Season 2 Tournament Discussion

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

QuakeDevil
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by QuakeDevil »

Yes yes, the final has started!! With RSE taking the Cardassian Union and BORG taking the Klingon Empire.

The game got off to an auspicious start, with Flocke dropping out as the game loaded, which wasn't bad for me as i had a 145 system with no terra.

We loaded up again and that game was off and rolling. I started with a 175 system and had 75 terra to grow into.

Cards started at the far right middle edge :x and from what i could deduce from later on, the Klings started at the far left middle edge. (I wasn't able to get range to his systems at all.)

I scanned the space around me for about 10 turns until i ran into a romulan colony, and only because i had extra range from colonizing a dil system.

It seemed like a poor starting position for the cardies, who were only too willing to meet a major empire and begin the conquest of the quadrant!! :twisted:

The Cardassian Union declared war upon the Romulan Star Empire after only getting 15k in demands. From reading Flocke's reports in the lobby, it sounded like the Ferengi were breaking open their coffers of latinum faster than college men with a beer keg. This didn't bode well for the cards, with the opponents on opposite sides of the galaxy, and the klings 2 sector tt speed making for quick and aggressive conquering.

As I feared, the Klingon Empire made short work of the Fergs at turn 29.

I was trying to demand from the Feds, but they instead offered an affiliation treaty. It seemed like a break of good luck, I had extra range, trading routes and ai support of ships.

Cardies were finishing up with the Roms, when the map showed Sol lost to the Klingons at turn 35. Damn fast tt!!!!

Cardies then finally took the Romulan Empire at turn 37. I turned my fleet hastily toward fed space to stop the takeover by the Klingons.

As my scouts went into fed space, they reported back that the Klngs were taking systems with 7 BC2's and the necessary tt. Another 2 fed systems fell before my fleet was in 2 sector range of the last fed system.

At that turn the klings attacked the outpost and would take the system next turn. With my fleet 2 turns away I could only watch as the BORG assismilated another major race. Fed was gone at turn 42.

Seeing i had lost the war of conquering resources, i retreated back to an outpost and kept building card dd. After a couple of turns of gathering my fleet i headed to take a kling/fed system. Leaving a fleet of 7 dd at the outpost for defense. The Klingons attacked it with a fleet of 9 scouts, half vet. I knew i would lose, but thought i could get half of the scouts.. I ended up taking out 1. :evil:

I took the system the next turn. And my scouts reported identifying Klingon DD2. This prompted my fleet to retreat to cardassia and resume building up the fleet.

Around turn 60 Flocke colonized a system, after card intel destroyed 2 colony ships, to get range to my colonized systems.

His scouts had range to all systems, but his dd could only reach the colonies. And he proceeded to raid them netting around 200 credits a turn.

My scouts scanned tt coming over to his fleet, and i managed to pick off 1 of them. But i knew time was running out, so I upgraded my fleet and started hunting his fleet down.

As it was getting late, and it looked like it was to be a cat and mouse chase, we decided to call it a night and continue tomorrow.

I must say I am impressed with Flocke conquering, and fleet building. But the final say will be the battle to come. The cardassian union looks forward to smashing the weak klingon fleet to pieces. :twisted:

QD
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

RSE finished off, BORG rulez the galaxy!
Yeah I've won the tournament!! :twisted:

Well, turns got long and QuakeDevil already knew he didn't have a chance anymore at about turn 70 maybe, so it got boring to him.
But after we've been in a stalemate situation for several turns, I decided to swap fleet to cloaked ships. And I wanted to finish research on k'vorts, that have been close.
I ended up with about nine fleets of scouts2 + 2 fleets of k'vorts, having scrapped all my dest2.
I've build orbitals on the outer systems and many intel-security on all my colonies, to keep QuakeDevil away from damaging me. It might not have been necessary, but with gathering about 2000 intel points by micromanagement, I managed to block his intel attacks. (actually I feared him stealing the money from all my srcapped destroyers ;))
This took alot of time and I'm sorry that QuakeDevil lost his motivation on this.
Anyway we've been playing about 4 and a half hour today, beginning at 7:30pm gmt+1 and finally met with fleets on turn 96.
He did have about 7 fleets of dest2 and didn't stay a chance, although he managed to kill all my k'vorts.

here are two screens from battle and map:

as you can see, we've been far away from each other and concentrated our fight on Merak that I've colonized once, got killed by QuakeDevil and recolonized by himself to get range on my space.

QuakeDevil didn't manage to get any further meanwhile I've been switching fleet, cause I've sent some scouts into suicide, killing one colony ship and one troup transporter.

I've had a much better economy with my 13 systems (ferg + fed conquered) than QuakeDevil did with his 7 (roms conquered), and I had a much better research as well. Additionally he didn't manage to harm me with his intel, so time was on my side and that's how I played. Not doing any risky.

With my new fleet and after QuakeDevil mentioned that he got bored that hard, I finished him off quickly in our only major battle. Before, we've playing mouse and cat switching roles a long time.

All in all I think it has been a great game and QuakeDevil has been doing very well for a cardassian on such a far distance. :mrgreen:

Thx for that match, thx for the tournament!! :)

-----------
So I'll have to make the rules for next tourney?
Well, I like t3 and I also like to see a mod being played, if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Oh and we got our own lobby in WarZone today!! :D
Last edited by Flocke on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

All Hail Flocke, the new Champion!!

Certainly a game worth of the final from what i've been reading from the two of you. Good on ya both :D
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Congrats Flocke! I'm looking forward to what you have in store for us in Season 3.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

well done, master Flocke... well done... i suggest trying bop and introduce a bit more length to game play - this blitz stuff is getting dizzifying...:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thx!
Where is my special rank, slaves? =)

I think bop is a great idea, but where is the enthusiasm gone?
So quiet in here...

We can have a pause so I'll keep my title some time longer, won't matter to me. Currently I've much to do anyway. ;)
ruthlessferengi

to win an MP tourney is no small feat and Flocke deserves all the accolades appropirate to the title.

also, i think we should get rid of an option to select better pop in the early stages - play what you draw and hope for the best...

RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Congratulated you on the zone but I will here too to break this silence. :)

Well done Flocke, you deserve the win. These borg implants are a bit itchy, though.
ruthlessferengi

question to Flocke and QD... I'd think 7 fleets of cardassian d2 pack a pretty awesome ramming stock ... how come they lost vs only 18 HC1? did you use scouts2 to ram on first turn?

carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

yeah ,well done Flocke I dont think we've chatted in wz since your victory.
Have you any thoughts on the next tourny yet? BOP sounds like an interesting idea,how about banning the romulans? :) :P
btw if the implants are itching give 'em a squirt of WD40,that'll sort 'em out.
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

He only had two scouts2 in battle as far I've seen and well, don't forget my 90 scouts2 or what it has been. I've saves if you want to try ;)
None of my HC1 have survived anyway, but nearly all of my scouts2 did.

By the way, these borg implants shall be itchy, very itchy hehe :twisted:

Regarding starting population, it might be possible to add a little check to the dpnemu project for warning on very unequal starting conditions (including distance). But this might need several tests and time to figure out...
I didn't like the current rule on this as well, but it's a bad tourney match with having a big disadvantage just from beginning on.
I think it would be better to demand people telling their populations by the rules and define relations for the different empires that have to be matched.

EDIT: With bop, I've only tested an early version yet. I liked it very much, but am unsure about balance in mp of different techs and dunno how long these games normally last. The orbitals are stronger as well as other defense and it might take much longer...
So I would like to get some more advise on this. :)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

Here is the final bracket for season 2

It was a good tournament I hope everyone had fun.

thunderchero
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Congratulations Flocke, although in the strictest sense, you did not win...

... you busted them up :D
(freely adapted from "Peak Performance" ^^)
Flocke wrote:With bop, I've only tested an early version yet.
You'd probably have more fun with the current version, as there have been numerous improvements through the months :)
(e.g. longer shiplist and "self-upgrading" buildings in the newest version)
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
ruthlessferengi

if BOP is not up to everyone's taste, how about vanilla 1.0.3 that thunderchero put out? at least will make an AI a bit more interesting ...

having said this, we have this epic BOP with industirial credit patch installed. Fun mod but there were several frequent crashes in the middle of the turn (like at turn 2 to 5), occasional battle crash - which i suspect has to do VISTA issues - i had same problems with vanilla when I played on vista/xp mix MP...

But as far as the early game is concerned - i.e. from level 1, BOP (particularly with credit patch) is unparallelled... developement is smooth and failry fast to allow a 3-4 MP session for mod size galaxy from level 1

finally, i think Flocke needs his rank pips adjusted... :)

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ruthlessferengi wrote:finally, i think Flocke needs his rank pips adjusted... :)
definately!
But, well, at least it's giving me a pretext for having some pause. :lol:

I'll give bop a try and test it in sp. Have thought to get some more input for new conditions. :roll:
1.0.3 will be used instead of vanilla for sure and I'm planning to include bop as well as 'new' vanilla in next tournament. :)

Return to “Multiplayer Games”