Ground Defense?

BOTF Strategy Guide

Moderator: thunderchero

TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Ground Defense?

Post by TurboC »

Maybe I'm blind, but I have never understood how you can tell an enemy system's ground defense. Where is it listed?? I'm tired of losing giant fleets of transport ships in seemingly ridiculous defeats.

Supposedly you need 1 transport to counter 100 ground defense - how about transport II, do they count for 300? (similar to colony ship II doing 300 worth of terraforming?) And is there any equation for your chances vs. ground defense?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

to view gound combat of any system. have tooltips on in option. then select system you want info on and change to small map. then just place mouse over that system til this tooltip box is shown like this;

thunderchero
ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ketteringdave »

I don't think you need tooltips on - hovering over the star works for me without it.

If you're checking the strength of your own troop transports, by hovering over the ships at the bottom edge after selecting the task force, I'm pretty sure that you need to tooltips off.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

your right ketteringdave it works on systems with tooltips on or off
and on your TT only when tooptips are off.

thunderchero
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

Hmmm thanks. I remember seeing that display now, but it never seemed to make sense when I kept losing. How about my questions about the transport strengths, is it always 100 each, or more when upgraded?

I've been reading some of the tips, some are pretty amazing, such as transport + colony ship = instant terraform of any size planet (seems like a bug...) Say I wanted to do the attack-system trick with scout ships... and there are 6 orbitals, planetary shields, 590 ground combat strength. I'd need (in listed order)

6 sacrificial Scout Ships (top group)
6 transports (or less with stronger transports?)
A cruiser to take out the shield? More?

If they have a Bunker Network, does that automatically multiply their displayed ground combat strength? Would 6 transports be too risky against 590, if so, would I want 7, 8, more?
SolarStorm
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SolarStorm »

I can't remember what the troop transport ground combat is but my method for assulting a system is as follows.

Don't have your troop transports as part of you planetary assult fleet as they will be easily destroyed by the Orbital batteries. Make sure all the OB's are destroyed. Continue assulting the planet with you fleet for 2 or 3 more turns to take out infrastructure and population, then bring in you Troop transports and use them in the assult. It has never failed for me since I started using this strategy.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

My preferred method is the one hit KO approach.
If i'm going to take a system i try and have at least one TT per 100 units of ground defence., i have plenty of cruisers, i make sure in the shiplist there's at least one cruiser per orbital battery and then a squad going spare between these and my TT's and then set them all to attack system.

My TT's are safely away from the Orbitals (they shoot at whatever's at the top of the list of ships you've set to attack system, hence having plenty of cruisers) It's rare for me not to take the system this way and i have the advantage of having most of the infrastructure intact still (intel aside, these ALWAYS get wiped out), including more often than not structures i couldn't build myself, and if you've not destroyed the structures that boost morale that you can't naturally build it makes policing your conquered world a bit easier.

And one more thing: having tons of cruisers mean you're able to defend yourself if you have the oppo counter attack you, because you've not sacrificed them like you have with your scouts, and i usually find the cruisers that have engaged the orbitals have taken hull damage so these ones can sit out the next system invasion while i rotate and use undamaged ships and allow the previous force to repair themselves.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Ground Defense?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

TurboC wrote:Supposedly you need 1 transport to counter 100 ground defense - how about transport II, do they count for 300? (similar to colony ship II doing 300 worth of terraforming?) And is there any equation for your chances vs. ground defense?
Since no one else answered yet:

Unmodded BotF: TT-1 -> 40, & TT-2 -> 160

More info: -> 2. Ground Combat Values
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56

Note there is also a random influence !
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Also, some good info came out in this thread.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

always have 1 or 2 extra TTs than you need to account for bunker networks

always have a heavy ship bombing BEHIND the TTs to ensure the shield generator is taken out
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

man, how do you take planets in t3? Playing ferengi
i have 15 tts 1 attacking Qronos, no orbs, defence 509, no shields... all get wacked... each tt attack value is 40... so should cover... and that's normal level too... i feel like i am playing bop but this is tourney:)

edit: i took it with 20 TTs 1, ground defence 490... Then lost 18! tts to nausicans with 4 orbs - 6 scouts 1-> 18 tts -> warcruiser... lost all scouts AND tts. Brutal:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

The rule of thumb seems to be (based on the findings in another thread) bring enough TT's so that you have twice the ground attack as the system has in defense.

So in your first example RF, if your TT value is only 40, and Qo'Nos has a 509 in defense, you need (509*2)/40 = 26 TT's to guarantee success. :o Anything less than that is a crap shoot.
ruthlessferengi

yeah... tt1 is not very powerful at all and 26 tts on will be taking 80% of maintenance fee of the fleet:) man, it does not pay to be an aggressor...

ruthlessferengi

weirdness continues:) so i lose 5 tts (200 offence) vs 100 defence on klingon colony. fine. they are hairy, sweaty and slippery - tough to handle klingons on t3. i come back, mow down pop to 38 out of 214, and try again (200 offence vs 68 defence). I take the colony. To my giddy surprise i find there are living and thriving (but defiant) 214 mln klingons living there enjoying 29 trade routes... 29!!! man.... this is tourney mod. I wonder what's going on here??

The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

That's pretty weird alright!

Also, I left one tiny detail out in the above post. The TT force should have twice the value +1. So 200 vs 100 still has a chance of failure. 201 vs 100, should never lose. So long as our calculations are right of course. ;)

Return to “BOTF Strategy Guide”