Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: New laptop/Win 11 issues

Post by Deggy38 »

Hi Iceman,

I'm seeing exactly the same symptoms as Scottymac. Any chance I could try the same patch?

Thanks
Attachments
Error.txt
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Deggy38, welcome to the Supremacy forums!

I'll upload a patch just for you, to check if it fixes your problem.
Please let us know if it works.
Visit the Supremacy official site for game related stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:11 pm Hi Deggy38, welcome to the Supremacy forums!

I'll upload a patch just for you, to check if it fixes your problem.
Please let us know if it works.
I re-uploaded your patch, the updated data files were not in their proper place :oops: (not that it matters much, you might just see some missing strings)
I also updated it to the changes I made today.
So please download it again, and unzip it over the patch_20240216 patch (it is the same as the patch_20240321 patch, so you don't need that one).
Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Deggy38 »

Hi Iceman, Sorry for the delay - I ran several rounds with the patch applied and the crash on opening the ship building menu is gone, thanks. I missed your last message so I'm not sure which of the patches I received but I think it was the first one (I did apply it over 20240216 as you suggest).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Nice! Have fun playing the game!
Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Deggy38 »

Having played several more rounds I'm now seeing a semi-frequent crash on pressing the Turn button. I don't recall seeing this before but perhaps simply because I was hitting the other error so frequently.
Attachments
Error.txt
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It's an OutOfMemory error. We have been getting some of those. I'm not sure if it's related to the AI being more active in diplomacy.
Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Deggy38 »

Hi Iceman, I've recently come across a couple of unloadable autosaves. In both cases the crash happened while processing the turn so it's possible the saves got corrupted (they're certainly a bit smaller than the last save) but, at least in one case, the end of the file matches well with my previous save so I figured I'd send the saves in case there's another issue. Up until this point, I hadn't come across a broken save file (with probably 20+ crashes while processing turns) so perhaps it's related to some particular event occurring? Both are within around 10 turns of the previous save.
Attachments
SP Federation Large Irregular 189.sav
(866.88 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
broken2.sav
(721.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
broken.sav
(843.35 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Deggy38.
It does look like those autosaves got corrupted for some reason. I played the savegame for 10+ turns and had no issues.
When you say "end of the file", ou mean the error.txt file? So these crashes are also Out Of Memory crashes?
Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Deggy38 »

Hi Iceman, I meant the end of the .sav file (from a quick "by eye" side-by-side comparison in a hex editor). The Error.txt log was empty (at least in the second case) but attempting to load the save generates the attached Log.txt
Attachments
Log.txt
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The 2 autosaves trigger a read error at different points of the savegame. The save you attached (turn 189), will it consistently crash on the same "place", ie, turn 193 and turn 197 IIRC (the autosaves)?

Apparently you get frequent crashes, as you mentioned 20+. How often do they occur in a game, and when do they start to occur in a game (early game, mid game, ...)?

Are you using any mods?
Deggy38
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Deggy38 »

Hi Iceman, I tried playing the save without performing any actions (just pressing Turn) and played over 30 turns without a crash so I guess it's related to going to other screens (besides the galaxy screen). I tend to micromanage systems so a typical turn would involve opening and closing the system screen for a dozen or so colonies and the summary screen a few times. The crash rate did increase throughout the game (roughly in line with number of colonies) and both of the save corruption crashes occurred just after I spotted the Borg near my ill-advised delta quadrant wormhole outpost and started construction on a large number of ships, so my best guess would be some memory leak in the system page - crashes were usually on pressing Turn but occasionally also on selecting a new system from the drop-down list.

I also tried starting a new playthrough as the Borg (a really fun different challenge, by the way, thanks!) and, indeed, the reduced need to interact with systems/diplomacy etc seemed to cause a lower crash rate. In that playthrough, almost all of my crashes were associated with clicking the "initiate system assault" button. In 176 turns, I had 16 crashes (5 in the first 100 turns when I had few in-range systems and the rest later in the game - typically clustered as I'd be attacking a system multiple turns but never the same turn twice - so never immediately after a reload):
- 3 with "no suitable graphics card" pop-ups, e.g. Error17.txt - these were not associated with the system assault
- 5 with a large cascade of generic "Exception" pop-ups, e.g. Error102.txt
- the rest were a single generic "Exception" pop-up, e.g. Error128.log or identical to 102 but without the repetition.

From a quick glance, all of the Error logs seem to either be empty or match one of the attached examples.
Attachments
Error128.txt
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Error102.txt
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Error17.txt
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Deggy38 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 am so my best guess would be some memory leak in the system page - crashes were usually on pressing Turn but occasionally also on selecting a new system from the drop-down list.
That has been suggested before, and I think you might be right.

I also tried starting a new playthrough as the Borg (a really fun different challenge, by the way, thanks!)
:up:

- 3 with "no suitable graphics card" pop-ups, e.g. Error17.txt - these were not associated with the system assault
But this error log is related to system assaults, which use XNA for bombardment animations - which apparently are the cause of the crash.
- 5 with a large cascade of generic "Exception" pop-ups, e.g. Error102.txt
I've seen this issue before, but I've never had it myself.
- the rest were a single generic "Exception" pop-up, e.g. Error128.log or identical to 102 but without the repetition.
This is probably the most common OoM crash being reported lately, when serializing diplo data.

From a quick glance, all of the Error logs seem to either be empty or match one of the attached examples.
Thanks for all your research into this!

Return to “Supremacy”