Galaxies MOD; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: (Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.3.6x1

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:27 am
thunderchero wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:39 pm :idea: just wondering could "add and remove ship models" use largest tga from ship pack to re-size and rename for missing images?
I knew you'd reissue that request! :lol:
The main problem with it is that I'd not want to enforce any scaled image fixes. One might not intentionally apply the fixture while having a better version in place and next run miss that there was a replaced image. Therefore I'd need to implement some alternative fixture option. Maybe some fixture menu to the bottom of the integrity checks. But I know what request will come next...
I opted to add a graphics fixture button to the ship model view. It uses the largest image found and rescales it to the missing image sizes.
I further changed TGA image implementation to use the BufferedImage class for creating scaled images. It produces a much better scaled image quality than what's implemented for the thumbnails.
gfx_fixture.jpg
gfx_fixture.jpg (121.75 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
fixed_gfx.jpg
fixed_gfx.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Flocke wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:27 am At minimum the broken image export still needs to be fixed.
But I also collected a few other things on my UE todo that I'd want to include if possible...
I'll see what I can get done over weekend.
Almost weekend again, so maybe this time I manage to complete the next UE dev release.
The image export is fixed, I implemented multi ship model selection for all the options, massively improved file load, added the new graphics fixture option, an import all graphics option, added slot compatibility checking plus a scale tolerance option, implemented automatic slot assignment for multi ship model import when no target slot is selected, and implemented a ton of other fixes and improvements.
:cool:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

So I realize now we can do something like this, I think SCT was complaining about inadvertent save/load overwrite during hasty dev work.. something like this should help cure that issue (in game image, just moving the image placeholder, accept button, and some resizing dimensions)

I was looking into maybe creating some in game switch but apparently it already has one built into the image placeholder. It can be resized to whatever you want the image to be, it can be blended with the background if you have the source image ;) ps. Don't mind that extra save slot.. it doesn't work.. yet :P

4F0A10
and
4F0A60
loadsave.png
loadsave.png (262.67 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:44 amI think SCT was complaining about inadvertent save/load overwrite during hasty dev work.
This great patch by thunderchero solved my issue quite nicely and maintains the vanilla GUI style for ECM: viewtopic.php?p=57056#p57056
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Great patch indeed! I was going to make buttons and such, but decided on the easier route (re-enabling the save/load tgas into the picture placeholder). I will eventually update to the new format. In the meanwhile, here are some treats:
Also.png
Also.png (325.26 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Also1.png
Also1.png (355.64 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Also2.png
Also2.png (157.89 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Last edited by Tethys on Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Also3.png
Also3.png (399.86 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Also4.png
Also4.png (400.48 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spent a few hours making an 'ok' gif for tactical combat. The red one is just a little wobbly.. but we will call it an easter egg because multiple star system replaced the red giant star (which goes supernova, effect still present/star collision)
multi.png
multi.png (30.91 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Tethys wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:13 amgif for tactical combat... multiple star system
Looks nice! A shame we had to scrap the new sun animations due to graphic driver issues. :sad:

Btw I use your old starname.bin as base for an extended one with 810 random names in ECM, I hope you approve: viewtopic.php?p=60284#p60284
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:35 pm
Tethys wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:13 amgif for tactical combat... multiple star system
Looks nice! A shame we had to scrap the new sun animations due to graphic driver issues. :sad:

Btw I use your old starname.bin as base for an extended one with 810 random names in ECM, I hope you approve: viewtopic.php?p=60284#p60284
When doesn't BotF have some driver issue? I also combined the palettes for the White, Orange, and Red suns. Probably should have done Yellow instead of White. Cut down the palettes by 3 just now because I shared them with the Multi star palette. My count is at 116. I feel like someone found away around the palette issue though? I'd have to search, for now I still have room for 11 models.

I notices a few of the gifs have a glaring artifact (line on the bottom/side) in some frames. I could track it down, but it might take hours. Perhaps some other time; there is more important, and/or easier things to do right now.

Also I am honored you are using the starname.bin, a lot of hours went into creating the list. I pulled from very many sources.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Tethys wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:00 pmI feel like someone found away around the palette issue though? I'd have to search
Not really, thunderchero determined its not a trek.exe, but a mpr+ issue. His test workaround works only during the battle and crashes the game before returning to BotF. Flocke and me analysed this mpr code an found no relistic way to solve this. :sad:

Tethys wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:00 pmAlso I am honored you are using the starname.bin, a lot of hours went into creating the list. I pulled from very many sources.
Feel free to use my further extended starname.bin (just remove easter-egg systems and some minor-race system names). Still about +180 random names.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Palette Combined Star GIFs

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:03 pm
Tethys wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:00 pmI feel like someone found away around the palette issue though? I'd have to search
Not really, thunderchero determined its not a trek.exe, but a mpr+ issue. His test workaround works only during the battle and crashes the game before returning to BotF. Flocke and me analysed this mpr code an found no relistic way to solve this. :sad:
Then I may combine all the suns into a single palette , it's not too much more work, I just put all the suns into one gif, save with a palette, then resave each individual sun with last palette.
► Show Spoiler
;) Eventually I will have all objects in the game on single palette :lol:

The hardest part was creating the gif files without a properly sized grid (256x256)

Starname, I can't remember how many entries in the file but I think there is enough for every star type. If I encounter any issue in that regard I may revisit. Thank you :)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

GALM BUG REPORT:
Supernova effect is bugged. The replacement star type (multi star/trinary) has an issue where when it goes supernova and deletes away the ani files, the game will crash.
Reloading the continued save (clicking continue) loads the next turn as if the game proceeded normally. There was no tactical combat, so I can't say if combat will first run or not before the crash (it probably will run, as Continue picks up on the next/current turn, not the previous/last turn).

Possible causes: A mismatch in some file name, or code referencing to some erroneous filename location causing a mismatch. No crash log. (Probably missing red giant file name)

Environment: GALM Dev 0.3.7x unreleased; Doomsday mod by SCT, Crystal Entity depop by SCT, Borg planet ani replacements by me.

I will first investigate the Borg section since it is more likely I make mistake than SCT. From there will look into supernova effect and if I have changed anything, to change it back.

UPDATE: I disabled the event @ 44C34F via jnz > jmp (0F 85 > 90 E9) and the crash did not happen. The "supernova" never happens and thus avoids the crash. Sounds like someone has maybe miscalculated (or missed) a value which probably the pointer needed to be changed. I will use today to investigate, this set random event is largely untouched, though there may be places where mods added need adjustment in this regard, perhaps.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Upcoming: GALM 0.3.9x

Post by Tethys »

Upcoming GALM 0.3.9x changes and features:

-Complete rework of the planet types in regards to atmospheres and habitability/growth rates. Some M class will not be terraformed. Some L class will be terraformed. Gas Giants with planets around them are changed to asteroid type with "Methane" atmosphere to make use of new atmosphere building requirement (see below).

-Additional bitmasks for new building bonuses by SCT. New buildings and bonuses for stellar objects added. Systems next to stellar objects will enjoy additional buildings that give industry, science, deuterium bonuses. Gas Giants buildings requirements will now require "Methane" atmosphere; "Methane" will be set for all asteroid type dwarf star/gas giants AND Gas Giants uninhabitable ( = building available to both planet types).

-Artifacts and special systems added (by SCT). New building for this as well.

-New resource bonuses (3 tier dilithium by SCT). Adjusted metal refineries to use resource tiers. Particle fountain requires close orbiting (rare) brown dwarf for deuterium bonus.

-Slightly increased star/anomaly ratio (0.5 to 0.6) to make stellar objects more rare. More adjustment may be needed on Medium and Small maps.

-Random events: Species 8472 replaces Doomsday Machine (Borg random) and wipes out all planets at once when finished killing. Doomsday becomes new random event (Orbital Battery by SCT) and will turn one planet at a time to asteroids. Crystal entity will depopulate one planet at a time (mod by SCT) turning them into type N "Hostile" planets. *Bajor AND *Cardassia will both have the Nor class Alien, as well as the special system Trivas which will fire back if fired upon (colonize the system, it becomes *friendly). *Some bugs need to be worked out.

-Random events: Supernova/nova event disabled redirected to use positive planet shift. Nova causes some crash which is still under investigation at the time of this writing. Diplomatic Attitude change replaced with Win Research points (double chance, better for Borg race), also doubled chance for Hull Virus (Ion storms) using bitmask "no event". Immigration Boom replaced with added chance for Rebellions! (better for Borg race > rogue Borgs)

-Shipnames altered for updated appendix fix. Ships will use appendix again but will not start on A. Shipnames will continue to be replaced and reordered as updates are released and as time permits (WIP).

-Fighters and small/unarmed spacecraft small (*_30.tga) icons have been changed to better reflect their uses. Sage green Olive drab for Fighter craft, Grey for unarmed and no range, Luminous Red for Turrets. I realized recently I've been having trouble spotting the "carrier" ships in fleets of 18, so this was a simple solution I think will 'carry' over :mrgreen: to new Outpost/Starbase classification possibly using darker blue, or white bordering (see below)

-Outposts/Starbases for the Federation drastically altered. Stationary Beacon now functions as a quick build Listening Post up until tech 9ish, unarmed but very cheaply maintained and easily replaceable. Outposts will now share with Starbases in this regard, with upgrades to match. Buckingham class tech requirement increased to reflect this. Borg also share this feature with Interspatial Manifold outposts. Borg map ranges reduced for early techs.

-Slight changes to colony ships terraforming values (i.e. reworked completely). Other additions to follow (protection against comet strikes, etc)
GALM.png
GALM.png (335.54 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I also recently located about 400 lost tga's relating to building structures and minor race icons :D

Expect some of them to be in the next update as I just added and testing a few now
Recently.png
Recently.png (405.95 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I think I just hit the jackpot with large spiral generation
Large.png
Large.png (465.55 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

nice generation, does it do it consistently?

but please turn those bonuses off can't even see where klingons or romulans are, even when I zoom in.

Return to “Galaxies MOD”