custom resolution

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
VoivoD
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

custom resolution

Post by VoivoD »

Hey, I just tried your installer, and then I used the tool to change the res to 1600x900 (my laptop), repacked files. But the game crashes now. Later I would like to try on my pc (4k). Any help? I've read elsewhere someone had the same problem.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: custom resolution

Post by thunderchero »

to create a custom resolution, many gui file would need to be edited to new gui size and wdf file would also need to be hex edited also to match

it took me 3-4 week to edit files before it was time to use repatch tool.

respatch tool is supplied due to it is required to be used when changing map size also
VoivoD
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by VoivoD »

OK, so it's not a matter of using res patch & repack?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

just for 1024 x 768 I had to edit;
454 images
198 wdf files
VoivoD
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by VoivoD »

Hey, I think I can do an efficient HQ AI upscale. Can you send me the original untouched images to process? :-)
I'll do 4k version, and later one could downsample for lower res versions.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

VoivoD wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:39 am Hey, I think I can do an efficient HQ AI upscale. Can you send me the original untouched images to process? :-)
I'll do 4k version, and later one could downsample for lower res versions.
you can install the vanilla 800 x 600 version (or 1366 x 768 for wide version) and extract any needed file.

note; this might not be as easy as you think, the 16 bit tga files uses a single pixel color of upper left corner as transparency color. :wink:

in past upscaled images transparency did not display properly without editing

even after that all the sub-images would need to be re-positioned, since they are placed from upper left by pixel.

good luck
VoivoD
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by VoivoD »

So the game sees a color of 255, 0, 255 as a transparency. This is weird because I see this first time that high color images use specific color instead of alpha channel.

How should I proceed, because I see that gui buttons are not upscaled. Are they resized by game? Very few actual pictures have higher resolution, I see only *_c.tga, and some ships in gif format.

What resolutions I should upscale/edit to?

Can ship 256 color (gif) textures can be replaced by high color tga's? Can explosions and wormhole be replaced also?

What images did you actually edit/add besides *_c.tga and few ships?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

VoivoD wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:07 pm So the game sees a color of 255, 0, 255 as a transparency. This is weird because I see this first time that high color images use specific color instead of alpha channel.
it reads what ever color is in top left pixel (yes game mostly used 255, 0, 255 as a transparency)
VoivoD wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:07 pm How should I proceed, because I see that gui buttons are not upscaled. Are they resized by game? Very few actual pictures have higher resolution, I see only *_c.tga, and some ships in gif format.
no idea how you should proceed, currently I don't even own a 4k monitor. so I would not be able to even test or help much.
VoivoD wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:07 pm Can ship 256 color (gif) textures can be replaced by high color tga's? Can explosions and wormhole be replaced also?
no, I wish they could be changed also.
VoivoD wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:07 pm What images did you actually edit/add besides *_c.tga and few ships?
tbh as little as possible, my main objective at the time was to gain more/clearer map space.
as you already noted button and many image sizes were never changed or upscaled by game. (game can not upscale any images)

even font files are set size and use tga images
viewtopic.php?p=18464#p18464

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”