faulting application start time: 0x01d83bfd9c868eef
Faulting application path: C:\botf\AAML\trek.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 35b0ea4c-5827-417a-986c-adc757ea0f17
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Apologies if this old timer has missed the obvious.
Cheers
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Can't run either vanilla or mods on Windows 10

Post by thunderchero »

until you get vanilla running you should not use UE, QD's Patcher, EdificePatcher or any other editor.

your event log is very strange;
Faulting module path: unknown
my first thought is corrupt download? (redownload and check md5)

other possibility would be video card default setting; (open video card software and add game, this should give some option available. for this game it is best to turn everything off)

one thing you might have over looked is DxWnd must be installed first to set proper default paths for desktop icons. (run DxWnd.exe to start game, you should also confirm correct path)

did you check game crash log (there is one in each install path)

good luck
Soulmusic
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Soulmusic »

Hi Thunderchero,

Thanks for the swift reply. I've wiped the lot again and cleansed the registry etc. Ran it all again but just running DxWnd by itself on first run and then the rest individually. No luck. I've even checked the directories on my old rig (working version on Win7) and I can't really see any difference. I even copied them over for a laugh onto my newer rig and they attempt to load but I get the same issue. Starts to load, attempts to change resolution etc and then just dumps me back to desktop.

Crash logs are blank. I've done the video card thing also and no luck there. I've been through the motions of ruling out the multi-monitor issue I saw that another user had encountered. My monitor has the capability.

The only common theme seems to be those unknowns for the module path in the event log. I always get the warning about DxWnd not being installed when I run the 2.0.0 installer too despite me having DxWnd in that directory already. Not sure if that's normal. I am thinking that I'm missing something with the DxWnd install and, like you say, it isn't picking it up correctly. I think I might just not be understanding the instructions properly for WxWnd. Maybe I need the install process for WxWnd explaining to me as if I was a child :D I didn't have any problems installing it on my win7 rig but that was a long time ago.

Thanks
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Soulmusic wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm I always get the warning about DxWnd not being installed when I run the 2.0.0 installer too despite me having DxWnd in that directory already.
if you installed DxWnd with the 2.0.0 installer you will not get this message.

the reason the installer version must be used is it sets registries that warning message reads.

first thing I suggest is to uninstall every thing BOTF related.

run installer and only install DxWnd and vanilla

DxWnd tasks select

"Set shortcuts to use Windowed DxWnd Command line arguments"

vanilla tasks

select your desired resolution.
keep other tasks default

test using DxWnd.exe in "install path"botf\tools\dxwnd_windowed\DxWnd.exe
Soulmusic
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Soulmusic »

Thanks for your previous reply :) Rimworld and Project Zomboid have occupied me in recent months.

Fixed!
stbof.ini Turned movie off :lol: :grin:

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”