microsoft at it again ???

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

microsoft at it again ???

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I got a strange report of installer hanging before adding res files
viewtopic.php?p=61553#p61553

same thing or very similar was also reported on discord.

with all the testing past few days I have been getting constant "file in uses by a different program" message on trek.exe and installer and unable to delete file without rebooting my system. I have no idea what program would even have exe open and nothing in task manager.

to me this is getting very frustrating

for me this started a couple weeks ago, I expect after one of many windows updates.

what has Microsoft done now?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: microsoft at it again ???

Post by Flocke »

I had no issue with fresh reinstall. And I'm running latest Win 11. :roll:
Oh, but I always disable the pesky notifications to send in samples of unknown software. :mad:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

simple test run installer
wait for task bar icon to disappear
try to delete installer
if it does delete you can always un-delete installer

if it does not delete what program is it open in and why now?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:32 pmI got a strange report of installer hanging before adding res files

I think I reported to you the same issue (with Windows 10) two or three years ago.
Problem is caused by pending/hidden windows update tasks. Solution is checking update settings and finishing all updates before installing BotF. :mad: :mad: :mad:

thunderchero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:32 pmwith all the testing past few days I have been getting constant "file in uses by a different program" message on trek.exe and installer and unable to delete file without rebooting my system. I have no idea what program would even have exe open and nothing in task manager.

for me this started a couple weeks ago, I expect after one of many windows updates.

Recent Windows updates changed some of my AV settings, so might be an AV issue?

E.g. Panda AV silently kept J-ShipEdit from updating files in stbof.res for me. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:53 pm
thunderchero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:32 pmI got a strange report of installer hanging before adding res files

I think I reported to you the same issue (with Windows 10) two or three years ago.
Problem is caused by pending/hidden windows update tasks. Solution is checking update settings and finishing all updates before installing BotF. :mad: :mad: :mad:

thunderchero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:32 pmwith all the testing past few days I have been getting constant "file in uses by a different program" message on trek.exe and installer and unable to delete file without rebooting my system. I have no idea what program would even have exe open and nothing in task manager.

Recent Windows updates changed some of my AV settings, so might be an AV issue?

E.g. Panda AV silently kept J-ShipEdit from updating files in stbof.res for me. :mad: :mad: :mad:
With mine and my Ntlite Install for my windows 11, it seems others may have had the same issue as me even though my os is cleaned out of fat

I don't use antivirus and have not since windows XP days,also with my Ntlite I removed windows defender as well as windows updates since I can update windows through Ntlite. This allows me to control all my updates.

If it helps I am still on 22h2 not 23h2. Hopefully it helps a bit in narrowing down the issue. As I said before in the forum link that got posted it was .net that prevented anything from happening after the compressing happens at the end.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Return to “General Chat”