"Generations" BOTF development mod

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Re: "Generations" BOTF development mod

Post by justanick »

Studmaster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:42 pmShield Generator efficiency lowered to 25
I suppose that matters little as they have been of limited effect anyway.
Studmaster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:42 pmChanged how orbital batteries work. Now can only get one per system
That could make them rather ineffective, a mere token defence.
Studmaster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:42 pmDilithium Refineries now product 2 instead of one
That could make it rather abundant. Which percentange of systems is expected to not be available for ship production?
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

After testing...the ships barely do damage or cannot take over planets unless they have dozens of troop transports. Having dozens of these teansports are very high maintenance in my mod build as well as the ships produce very little damage unless there is also a lot of them too.

This was caused by the sheer amount of orbital protection and how things work. I am still testing but so far ship battles are quite enjoyable; just got to nail some things down and see what works. Orbital might get changed to smaller shuttles in the air instead acting as orbitals....I will see.

The refineries needed this due to all races having negative numbers in dilithium mid game. It stalled out and got lame. As I continue to test everything, I may change or adapt these settings
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Taking over highly populated systems requires either many modern TT or bombing the system with many modern ships, whose torpodoes destroy structures and reduce population till fewer TT suffice. In either case a high tech level needs to be achieved first. Early TT perform poorly due to their low production value.

viewtopic.php?t=4389
viewtopic.php?t=1632
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am After testing...the ships barely do damage or cannot take over planets unless they have dozens of troop transports. Having dozens of these teansports are very high maintenance in my mod build as well as the ships produce very little damage unless there is also a lot of them too.
Have you tested assault using strike cruisers?
Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am The refineries needed this due to all races having negative numbers in dilithium mid game. It stalled out and got lame. As I continue to test everything, I may change or adapt these settings
here is location to change chance each system will contain dilithium
position: 0x17D9F4
length: 8 bytes
default value: 0.1
description:
The probability that a star system contains dilithium. Negative values are treated as zero, values larger than 1.0 are treated as 1.0 .
Home systems of major races and space-faring minor races will get dilithium anyway.
if you have not noticed, I was looking at code for Hero ships and Spocks-cuddly-tribble helped out and wrote some special code :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=61800#p61800
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

justanick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:16 pm Taking over highly populated systems requires either many modern TT or bombing the system with many modern ships, whose torpodoes destroy structures and reduce population till fewer TT suffice. In either case a high tech level needs to be achieved first. Early TT perform poorly due to their low production value.

viewtopic.php?t=4389
viewtopic.php?t=1632
My mod changes maintenance and general cost ;when people try the mod they will understand more why optimization is needed
Last edited by Studmaster on Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:35 pm
Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am After testing...the ships barely do damage or cannot take over planets unless they have dozens of troop transports. Having dozens of these teansports are very high maintenance in my mod build as well as the ships produce very little damage unless there is also a lot of them too.
Have you tested assault using strike cruisers?
Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am The refineries needed this due to all races having negative numbers in dilithium mid game. It stalled out and got lame. As I continue to test everything, I may change or adapt these settings
here is location to change chance each system will contain dilithium
position: 0x17D9F4
length: 8 bytes
default value: 0.1
description:
The probability that a star system contains dilithium. Negative values are treated as zero, values larger than 1.0 are treated as 1.0 .
Home systems of major races and space-faring minor races will get dilithium anyway.
if you have not noticed, I was looking at code for Hero ships and Spocks-cuddly-tribble helped out and wrote some special code :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=61800#p61800
Big testing will be happening tonight

Going to see if two instead of one with the refineries would work before adding more.

I didn't see that thread and it looks like it's out of my wheel house in coding at the moment but really enjoy seeing the both of you looking at this again. It would be a great thing if it works properly with Generations
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:46 pm Big testing will be happening tonight
you might also want to add this patch; "Ships survive / Strike Cruiser defensive bonus & Orbital Battery fixes"
patch is in ECM patch folder
ob_fixes.patch
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:22 pm
Studmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:46 pm Big testing will be happening tonight
you might also want to add this patch; "Ships survive / Strike Cruiser defensive bonus & Orbital Battery fixes"
patch is in ECM patch folder
ob_fixes.patch
Orbital battery fixes.....will install tonight and test as well

Thanks Thunder
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Good luck with your project :D

If you happen to make any ships, I have a whole list of candidates for ENT/TOS era based from FASA Star Trek RPG. Mostly for non-Fed since Fed always get the most love for ship models; FASA can be used to flesh out alot of the early Romulan and Klingon ship list. Some minor races are missing ship models also. For example we only have one Hirogen ship when there were 2 classes depicted on screen. We have 0 Kazon ship models when 2-3 were depicted. I haven't seen a Vaadwaur ship model, nor a Voth city ship. Where is Species 8472's planet killer (ship in the center of the ring?) Meanwhile, we have JJ Enterprise ship models and non canon Fed models (such as Excalibur, Vesta, Cobra classes) in existence. My idea was to try to use licensed works where canon is missing (much like FASA and even licensed apocrypha). Behind the scenes/unused developments would also be very high on the list. Memory Alpha used to be good until "The Burn" (the time when ST slowly started receding and congressing into it's current state) and the entire website is now completely useless as it has been combined with "Post Burn" content.

Finding a way to mirror and restore Memory Alpha from 2008 would be Paramount (as these backups would contain absolutely 0 alternate timeline/Nu Trek, pun intended)
Going to see if two instead of one with the refineries would work before adding more.
Quick answer is yes. Long answer is no.. The game can only assign one building ID as a dilithium refinery (unless you make some major code changes). Weird things may happen for the AI if, say, you used a different building ID for their dilithium refinery without granting them access to the default refinery. Similar situations can happen with the Basic Shipyard, Orbital Batteries (which it seems you already figured out), and Scanners and their upgrades. Any single building which is shared with multiple races AND a hard coded building ID in the exe is going to potentially do weird shhhhhhh:wink:

How I handled this was to leave the dilithium refinery alone (all races can access it Tech 1) and created supplementary ones based on Tech level (higher Tech got another refinery with +2 bonus instead of +1). Depending on race controlled either +2 or +3 bonus for intricate balancing.
Last edited by Tethys on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Tethys wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:51 pm Good luck with your project :D

If you happen to make any ships, I have a whole list of candidates for ENT/TOS era based from FASA Star Trek RPG. Mostly for non-Fed since Fed always get the most love for ship models; FASA can be used to flesh out alot of the early Romulan and Klingon ship list. Some minor races are missing ship models also. For example we only have one Hirogen ship when there were 2 classes depicted on screen. We have 0 Kazon ship models when 2-3 were depicted. I haven't seen a Vaadwaur ship model, nor a Voth city ship. Where is Species 8472's planet killer (ship in the center of the ring?) Meanwhile, we have JJ Enterprise ship models and non canon Fed models (such as Excalibur, Vesta, Cobra classes) in existence. My idea was to try to use licensed works where canon is missing (much like FASA and even licensed apocrypha). Behind the scenes/unused developments would also be very high on the list. Memory Alpha used to be good until "The Burn" (the time when ST slowly started receding and congressing into it's current state) and the entire website is now completely useless as it has been combined with "Post Burn" content.

Finding a way to mirror and restore Memory Alpha from 2008 would be Paramount (as these backups would contain absolutely 0 alternate timeline/Nu Trek, pun intended)
Thank you for your post

I remember you way back with thunder....2008(when I started in this forum after the move). Too bad I didn't stick around earlier to see everything on the ground floor for all these wonderful changes this game has recieved.

Unfortunately my skills are limited in coding and design. If you needed your computer taken apart/ tweaked, learn how to defend yourself or stock trading I am your man. Besides that I will try to learn a few things here and there.

Thanks
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

ASM code and hex editing took me about 10 years to fully grasp. It wasn't until about 2018 that I really clicked with the exe. I still have a lot of trouble with stack info, which is apparently VERY important when moving around a lot of data from all over the exe. Not so much important for small tweaks and changes (my niche). I have learned enough to make a significant impact on the gameplay. Not as much as SCT, Gowron, Jig, DCER, QD or TC, but just enough to make myself and a few other people very happy with Galaxy Mod.

I'm not going to toot my own horn very much, but I'm not sure which of my mini-mods I enjoy more... 5th galaxy shape or Stellar Objects increase... probably 5th galaxy since it's less than a year old.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Tethys wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:09 pm ASM code and hex editing took me about 10 years to fully grasp. It wasn't until about 2018 that I really clicked with the exe. I still have a lot of trouble with stack info, which is apparently VERY important when moving around a lot of data from all over the exe. Not so much important for small tweaks and changes (my niche). I have learned enough to make a significant impact on the gameplay. Not as much as SCT, Gowron, Jig, DCER, QD or TC, but just enough to make myself and a few other people very happy with Galaxy Mod.

I'm not going to toot my own horn very much, but I'm not sure which of my mini-mods I enjoy more... 5th galaxy shape or Stellar Objects increase... probably 5th galaxy since it's less than a year old.
Well long way to go for me lol. After doing thunders modified code for camera and saw it work was a little treat for me saying "I did it"

Some things just might need some hand holding for me or school of hard knocks.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

I had a game again tonight and I got my butt handed to me. Looks like I may have fixed the issue with assaults. This was on easy as well

Added hero ships for Federation(not going into huge amounts)
Nx Class Enterprise
Enterprise A and Enterprise A Refit
Enterprise B
Enterprise C

Added Patches
"Ships survive / Strike Cruiser defensive bonus & Orbital Battery fixes" (thanks thunder)
Ai absurd offers fix
Remove unneeded rendering calculations patch
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Acamarians and Andorians ships finished, working on the others at another time

All minor buildings finished....now getting a minor will be a big milestone in your playthrough and can help to get you onto the cutting edge of their unique building technology. The buildings however will be much more expensive and higher maintenance to compensate for their stats! There ships will be decent early on but as ship upgrades happen, they will fall off a bit as the game continues on.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Finally had some time to do some more work on Generations

Added hero ships for Federation
Enterprise D
Enterprise E
Voyager
Defiant

That should be enough for now and will work on Cardassian hero ships next time.

Minor ships finished

Angosians
Breen

Return to “General Chat”