AFC site status

Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Re: AFC site status

Post by Grady98 »

Not sure Justinius. Waiting on TC or Tethys or someone to talk to me in PM and I will be happy to help fund or backup data and run a site. It isn't that expensive as best I can tell.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

29BQ wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:21 pm Before you shut down this site for good, can you inform us in advance? Others would upload those files to the web servers, so others will access to them at some point. Thanks!
as long as it is in my control, yes I would give at least 30 days notice.

but at this time there is no plans on shutting down AFC
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

We've had other guys that kept silent for a long while and jumped in just by the moment they were needed. (thinking of cleverwise here)
So if closing the site is into real consideration, I'd rather vote to hand over control to some stranger like this Tethys guy who jumps by every now and then. :mrgreen:

Once you're into the seat and get responsibility, things become very different. Of course that might include a change of content and community, possibly introducing other games, but this doesn't have to be to the bad.

In addition, I am sure TC is never going to silently shut down this site, but will at least give proper attention and hopefully helps to at least secure all the invaluable modding info. He has cared on this site for so long with such an enormous devotion, it's unbelievable to me when he did any different. :D

So no reason to freak out, at least for now. Instead, rather participate to keep this place alive, which I think is what this topic actually was about!
Last edited by Flocke on Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:52 pm
Whew, welcome back Tethys!

Awesome you are willing take over if TC steps back! :grin:
I still hope we can improve prospect for TC to keep with us and just reduce presence if needed.
The little the community has become, I really would miss something without all of you and this awesome place :!:
Hi Flocke, Thank you for the welcome back! Not sure who this Grady guy is, but you and TC already know my passion for BotF. I have owned this game since 1999. It's one that keeps me coming back even if I have stepped away for a year or 3 at a time.

It was good for me to branch out and disassemble other games. I have done some light works in the last 2 years which include Bridge Commander, Dominion Wars, and Starship Creator Warp 2. Dominion Wars and Warp 2 work together as you can create a ship in Warp 2 to be imported into Dominion Wars. A lot of different model combinations exist in those BLT files. But anyway, these disassembly experiences I think have strengthened my knowledge of disassembly in general. I now know how to use xref effectively to traceback, but I still have trouble with that damn stack.. I think that will always be my weakness.

As for this site, my offer still stands. I am not working Bridge Commander anymore.. the community has imploded and I won't be part of it, nor dedicate my time to create mods or further disassembly for people who pretend to be interested, but seem have destructive motives. I still don't have a whole lot of time, but leaving Bridge Commander until further notice I think will open up some valuable modding time for GALM. I have already made some tweaks to GALM, with more to come. So, there could very well be an update in the future TBD.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:13 amI think will open up some valuable modding time for GALM. I have already made some tweaks to GALM, with more to come. So, there could very well be an update in the future TBD.
Sounds great! But keep it real.
You know it's always more work than expected with BotF. Just some minor tweaks and adding some of the patches for your liking might be great. :wink:
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:59 pm Is it possible that you ALL suspend this subject for the time being :?: That said, it's great all of you are still around. And no hard feelings. :up:
I know most member dislike locking topics, but I hope this helps

Just to clear things up in this topic

1. I have never said this site is shutting down on x date
2. I have never asked for help
3. I would miss this this site if it shuts down as well

if some one had asked me 2 days ago I would have said "right now I have no plans to shut down AFC"
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:25 pmI have never said this site is shutting down on x date
Indeed. Still the uncertainty is scary. This state of uncertainty is nagging on all of us.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

justanick wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:08 am
thunderchero wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:25 pmI have never said this site is shutting down on x date
Indeed. Still the uncertainty is scary. This state of uncertainty is nagging on all of us.
Life is uncertain, But if you worry about it too much you are not enjoying life.
enjoy things while you have them.
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Not sure if this is going to triple post or single (something is going on with my internet and I lost my original post).

Either way, talked to TC with the encouragment of Flocke (thank you sir). Summation - Two people who care and one who has put in a ton of work to keep this community going (sincere thanks to him!) and he understands where I am coming from trying to help and keep it going. Simple miscommuncation and all is cleared up and I apologize to the community but also know that we are all human and this shite happens in comms and love for BOTF. ;)

At any rate, we are all moving on for the betterment of community, game, and site.

Here to help,

Grady
You can find me back in sick bay sipping my romulan ale and laughing over a study I read where a Klingon got the worst case of Tellurian Mumps on his...
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for any escalation of this issue I may have caused, I am glad we were able to work this out and get things back to normal.

I know I could have handled this better, just goes to show I am not an AI running this site.

@ Spocks-cuddly-tribble and Flocke feel free to edit your posts as you desire to lower the confusion and betterment with in this topic as Grady98 and I have done.

thunderchero
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

LOL Nice. AI hasn't replaced all info ...yet.

On the other plus side, "no such thing as 'bad' publicity." Just opportunities for friendships and good change.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Phew, for a moment that looked like warp core breach is imminent, luckily the safeties kicked in in the nick of time.
Impress the Empress.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:27 pmFlocke feel free to edit your posts as you desire to lower the confusion
Is there any confusion in there? :mrgreen:
The confusing part still is topic and your second post. All thereafter is waving resonance that kept pushing up!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

So we are nearing the "end times" soon. How are we feeling these days?

If you think activity is slow here, maybe go check out the Dynaverse forums and see we're a bit more active :lol:
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:14 pm So we are nearing the "end times" soon. How are we feeling these days?
AS I said before there are no plans on shutting down, But I will say it again

Good to see you are back around I guess life is starting to settle down with your new child?

Did those files I sent help any? any Galaxy mod update in the future?

Return to “Site Information”