HOW TO ADD MODS

HOW TO: ADD MODS - (manually); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

HOW TO ADD MODS

Post by thunderchero »

Credit for this post topic; jigalypuff

To add a mod which has no installer do the following.

first follow any instruction in readme by creator of mod
Create a new folder on your desktop.
Open the mod with winrar.
extract all files into new folder.
Go into the main botf folder (C:\botf)
find the file called stbotf.res
open it with winrar (you do not need to rename it)
add all the files in the new folder to the res file. (except exe and readme)
copy exe to install folder (C:\BOTF)
delete the new folder once all files are added.
enjoy the game.
Last edited by thunderchero on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Oblivion »

Btw I think I should mention 7Zip also works as well if not better than WinRAR for stbof.res file replacement.

Currently using 64Bit version on Server 2008 64-bit and its worked fine.
ThrawnCrusher
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ThrawnCrusher »

i can't get the new udmIII mod to work
my pc will only play the game intro and allow you to choose your race before crashing
no more than 30 seconds into the start of turn 1 the game repeatedly crashes
any ideas or help?
AbunaiAite
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AbunaiAite »

I cant seem to get the Borg Mod to work. I put the Files in the stbof file with winzip but it dosnt seem to work.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

WinZip corrupts the stbof.res file because it overwrites it with it's own version of the zip format. Use WinRar instead, even 7-zip will probably wirk.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Another lil question,

is it possible to add as more non-installer Mods to stbof.res with winrar that I want and do they all work? I guess there would be incompatibilties.

However I never managed to get a non-installer mod to work til this day though I followed all the instructions step by step.

If I would to decide to go back to a "traditional" install one day (without using the multi installers), just installing from CD or mounted image would I have to create a BotF install itself for each mod and rename the folders again? I think so.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

manual install is still possible when using multi but only to 1.0.2

this is due to multi mods the exe has been edited to use differant reg settings and location of files. but if this is done 1.0.2 will not work and will need to reinstall to get back to where you were before manual install. and creating backups would help but not a reliable way unless you know exactly what file were changed.

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I don't understand you completely. Is that supposed to mean that I can install mods manually to 1.02 by adding them to stbof.res? If i start 1.02 exe after that is it going to work or is there no way to get the job done til now?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

captaindusk wrote:I don't understand you completely

Ok I will try to explain.
captaindusk wrote:Is that supposed to mean that I can install mods manually to 1.02 by adding them to stbof.res?

Yes just remember to follow all instructions given by mod creator. Each mod has differant things that is needed.

example other than adding new files to stbof.res with winrar almost all mods you will need to copy exe to install path. and other want you to setup nocd and others have new files for videos and ending alt.res.

captaindusk wrote:If i start 1.02 exe after that is it going to work or is there no way to get the job done til now?
Yes it should work
1.0.2 multi is the only version that has an unedited trek.exe so this is the only install of multi that would work with manual installs

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Okay. That explains why manual mod installing never worked for me til now. I tried adding them to a "tradional" installed version. Maybe I finally should start getting mods to run with 1.02 multi. :) Thanks a lot admiral. :wink:
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I guess I've been a little too hasty about everything working now. I just tried to start multi installer 1.02 for the first time and guess what? Blackscreen only endable through taskmanager. 1.03 which was installed into another directory keeps working fine though. I guess that means I can't try installing mods per hand by this time. :cry: Any ideas?

I just started a game with the latest multi UCW mod. Seems to be another great piece of work. Can't thank you guys enough for all your huge improvements to this great game.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

captaindusk wrote:I guess I've been a little too hasty about everything working now. I guess that means I can't try installing mods per hand by this time. :cry: Any ideas?
what mods are you tring to install?

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I added no mods by hand yet. I just tried to start multi installer 1.02.exe for the first time.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

try it again have had some people on first start get hungup in video loop just let it run and have sound on if it is looping it maybe trying to catch up.

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I tried it several times now but it still doesn't work. There is no sound or picture at all no matter how long I wait. I use to experience a similar problem when trying to start every of the working instances after the video playback. But after I started task manager there the game always continues to run fine. But not in the case I'm mentioning right now. Seems Vanilla 1.02 isn't working for me due to whatever. :cry:

Return to “HOW TO: ADD MODS - (manually)”