Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by Danijel »

This issue is not related to windows or game.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Danijel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 am This issue is not related to windows or game.
I agree but with more people testing and wanting to see the great work you have done, it might be time to consider creating an installer that will check and install as needed all the pre-requisites?
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 am
Danijel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 am This issue is not related to windows or game.
I agree but with more people testing and wanting to see the great work you have done, it might be time to consider creating an installer that will check and install as needed all the pre-requisites?
Lets say thats halfway done, we gotta fix/add some other stuff, clean root directory, I personally would love to put live updates in also, so there are no more dloading of patches, but as with anything, "free time" is kind of sparse these days :p .
But thats not the problem with last request,...it is related to manufacturer and their software(and again i atm dont think it is bad or something, just misconfigured).

On game install/extract side, game will offer you to go to MS site and dload xna(atm), if you dont have it.
It is only requirement at this point, unless you are running Win7(not SP1) or older OS.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

No use in providing an installer (yet) when patches/updates are rather frequent. Instead of "forcing" players to download 600MB every time there's an update, we're providing (small) cumulative patches; for relese we should have the Updater working, so that the process is automatic.
Like Danijel already mentioned, the game already checks for XNA, and provides a way to dl and install it. We have that covered :wink:

I admit installing every file currently is kind of confusing, because of the music/sfx patches, but Danijel already uploaded a new full build to the site, fully updated. Still needs a bit of cleaning up, but it should work ok. I'm in the process of updating the ridiculously outdated manual, and in the near future I'll put together a new release.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Danijel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:08 pmI personally would love to put live updates in also, so there are no more dloading of patches
Iceman wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:30 pmfor relese we should have the Updater working, so that the process is automatic.
Requires forethought. How do you handle updates affecting save game compatibility? You players will hate losing interesting sessions mid-game.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:52 am Requires forethought. How do you handle updates affecting save game compatibility? You players will hate losing interesting sessions mid-game.
By disabling automatic updates in the Updater tab of the Settings window. :wink:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

In this case it might be smart to have this checkbox also in the saved game menu with a hint to enable only if no ongoing interesting games?

Would be good customer service. :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

When you start a game, if i recoil right, it'll tell you if there is an update, with question update or not, not goes to menu and u play a game,..
Update opens download screen, and I'm not sure if it starts right away or its making sure do you really want to update. But there is way where, in essence you dont have to update it ever, it'll ask only while starting game and entering main menu,...i think :D

Return to “Supremacy”