Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by thunderchero »

Wow you have done a great job with all the changes in UE.

I would say I can't wait to see next version, but since I have been following the progress on github.... :grin:

It has been a great help smoothing out all of the integrity issues on all mod that are part of the the installer. UE even found a 32 bit tga in one of the older mods that was never reported as an issue. :shock:

import/export of ships now will be better now. :up:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:10 pm
thunderchero wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:10 am edit I take that back gui interface is not saving changes.
I think that refers to the trimmed palette issue you posted
Nope, I was wrong, you sent a PM short thereafter:
thunderchero (PM) wrote:Sat May 13, 2023 12:47 pm note latest version is also not saving/editing the trek.exe when changing/fixing race list and race list offsets
also aibldreq.bin is not being edited when saving after integrity check correcting AI building energy requirement
That's both fixed as well. I am sure you noticed.

The first one I broke by not marking the whole trek.exe file changed any longer. This I implemented so that the save changes dialog is not enforced any longer when the file is closed but changes were reset.

What I did not see, is that there was a bug with the race name changes when stbof.res is edited. Whenever a race got renamed, it always missed to mark the trek.exe raceList segment changed. And given I implemented to ignore sneaking changes on secondary files that aren't explictly opened by the user, it was not saved and the whole race names got messed up by every name change of a race. :mad:

The second issue actually might be a valid case for AI cheating. And even if not, it still might have effect on AI planning. Therefore I just clarified the message and lowered it to an info notification. :wink:

thunderchero wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:07 pm Wow you have done a great job with all the changes in UE.
Thanks, the mind blowing stuff I plan for next year. UE took too much of my time this year already. :grin:
thunderchero wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:07 pm I would say I can't wait to see next version, but since I have been following the progress on github.... :grin:
You gave lots of helpful suggestions and your testing was of great help! Although, UE is not hosted on GitHub actually. :lol:
thunderchero wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:07 pm It has been a great help smoothing out all of the integrity issues on all mod that are part of the the installer. UE even found a 32 bit tga in one of the older mods that was never reported as an issue. :shock:
I hope it will encourage people to create more great mods. Or maybe also some scenario maps. :grin:

Like mentioned before, my main goal was to finally fix the save game editing, that I analaysed so much on already.
Just yesterday I found and fixed another bug for resetting all the trade routes in the map cleanup menu.

Beside of all the obvious UE improvements, with it figured lots new stuff on the data structures used in trek.exe and now all can verify what hidden issues I might have missed. It further now has become a great tool for testing whenever some load or turn processing issue occurs. Even when the integrity checks don't find anything, with the map cleanup options you now can easily cancel out lots of possible issues and heavily reduce the savegame size. You can wipe system by system and remove almost anything.

Such tooling will be of great help with any advanced trek.exe modding!
Who cares on the mundane ship model import!
:cool:
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

i cant update version - does not work: says its the latest version - but it isnt
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Benman2785 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:16 am i cant update version - does not work: says its the latest version - but it isnt
next version is still in development, only way to get copy is to download source code and compile.

latest version is "improve_shipgfx_export"
https://gitlab.com/stbotf/ultimate-editor/-/branches
Benman2785
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Benman2785 »

thank you ;)
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

Hey I just came back to botf its been awhile a lot has changed its amazing but I downloaded the source code of the newest ue compiled fine I started using it it seemed great but when I went to save it comes up wit a java.util.ConcurrentModificationException after playing around the only time the error happens is if I change the shiplist by adding or removing a ship model I tried all mods and original botf and it always happens after adding or removing a ship model please help cuz this new ue seems great but I can't change any ship model and older versions r a pain to change models now
Last edited by borgpow on Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

what branch did you compile?
current one I am using is "ultimate-editor-improve_shipgfx_export"
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:58 pm when I went to save it comes up wit a java.util.ConcurrentModificationException after playing around the only time the error happens is if I change the shiplist by adding or removing a ship model I tried all mods and original botf and it always happens after adding or removing a ship model please help
I just tested it but don't get any errors. Like TC said, what branch and commit did you download, with what IDE and JDK did you compile UE, what BOTF version and ship pack did you try with?
Without more details I can't help. :sad:
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

So I found a version that has really advanced ship model editing that works perfectly sorry but u should let ppl know ue 9 dev 4 doesn't seem to work well wit models the ue 9 dev 4 wit improved ship editing works its the one u guys r talking about but it says the same version lol but thanks
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:59 pm So I found a version
You "found" a version, awesome! :lol:
It's true I should have updated the "dev" suffix of that version. But it is not a release but work in progress. It's furher not reviewed by DCER yet and therefore not on the master branch. I'm at the final improvements for this version and have all known errors fixed, so chance is good that you have a mostly stable version now. Great that finally someone does some testing! :grin:
Last edited by Flocke on Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

Question why is there several temp slots all unused that if changed they all disappear and u loose the slots and all ships labeled tmp slot even if u change the name or use it as a shit in ship list they still all get messed up used or unused or disappear
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:59 pm Question why is there several temp slots all unused that if changed they all disappear and u loose the slots and all ships labeled tmp slot even if u change the name or use it as a shit in ship list they still all get messed up used or unused or disappear
Sounds like you are describing the flawed concept of 'shared slots', that was invented to allow add additional ships without rewriting trek.exe.
You must know that the exe file by itself contains a pre-configured list of ship model properties for weapon slot positioning.

Yet there exist two approaches to add more ships than defined by the list. Either share name and add an underscore suffix, but names are limited to 3 characters total. Or keep sharing the last slot, which happens to be the 'TMP' slot.

Maybe in some time we can get rid of this hardcoded trek.exe limitation, but we're not there yet. :sad:
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

So I love the new ship editor but one big problem is the textures it adds a ship and uses already used texture names that then corrupts previously added ships cuz 2 or more ships use a specific texture then a new ship uses the same texture it messes wit the texture and in game the texture of a ship or ships is the new texture which is wrong texture so idk what the original ue ship texture function was but it always seemed to work this new one seems to have a big bug also could be the ship packs too cuz sometimes the ship packs have a texture load issue and other times the same pack doesn't have any issues so textures is the only problem I can find and it is a big problem but after many many trys I'm fixing the texture problem but it's a real pain otherwise it's great
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:36 am textures is the only problem I can find
Thanks for report, can you give some example? I didn't run into this issue yet, but also didn't test much.
From what you said I guess I broke auto-renaming the messed texture names on import, I'll have a look.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:26 am
borgpow wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:36 am textures is the only problem I can find
Thanks for report, can you give some example? I didn't run into this issue yet, but also didn't test much.
From what you said I guess I broke auto-renaming the messed texture names on import, I'll have a look.
I think I ran into this as well but could not duplicate issue. I was just adding ships (a lot of ships) to get palette above 127.
but no idea when or why it happens. when it happen integrity check will show hobs with "x" texture. and texture is not registered iirc

so you need to register texture first, then assign hob to newly registered texture.

Return to “Ultimate Editor”