Ultimate Mod 4 - BETA v2

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Ultimate Mod 4 - BETA v2

Post by Dafedz »

lo. This is the repost of the Ultimate Mod 4 release, still in its Beta stage due to a few instability issues.

ULTIMATE MOD 4 - BETA v2 BACKGROUND

I have not attempted to alter the feel and flavour of UM3 too much, so there have been no wholesale changes to rebalance the gameplay of trek.exe. This has mainly been because A). I have not encountered Gowron lately so have not had the chance to bend his ear on his modding techniques, B). Without that third party assistance I have not had the time to discover and test all his techniques myself.

So Ultimate Mod 4 remains, for now, Vanilla-ish in AI gameplay (Vanilla with a few choc-chips and nuts sprinkled in :D

BRIEF MOD NOTES

Ship-wise, UM3 players can expect to see all my old UM ships return to action, phasers firing. One new Federation ship makes an appearance, a non-canon ship I call 'Utopia-class', a modern Sovereign-era Heavy Cruiser, replacing the Galaxy-X class.

This was to replace the Galaxy-X, that it seemed many were not a fan of. This ship will do I guess, it's my own design even though I'm not a big fan of non-canon (Fed) designs being used in game. The texture job is not as ideal as I wanted, thus the Sovereign was used as a template, but all in all it seems to perform well in combat. For those that don't like it, simple: replace with old Galaxy-X and rename all necessary files hv__.xxx in accordance with UM4s shiplist.

The Dominion makes an appearance in this mod for the first time, as promised in the release notes of UM3. The Ferengi have been replaced. All Dominion ships except one are included with the thanks of Siggi (of Ultimate Dominion Mod). New models for the Federation Outpost and Starbase also appear from UDM2. The one new Dominion ship I've made for this mod is a Colony ship (replacing the reconditioned Acamarian cruiser of UDM).

Multiple modifications have been made over the top of Ultimate mod 3 - structures, stats, images (im too lazy to rediscover and list all new content, some you will have to find yourself :) . But expect a common overhaul of many many things, and it took (and takes) a long and arduous period of time to swap out chunks of game content for new material, in both graphics, text, and models, particualrly when a whole empire is concerned.

But much of the new stuff necessary for this wholesale change is indeed new, and not taken from any other mod. As stated, the only material borrowed from elsewhere is Siggi's Dominion ships, Jigs Dy-100, Galor and Keldon (although I've retextured), and that's about it.

I nod my head in humble thanks and approval in the direction of messrs Jig and Siggi for their work and contribution to BOTF modding. It is a useful and lucrative arrangement, as much content of UM3 was leant to UDM, and now thus the circle returns. We share and share alike, and all are enriched...

IN ADDITION:

-Modified Ferengi GUI has been implemented for those playing as the Dominion. This was an important change, as I felt it imperative that a player differentiate a new gaming feel and experience for the Dominion. The GUI is convincing and looks adequate indeed I believe, and far better than if the Ferengi (and all gameplay elements thereof) were simply appearing as essentially the same entity as before, but renamed 'Dominion'. On top of myriad new graphics - icons, buttons, galactic map fonts/colours, and even a rotating Dominion cursor have all been made.

-There is nothing as yet to be found in the Ultimate Mod 'franchise' that reflects Gowron's great endevour to unscramble trek.exe. Much of the flavour of BOTF vanilla is retained. I've yet to discover all of Gowrons modding secrets, and did not wish to simply overlay UM4 with his .exe file. In time, perhaps, when more is known, fixes and rebalance amendements will be made.

-Two new minor races have been also included (on top of new races in UM3). The Ferengi now appear as a minor. The Bajorans aren't spacefaring now, (their ships in vanilla were useless anyway), but they are not quite passive like a normal minor - they do have something else to keep their militia busy . Also, the Gorn are now space-faring, and have a refitted and retextured Ferengi Raider as their warship (until I get round to making a new design for them).

-The mod has been made in accordance with the Hades combat mod, thus all textures (that are here included) have been reduced to the requisite 256x256 resolution. A slight degradation of draw quality is noted, but 3d runtime simulations are now considerably improved in stability, and virtually crash-free.

-The list of enhancements are extensive. It has been much work. One key point which you must however know in advance of playing is the 'division' of the tech tree. This was an idea I noted that was posted on the AFC forums - thank you for the idea whoever you are, let me know and I shall credit you. The concept is, that there are now significant gaps in the research process, designed to attenuate the specific Trek eras of [TOS] [POST TOS/TMP] and [TNG to beyond]. The tech 'epochs' are now: tech 0-3 / 4-7 / 8-10. Expect a much longer period with your TOS ships now. This has worked well in testing, and serves to enhance epic play.

-Another extensive change is the addition of more than 100 new Audio files, which represent various games sounds and voice-overs. These incorporate the file English.snd, and must be added to C:/BOTF. This file caters for not only for the diplomacy reports for new races, but to completely replace all Ferengi material (in some ship combat areas with reused Cardassian dialogue).

That's about it... Bottom line. If you like UM3, you'll like UM4 more
:)

INSTALLATION

You will need Winrar. Until a self-installer is implemented, use the good old fashioned method.

I have uploaded 2 files to 4shared. One contains game files, the other contains trek.exe and English.snd (and the readme.txt). You obviously need to download both. They are:

BOTF_UM4_GAMEFILES-Beta2.rar
BOTF_UM4_OTHER-Beta2.rar

Don't d/l the others.

Unfortunately I couldn't upload all as one RAR file, as the file size exceeds 100mb. This is mainly because of the 1,500 (believe it or not) modified image files used by UM4.

NOTE: Botf Standard for modders is required. The dlls for Hades are required (not the GIFs - they are included with UM4). A CLEAN (ie unmodded) 102 version of the stbof.res is required.

DOWNLOAD

KNOWN ISSUES

- The Bajorans when encountered are 'Enraged' by default for some reason. This bug has failed to resolve itself. Please let me know if anyone finds a way to fix this.

- The Dominion structure 'Anti-Proton Array' does not enter the build queue as desired when the tech is reached (awaits a fix). The structure is a reuse of the Cardassian 'Covert Sensor Array', (which was meant for both empires to build). It may be that it is similar to the Fed's Utopia Planitia, and is a special structure that cannot be modded for other empires to use...

-A problem with starabes which continues to mystify. For some reason I think Klingon starbases can't be built. Please list these problems in this thread, and/or any suggestion for fixes or workarounds.

-Crashes have been noticed when encounering certain minor race systems, notably the Corvallens. Have attempted to correct this but success remains unknown - further testing required.

Thats about all folks. I'm taking all and any volunteers here to try the mod out - would love to hear from some UM oldskool players to check it out. Have fun, and please remember to post your thoughts, feedback, and any bug reports.

I hope I haven't rushed the mod before time and overlooked some glaringly obvious bug/flaw! But as best I can tell, almost everything works ok.

cheers
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

HI dafedz! Good to see you back. I posted what I think was the problem and solution to the starbase issue, but I think it got lost with the board problems. Looking at the starbases with UE I noticed some were set to upgrade from outpost II. To function as they do in vanilla they need to be set to upgrade from nothing. I'm not sure, but I thought perhaps your intent was to get the outposts to automatically upgrade when tech was reached? If so I think the problem is with the command function for the troop transports. If you have outposts before the SB level is reached they will auto upgrade. But you can't build more outposts because they are now outdated and you can't build SB's because it appears that the need to have an outpost first is hard wired into the TT command screen. So you end up with a blacked out build SB command.

So, if you want the SB's to function like vanilla simply set them to upgrade from nothing.

If you want them to auto upgrade you need to change the starbase to function outpost. That way you will avoid the troop transport command error. (Unless of course you know how to fix the command screen for the TT so it will display a usable SB prompt without an existing outpost.)

EDIT:You don't have to rename the starbases, just change their function to outpost. The only draw back is SB's will show as O on the galaxy map.
Last edited by eber3 on Tue May 06, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

easy fix if you want the first outpost to upgrade to final starbase by tech levels, set all of them to function outpost or starbase but not both. then all will upgrade and troop transport will be able to build the starbase availible at the tech level you are at. But I have not tested this but should work.

thunderchero
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

thunderchero wrote:easy fix if you want the first outpost to upgrade to final starbase by tech levels, set all of them to function outpost or starbase but not both. then all will upgrade and troop transport will be able to build the starbase availible at the tech level you are at. But I have not tested this but should work.
thunderchero
No, you have to set them as outpost, starbase doesn't work. It's a function of the troop transport command screen, you have to have an outpost before it will let you build a starbase. So, if you call outposts starbases then you can/will never have outpost... so you will never be able to build starbases. The only way it would work is if you can modify the command screen for the TT to display a functional starbase button. On the other hand if you set the function of the SB's to OP's they will be constructible through SB II because the TT will never reach a SB level so it's OP first rule will never go into effect. I have used UE to verify this.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Call me thick but can't you go into UE, find the minor races info and mess around with the slide bars that set the minor race morale towards each empire? Or is the Bajoran problem something deeper?

I think it's a good twist to have them as they are because they were very guarded after what the Cardies had done to them.

Besides, i declared war on an empire that was giving the Bajorans problems, and between that and a massive gift payment i was able to get them on side and eventually become members anyway. (ironic as i was the Cards at the time :lol:)

Not had any crashes so far to report, i noticed the Fed outposts were set to auto upgrade to starbases, but that's easy enough to resolve on UE as has been said.

As for the Dominion, isn't their system a bit on the weak side? All the other empires have 500+ pop, where the Dominion has 400, as well as them not having anywhere near as many structures ready built to deal with the expanded pop. i was able to remedy the buildings (basicly i gave them about 8 more industry buildings)
but i tried to change their third planet from barren to oceanic and screwed it all up.... I had to delete the planet file and graft the version that came with UM4 onto the res file...

teaches you to always back up your work before messing around with things :lol:

EDIT: Romulan and klingons have the same issues with the outposts as i said the federation had further up.
Last edited by stardust on Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
CorranP90
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CorranP90 »

hey im having problems playing um4 as sometimes getting breakpoint crash or game shuts down on turn 13. can anyone help me resolve the issue as i love the game
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

EDIT Never mind dafedz, apparently the beta2 files have worked for others. I must have had a bad download that corrupted the files or something. I'd try again, but I already have it working using the old files and the hotfixes, so I'm happy with that.

Dafedz,

I don't know if you are even checking this thread or site anymore, but I think there is something wrong with your Beta2 files. I tried several times to get a working install using them and couldn't. I'd previously installed from the first set of files with no problem. I had to give up on the Beta2 files and reinstall the mod using the original files plus the hot fixes. I'm not sure what the problem is with the Beta2 files but it appears some files are missing and others may be corrupted.
Last edited by eber3 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I talked to Dafedz a few days ago, and he has limited access to any of the files for UM4 but he should be back shortly. But it my be a few day or longer before he will be able to look at any problems.

thunderchero
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

@ EBER3,

I did not have a problem with the BETA files. It might be worth downloading them again, just to make sure you don't have a dud copy.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

sean_west wrote:@ EBER3,

I did not have a problem with the BETA files. It might be worth downloading them again, just to make sure you don't have a dud copy.
That could be. Maybe they simply got corrupted during download somehow. I have a question for you, if you start a game as the Cardasians and look at your ship queue do you have the graphics for the destroyers? Those were two of the files that were missing for me.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Yep, all the graphics work fine. I have the main pic, the wire frame and the small icon in the queue.

It sounds like you have a corupt download buddy.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

sean_west wrote:Yep, all the graphics work fine. I have the main pic, the wire frame and the small icon in the queue.

It sounds like you have a corupt download buddy.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

have just begun the UM4 download...

... download complete gonna play it and then tell you what I think. :-)
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Edit to an earlier post of mine...messing around with the disposition a minor has to any given empire seem to throw it out of kilter and set them to 'enraged' by default.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I just downloaded the files and checked aiminor.wtf

I can see what the problem might be. Race names were replaced in aiminor.wtf and also trek.exe, but some are not terminated with 00. The Bajoran entry in trek.exe is BajoransKtarians you could change that to Bajoran 00 Ktarians
it might fix the problem (if not also rename the entry in aiminor.wtf). Moving Ktarians most likely wouldn't work.

EDIT: also I'm missing cy ship files. Can someone here who downloaded the said files check the archives (not stbof.res) if the cy files are there?

Checked and setting Bajorans to Bajoran in trek.exe works and you don't need to edit aiminor.wtf

Return to “Ultimate Mod”