HOW TO ADD MODS

HOW TO: ADD MODS - (manually); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

you can uninstall 1.0.2 multi without uninstalling mods than reinstall 1.0.2 multi just when told folder already exist just say ok or yes.

if you get same problem you might want to try redownloading 1.0.2 multi you might have got corupt download.

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

I'll give it a try in about 5 minutes. i just noticed a pretty weird thing. Does not fit this topic perfectly but I hope you won't mind. I used UE to modify Vanilla 1.03. I set the morale punishment for the Federation attacking systems to zero. To test I cheated and opened whole map to get places of the systems. found the ferengi, declared war (with punishment which I want), attacked system and no punishment. (I did this because I don't want to get punished anymore by defending myself against races that declared war to me). That always annoyed me getting punished for defending myself. But now comes an odd thing.

I already saw where the klingons where and set a course to meet them and get to know them as they were unknown. I fighted a colony ship but no screen "you have made first contact" appeared. they remained unknown. did I set wrong values in UE or is that a bug? or why is that? After several other fights they also stayed unknown. Or is this regarded to the -Mudd cheat to reveal the map? :?:

I noticed that in the events window there had been a message that I had met the klingons in sector d5. But this was at the other end of the galaxy and no humans were near there. And in diplomacy screen they were and stayed unknown.
Last edited by captaindusk on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
war800
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by war800 »

captaindusk wrote: I already saw where the klingons where and set a course to meet them and get to know them as they were unknown. I fighted a colony ship but no screen "you have made first contact" appeared. thes remained unknown. did I set wrong values in UE or is that a bug? or why is that? After several other fights they also stayed unknown. Or is this regardet to the -Mudd cheat to reveal the map? :?:
i'm gonna guess that its probably because of that.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

thunderchero wrote:you can uninstall 1.0.2 multi without uninstalling mods than reinstall 1.0.2 multi just when told folder already exist just say ok or yes.

if you get same problem you might want to try redownloading 1.0.2 multi you might have got corupt download.

thunderchero
Thanks thunder, reinstalling fixed the problem. :D
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

this is due to when you used mudd if you went to diplomacy screen you could already talk to them and all minors I have used this to test minors special building once they become members. and we have never meet and they are out of my range lol

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Good to know.

And finally my last question for today. At least I hope so. :wink:

When i use UE to modify game values I e.g. load stbotf.res to edit morale punishment values. After that I wanna also edit ships values. All works fine don't be concerned. :)

My question is, do I have to save after each step? I mean. edit punishment values - save. Edit ship values - save again? Or is it enough just to save once after both steps are done?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

save when you are ready to save I have only ran into out of memory limit once and that was adding over 50 ships at once. and since that happened DCER raised memory limit. also new dev version has option to create backup and then you would be able to restore last changes but this would be overwritten next time you save. and is in testing that is why it is called "dev" for Developmental stage.

thunderchero
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

So this will definately be my last question for the moment as I'll go to sleep after this post.

Finally with everything working as it's meant to be I tried to install the Borg Mod by hand. I opened stbof.res with Winrar 3.80, added all files but txt and 1st files, selected store as compression method and tried to run Vanilla 1.02.

Surprisingly for the first time ever it started up just fine after I added a mod manually. But I didn't notice any little change inside the game at all, though the Borg were mentioned to be a major playable race in this mod. What mistake did I made :?:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you did nothing wrong, this is a 5 year old mod that changed very little.

thunderchero

Return to “HOW TO: ADD MODS - (manually)”