Tournament 3 - Season 1 2009 Pre-Discussion

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Doesn't seem to make sense changing back to 1.0.2 when having an already working 1.0.3 version.
I'll start the signup for it within the next days meaning the tourney would start in beginning of next year if that's ok. :)
kingy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by kingy »

Easy all

ive got a feeling that this will get me killed by the mob
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

but hear go's.
how about no clock race's, in the early rounds, becoz of the clocks only 2 races ever get picked and iam starting to feel sorry for the other 3. (and that ive still got probs fighting clock v clock :)

but as i said this is going to get me killed, but i thought i would post this anyway based on a few game that i have played with people when we picked one of them 3
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

could we not selet population size in first round? i.e. everybody get what they get, no reloads.... if we accept the unpredictable behaviour of botf in other aspects, lets go all the way and allow chance to play havoc from turn 1....
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

kingy wrote:Easy all

ive got a feeling that this will get me killed by the mob
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

but hear go's.
how about no clock race's, in the early rounds, becoz of the clocks only 2 races ever get picked and iam starting to feel sorry for the other 3. (and that ive still got probs fighting clock v clock :)

but as i said this is going to get me killed, but i thought i would post this anyway based on a few game that i have played with people when we picked one of them 3
dude,

speak this way no-one will give a poop....

JBL

:P

Ps that man left my house with an empty sack!!!! :P
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Signup thread is made, hope you're content with it.
Cause the new tournament enhances BotF by a modified version of the 1.0.3 "new vanilla" mod/patch I decided to have an additional test week in that last minute changes may be applied and lengthened the signup phase.

I decided to remove trade routes as previousely mentioned cause with new 50% scrap payback of 1.0.3 the ferengi has been far too powerful in relation to other empires on tech3 games. Without of trade routes for all empires but just two remained ones for the ferengi franchise office I think I've found an acceptable balance.
As side-effect, having no trade routes makes AI even more challenging than it already has become by 50% scrap payback, so I decided to lessen difficulty level a little.
I've only tested in SP and didn't found time testing balance in MP so it's basing on my own experience and knowledge, but I'm confident in it (and hopefully am not named tournament champion without of reason!).

Test it, practice for tournament, have lots of fun, continue discussing, and SIGN UP!!! :D

Hope we'll get as many people as last time or even more!

Cheers! And a Happy new Year! :)
kingy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by kingy »

by flocke

I decided to remove trade routes as previousely mentioned cause with new 50% scrap payback of 1.0.3 the ferengi has been far too powerful in relation to other empires on tech3 games. Without of trade routes for all empires

-

dude i am a it lost on this, i thought the scrap back was 100%, (but dont hold me to that, as all i did was scrap a ship and i get money, i never looked much to see if i was getting the full lot), so if it was i can see why u have put it down to 50%,but u now taken away trade routes, which mean in my head, that we have lost near on all the (nice) ways of making money, (e-g scarping, trade with minors and majors) so that all is left is trying to rob money with intel, or asking for it off A-I's

p-s iam still looking for these post's about the trade routes, and the scraps cost, but if i find them, i might get to why this has been done,
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

50% scrap payback is part of 1.0.3 "new vanilla" mod and has been done cause of the annoying ability to build masses of ships (like colony ships), then upgrade them by research and scrapping them afterwards to get 2times or more of the credits back! That has been very, very annoying to most people and now won't be that profitable anymore.

I know you got much money by traderoutes but I thought it's a good way for getting it better balanced. As compensation I already lowered the difficulty level so you won't have the -20% industry handicap.
Now you need to think about investions a little more and it's a little harder to bribe minors but with testing it in SP it still worked out very well.
Additionally it lessened the influence of the AI on the game cause if AI fights you and makes treaties with your opponent now you can be sure that he won't make that much credits by traderoutes anymore. ;)

As far I know there's no known way to stop ferengi having traderoutes without of friendship treaties, so ferengi would have been much too powerful without of this changement or there would have been needed alot of other changes for compensation.

As for Intel and raiding being left to easy making money...
This might become interesting and even give cards, roms and klingons a chance on t3. Ferengi and Federation still can quickly upgrade their destroyers and have an easier way to get advanced minors.

I like it this way and recommend to test it.
Leaving 1.0.3 as is is by far too unbalanced to get it played in a tech3 tournament!
But I'm still open for alternatives. 8)
Last edited by Flocke on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by kingy »

[quote="Flocke"]50% scrap payback is part of 1.0.3 "new vanilla" mod and has been done cause of the annoying ability to build masses of ships (like colony ships), then upgrade them by research abd afterwards scrapping them to get 2times or more of the credits back! That has been very, very annoying to most people and now won't be that profitable anymore.

nice one, on scrap back point, get work- now i know that why this has been done ive got no prob with it,

[quote+"Flocke"]Additionally it lessened the influence of the AI on the game cause if AI fights you and makes treaties with your opponent now you can be sure that he won't make that much credits by traderoutes anymore. Wink

and on this, good point, i do like the idea of them not makeing money, when they all gang up on me :).

i did play a good few game last night with ruthless, but they never lasted that long as we were allway's right next to one and the other.
but thanks for the help showing why this and that was done, so ill put up, and shut up now and get some more games in :)
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

I think that the 5 min tactical turn is awful.

If my opponent agrees to play without is that ok?
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

jonboylondon wrote:I think that the 5 min tactical turn is awful.

If my opponent agrees to play without is that ok?
Strategical, not tactical, but well, we can make that exception if noone complains about.

If I play without of a timer, turns can become very very long for me, sometimes lasting more than 15 minutes *cough*. I myself don't have a problem with it cause people normally always have to wait on me and not the other way around. I'm just playing the game different, concentrating on more important things, with having a timer.

Something I definitely will add to the timer rule is that pauses of course are allowed but have to be requested the turn before. If you need to quickly depart you still can swap back to desktop and botf will pause the timer automaticly till you swap back to the game. But you should better inform your opponent and abuse of it is of course forbidden. ;)

EDIT: Have added the following to the rules:
Flocke wrote:Pauses have to be requested a turn before taking place and you should make clear agreements on when to continue.
If needing to depart quickly for a short moment, you can swap to desktop and afterwards back to the game. BotF will automaticly pause the timer for you, but keep aware that your opponent might be waiting on the other end. Abuse of course is forbidden.

Agreements on disabling the timer (or using another value) are allowed for specific turns as well as for whole game.
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

yes i like n limit turns also as i have a family and kids with me that once in a while i need to deal with plus a moaning gf

Return to “Multiplayer Games”