New installer Beta available 11-20-23

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: New installer Beta available 11-20-23

Post by thunderchero »

branch has been updated since you last downloaded

Edit; with alt.res loaded, preview of tga not loading, but to be fair it never has loaded image. :wink:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:18 pm
Flocke wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:14 amGood suggestion, I'll add a warning. :up:
Even the max byte ID FF might be problematic and requires many special case tests (and perhaps some code workarounds).
So max shiplist.sst ID FE might be the best choice?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 am Maybe including values in sub_48B470 helps with this? There is a max ship ID +1 check, so max number of ships should be FEh.
Even when sub_48B470 now is found to be unrelated text parsing only, I both added ship limit warnings and another integrity check for when 0xFE is exceeded. As far I recall, in some code locations, like for the ship orders and results, 0xFFFF = -1 is also used for unassigned ships, and there might be some signed byte checks as well.

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:18 pm Very strange, some reference bytes in the opcode are signed (hidden movsx vs word or dword), so patched cmp codes using 80h+ will only work if the register is changed to byte size (e.g. al, dl). This is the main issue in the code problem by thunderchero (e.g. 80h vs dword is FFFFFF80).
I totally forgot about that. Gowron already gave a great explanation on it:
viewtopic.php?p=5228#p5228
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:18 pm Gowron forced the jump with EB (my example also removes the pointless cmp instruction).
It's both not pointless, but I now implemented some better patch:
viewtopic.php?p=61650#p61650

Gowrons patch is still supported and preferred if limit is not exceeded.

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:26 pm but getting this on integrity check;
Error: at 323954: alien ID is 124, but should be 125.
this happens now on all mods tested except ECM (only mod that has planet killer :wink: )
What you actually should see is:
Error at segment 0x0004E697: Alien ID is 115, but should be 225. (fixed)

That's by the added cube ID check from:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:19 pm 0x4E698 (loc_44F295) -> Cube ID (block cube check)
323954 = 0x4F172 however is UE ALIEN9_ADDRESS for the Tarellian ID.
Either you tested some broken intermediate version or the mod you tested messed the Tarellian ID.
All reported errors I found are for 0x4E698, that's been missing in previous UE versions.
Ask the code master for what effects that BORG cube check has. :grin:

thunderchero wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 pm Null error while importing any ship
Fixed. I broke it when I implemented to read the HOB file GLAnimation values.
It has optional data that not always is present.

thunderchero wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 pm Found issue in ship/ship name, when entering or switching group you get this message [ArrayStoreException]
Fixed. I broke it when I implemented to write back unused string value memory leftovers.
The new DataString class needed String conversion for listing the group entries.

Flocke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:58 pm Thanks, I already enlarged the read string length to 12 bytes, but missed that %d gets sneakingly erased.
I'll fix to write back full data string this case and limit editing by %d.
Actually I might do so by default for all the string values, and add some settings option to do the cleanup.
Implemented, all the string value data now is written back by default, which helps to identify changes.
And for said string value I implemented some automatic length detection to not overwrite next value.

Most confusing now is when the sort order of some entries changes.
In some cases it must be changed, e.g. when some ship owner race got changed.
But there are also times where it's automatically sorted for simpler hex editing lookup.
I'll leave it for now.

Studmaster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:35 pm Your installer says ultra, mine does not but when checking your above error it does not happen to mine.
Mean: You are just not ultra! :mrgreen:
Go ahead and compile latest version from source, instead of downloading the old binary release.
And also make sure you download source from active development branch, not the master one. :wink:

thunderchero wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:26 am Edit; with alt.res loaded, preview of tga not loading, but to be fair it never has loaded image. :wink:
Fixed. It actually has been working with UE 0.8.0 and before. I just missed to update internal file load for alt.res when I cleaned up redundant code for the stbof.res file preview.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Sounds great, will take a look early next week.

I know you will be doing clean up rest of day :up:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:05 pm
thunderchero wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:49 pm thanks so much, next time I will "load all" before integrity check
I guess I should make it the default, to load all segments and only skip textures.
With added options in the settings panel. :roll:
I checked on it. The file check routine already checks all the stbof.res files. I however patched the TrekCheckTask to now also check all trek.exe segments.
It previously only checked a pre-defined set of segments, and - if not already cached - missed to check many new segments I implemented.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

one other thing I noticed, but not a priority in saved game editing. In Systems it currently has check box for system bonus "Dilithium" maybe add a dropdown box for new bonus types?

Also new types don't display new bonus icons.
asteroid/dilith displays as dilith
asteroid display nothing
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pm one other thing I noticed
I will never complete next version. :lol:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pm one other thing I noticed, but not a priority in saved game editing. In Systems it currently has check box for system bonus "Dilithium" maybe add a dropdown box for new bonus types?
Any map editing requires updating the bitmask (planets, sun, atmospheres, adjacent anomalies), albeit the BotF random event codes don't do it...

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pmAlso new types don't display new bonus icons.
asteroid/dilith displays as dilith
asteroid display nothing
To be fair, even my default feature doesn't display all new bonuses (e.g. ex-rebel, battle-tried, some atmospheres) i.e. you just see it in the build list whether structures are available. Even Alien Artifacts require an extra patch to display the string when viewing planet stats, and adjacent anomalies can hide in unscanned sectors.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:10 pm Any map editing requires updating the bitmask (planets, sun, atmospheres, adjacent anomalies), albeit the BotF random event codes don't do it...
When you talk of bitmask, it can have all at the same time I guess.
How many icons would that be? :shock:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pmWhen you talk of bitmask, it can have all at the same time I guess.
How many icons would that be? :shock:
I don't need to tell an expert programmer dword bitmasks support up to 32 items (albeit there can be only one sun type).
But icons are only for non-obvious items (e.g. not for planets, animated atmospheres & sun): viewtopic.php?p=57639#p57639
Displaying said icons is purpose of the unfinished system specials array code (we just have a limited exploit workaround).

Flocke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:39 amAsk the code master for what effects that BORG cube check has. :grin:
It prevents random cubes from spawning (NOT copies after system destruction/assimilation) if the cube build cost from shiplist.sst * X (default 1.25) is larger than the highest empire war fleet cost. Here is Borg Initial Requirements Fix used in ECM: viewtopic.php?p=46069#p46069
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:24 pm But icons are only for non-obvious items (e.g. not for planets, animated atmospheres & sun): viewtopic.php?p=57639#p57639
Point is, right now in UE there barily is enough space to display two of these.
But I just noticed TC actually wanted to notice, that for some reason, the dilithium icon isn't rendered in system panel of the map view anymore. :mad:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Sorry, I am nothing but trouble...
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:39 pmPoint is, right now in UE there barily is enough space to display two of these.
Current exploit code doesn't change the map icons (still only food, energy and dilithium, but no asteroid icon).

There is a vanilla bug with missing dilithium icons for minor races (Resource Level check, not bitmask): viewtopic.php?p=50813#p50813

The icon above the big sun animation is currently no array, so there can be only one of three possible icons: :sad:

- Asteroid
- Asteroid Belt Dilithium
- Dilithium

The 'Asteroid Belt Dilithium' icon in my patch requires 'Asteroid' + 'Dilithium' items in the bitmask, BUT the icon feature is confusing:

Random galaxy generation code sets all three bits for 'Asteroid Belt Dilithium', so you can build all three types of edifice.bst restricted structures in the system. Dilithium systems receiving the extra 'Asteroid' bit from random events don't support 'Asteroid Belt Dilithium' structures, since they only have two items. Yet the limited exploit code for icons shows the same 'Asteroid Belt Dilithium' icon. A workaround indicating Asteroids and Dilithium. :???:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:06 pm so there can be only one of three possible icons: :sad:
No reason to not show them all in UE. At some point we'll get that fixed for BOTF for sure!
Well, for UE map GUI system details I see three options:
  1. Left to the star, the bonuses could be vertically listed, possibly even in two columns. That would allow for maybe 10 icons.
  2. Far on the left side, I could add a listing with additional system bonuses. Possibly splitting them up between sun and additional ones.
  3. Above the planets, I could add another row and list all bonus icons starting from left to right.
Then ofc I need icons...

Flocke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:39 pm But I just noticed TC actually wanted to notice, that for some reason, the dilithium icon isn't rendered in system panel of the map view anymore. :mad:
Fixed. Already 12 months back I broke it when I fixed animation rendering.
Overlay icons must be set prior to the animations, so all pre-rendered frames are overlayed.

Fixing this I found that in addition I broke the mouse selection listener six months back. That's now fixed as well, so ship and planet details can be viewed again.

From commit description, I experienced some bug selection bug when I switched from ship pack details to ship pack exchange view.
While I couldn't reproduce that bug, I found another two bugs for switching back views for the ship pack.
thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:40 pm Sorry, I am nothing but trouble...
Be cursed! :lol:

Flocke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 am

Code: Select all

java.io.IOException: No main builings found for filter group main intel building
I'll need to add some check to disable intel stucture updates. Not sure what problems occure ingame when there are no intelligence buildings.
For UE I will however fix, that other changes still can be applied. Else the popup which asks to proceed doesn't make much sense.
Fixed. The popup still shows up, but now lists all missing main structure ID ranges.
It could be improved further, but I think it will do now. To not further waste time, I simply changed the message text to be more clear on partial updates. For said bug, it can be ignored but still the intelligence buildings must be fixed in trek.exe.

Flocke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 am

Code: Select all

Validation error at segment 0x00074827 [ shipNameCode ]: ♦ Read unknown code modification
This actually is caused by closely following instructions of SCT for adapting the non-appendix groups:
viewtopic.php?p=30019#p30019
I'll be fixing UE to properly detect and allow set those values.
Implemented. You now find additional options in the ship names GUI:
ship-name-options.jpg
ship-name-options.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:07 amNo reason to not show them all in UE. (...) Then ofc I need icons...
Keep it simple, for now only the used asteroid & asteroid belt dilithium icons (stbof.res d.tga & id.tga): viewtopic.php?p=57639#p57639
The suggestion by thunderchero is still most realistic/useful for map editing (not only new - planet bits after random events also need fixing):
thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pmIn Systems it currently has check box for system bonus "Dilithium" maybe add a dropdown box for new bonus types?
---
Flocke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:07 amAt some point we'll get that fixed for BOTF for sure!
Reworking the system specials array, each icon could support a popup for a resource level value (c.f. planet food/energy bonus percentages).
But this also requires many other new functions to actually use those features in game....
Until then we could simply cheese the icons array with as set of partial transparent pics showing each possible combination of icons each. :wink:
But I think my icon workaround is good for now. :smile:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:03 am
thunderchero wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 pm even ECM needs "minMinorsNumber" update?
This is a sneaking patch already included with UE 0.7.2dev5c if not before.

Sneaking changes don't necessarily have to be patched. It usually just means that UE succeeds to read old code, but fails to write old code back.
I might look into patching the minMinorsNumber code on need only.
Fixed. min-/maxMinorsNumber doesn't sneak in any changes anymore, unless the shared values differ.

Return to “General Chat”