Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:57 am I just tested ur new version i found no issues and wit little manual editing I used my broken mod wit bad textures and have fixed all issues wit models and textures thank you so much not just for the advanced ship editing but for the fact u listened and was about to fix and update it
Dude, you still keep talking like it was a released version. It is however an in-development version you built yourself! When you check the commit log, I keep working on the ship model import almost each day and already fixed a ton of bugs that either already have been broken with the previous release, or that I accidentally introduced while implementing new features or refactoring the code. The reported one technically is just a very minor bug of a countless list. Just take a glimpse on the changelog to get a little impression.

Bugs are normal, specially when there is no testing! :mrgreen:

I'll possibly find time tomorrow to check on the null issue and image left-overs.
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

I know it's like beta or alpha testing I'm just saying u didn't just find a bug or something and fix it u fixed bugs we told u about and I'm thankful for that not all programs address the ppls bugs or issues just wat they find them selfs or want they want things to be and I appreciate the daily updates on this forum and on the actual program is probably the best way to say it
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:34 pm still getting "null" error but noticed this only happening on old ship packs.
to me null pointer is due to ship pack missing *270.tga (when importing to 1366) I added 270 to shippack and no more null pointer.
Found and fixed. I had a null check in place, but the value was already used before of it... :mad:
borgpow wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:41 pm I know it's like beta or alpha testing I'm just saying u didn't just find a bug or something and fix it u fixed bugs we told u about
I got the point, but technically this is not even an alpha but an unreleased in development build of your own. And you actually functioned as first hand tester of the main feature I'm currently working on. I thank for your testing feedback, because testing myself all possible conditions would mean alot of effort I better use to keep implementing other stuff. :up:
thunderchero wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 am with installed 1366 or 1920
when ship model is removed during import the 270/_c tga is not being removed.
if shippack does not have 270/_c tga file the remaining/wrong image is used.
That one I can't reproduce. I tested to import the Soyuz, that's missing the *270.tga, and it properly got removed.
If there is an issue, I need more detail.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:10 am That one I can't reproduce. I tested to import the Soyuz, that's missing the *270.tga, and it properly got removed.
If there is an issue, I need more detail.
this may have been due to an error of my own
thunderchero wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 am note; these last two issues has lead me to find 2 issues with vanilla build image option and ECM 1366. :up:
but will test first of the week after your weekend code changes.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:09 am but will test first of the week after your weekend code changes.
comment "SME_PackMenu: cleanup language mappings"
I no longer saw issue described.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

May I suggest, whoever is working on UE, in a future update perhaps merging the offset calculator and hex-dec converter into the same window? Having 2 UE open gets confusing and.. tbh I think it would speed dev up. Something I think in hindsight should have been merged from the start. If its not too much trouble, I do not want to make excessive work if its too much, nevermind. I can live with 2 UE's. But if in making an update, its not too much work, please by all means merge them. Life would be so much easier :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

Have a question flocke I know the ship model stuff is not 100% and unfortunately may never be but when it's to everyone especially ur satisfaction what is ur next part of ue you might work on I'm interested in knowing cuz ur work is great and I hope botf and editing botf and especially mods never die so I'm just wondering if you have thoughts of what's next to ue or botf in general same to you thunderchero and tethys im here much more and very active again I will test anything and everything u guys do I'm here at ur disposal love everything u guys have done already thanks
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tethys wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:42 pm May I suggest, whoever is working on UE, in a future update perhaps merging the offset calculator and hex-dec converter into the same window?
Have there ever been two? I do not remember. :lol:
borgpow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 am what is ur next part of ue you might work on
Let me recap...

Actually, I never planned to get so much in depth with UE. My plan was to continue analyse and fix the save game editing in preparation for the framework project I have in my bag for too many years already. I posted on it many times already, but until I find time to complete a working sample, it is unclear whether it actually works the way I intend. And because I announced it so many times already, people aren't taking it serious. :lol:

We've had some working samples, based on code injection though, and possibilities look to be immeasurable.

While I kept fixing the UE save game editing, and implemented lots of new stuff (which noone cared about yet), I also started to investigate other parts of UE and decided to fix some mod compatibility issues for save game editing of the different mods.

Then the requests started and I realized mod compatibility was a major issue that needed to be addressed since mods are essential to BOTF these days, and so is the moddability.

That however opened pandoras box and soon lead to overwork most of UE code. A few tasks I still have on my list, but the ship model import / export I hope was the last major issue that had to be addressed.

Next year I plan to finally get this framework thing done. :mrgreen:
borgpow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 am im here much more and very active again I will test anything and everything u guys do I'm here at ur disposal love everything u guys have done already thanks
That's cool! If you like to, you might give the save game editing some try. I spent lots of time to get it work in mid-game, but beside TC noone cared to test save game editing. And I think most is still untested. If all goes well, anything you can do and much more should become possible during turn calculation by the framework project. Any remaining issues you find therefore will be of help, and even if there are none, it would increase confidence. :wink:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I am still using UE 1.8, so I'm guessing I need to update. The new UE 0.8.1dev the latest and greatest or is there something newer? I should make a backup before testing since this UE advertises off-the-bat changes. Will have to see how that pans out before continuing with dev on GALM. :)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:16 pm I am still using UE 1.8, so I'm guessing I need to update. The new UE 0.8.1dev the latest and greatest or is there something newer? I should make a backup before testing since this UE advertises off-the-bat changes. Will have to see how that pans out before continuing with dev on GALM. :)
you would have to build latest branch (improve_shipgfx_export)
link to latest files and build instructions

https://gitlab.com/stbotf/ultimate-editor
borgpow
Ensign
Ensign

Post by borgpow »

So what is this framework project of urs it seems vague and interesting lol can u point me in the direction of a description of it but I have done some save game editing when there was game crashes while I was doing my ship models and I noticed a real big fix cuz back in the day if u edited a save too much or the same game but different saves u would some how corrupt the save and need to start over that seems fixed but when I go home later I'll check out the save editor more and give u some feedback
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

borgpow wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:45 pm So what is this framework project of urs it seems vague and interesting lol
A C++ programming toolset to interface with trek.exe.

When you search forums on code injection, you'll find that we figured ways to extend the game code many years back. Even with mpr++ I included a few code injection samples like the auto-save history.
But since then not much happened, and that is mainly because you still needed to analyse and understand related assembler code to replace some routine. And in addition you also needed to master C++ coding and all this code injection magic.

Now that I have analysed and resolved so many savegame bugs and all relevant game data is figured, I reckon on that the ingame data mostly is same to what I analysed on the savegames. From SCT I know there is large consistency.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:59 pm Your work was of incalculable value for code analysis btw :)
With the framework I therefore plan to both give access to all relevant ingame data and provide some convenience routines to manipulate the data. In addition I plan to include a toolset to hook into the game code, some event and plugin system so multiple extensions can be implemented independently, and of course some basic samples.

Lots of it I can carry over from UE, mpr++ and the trek.exe container I once implemented.
What coding projects we can base on it, I leave to imagination. :grin:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:42 pm May I suggest, whoever is working on UE, in a future update perhaps merging the offset calculator and hex-dec converter into the same window?
like this?
both.jpg
both.jpg (76.11 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

thunderchero wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:12 am
like this?

both.jpg
This is definitely the droid I am looking for :twisted: Looks like it's going to speed up dev by 100%

That is.. the ULTRA Ultimate Editor (pro max special edition) :lol:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:54 am This is definitely the droid I am looking for :twisted: Looks like it's going to speed up dev by 100%

That is.. the ULTRA Ultimate Editor (pro max special edition) :lol:
all you have to do is build it.... :twisted:

Return to “Ultimate Editor”