My computer build

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

My computer build

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I have started to collect my new PC part. :cool:

I got my case first (went on sale first) and it got me thinking about cooling.

negative pressure;
I have read this will keep your system cooler, but allow more dust to enter.

Positive pressure;
will also cool very well, but help keep dust out.

I do plan on using fan filters (at least on intakes fans) to keep dust down

But what I do not understand is, since the case has so many vents how would I get a true positive pressure?

I will be using a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z that has a 120mm intake fan on front panel (filtered), 120mm intake fan on bottom (filtered), 120mm exhaust fan top (with 120mm vent), 120 mm side panel vent, 120mm exhaust fan on back panel (CPU liquid cooler fan).

As I have said before I am not an over-clocker so do you think this setup will keep me cool? and since My main objective is to prevent dust from entering. should I also filter vents and or exhaust fans?

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: negitive or positive air flow pressure

Post by Flocke »

with so many vents what I recommend is clock them down as far you can so they don't become noisy
cooling should not be a problem here, even in case you planned to overclock :roll:

as for myself I have no filters
I rather clean my case everyonce a year than the filters all the time ;)
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

It sounds like you have a good case. As far as dust goes having filters helps although keeping the external air clean helps even more. I have seen systems near windows where people keep open and the systems have far more dust than systems in areas that aren't near open windows. Obviously keep your filters as clean as possible.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

Well TC, is very hard to keep different pressure(positive or negative) inside the unit, dust will enter anyway no matter how many coolers you have. Just use a small vacuum cleaner(blowing air not sucking) from time to time and it will be ok.. or use the "Lazy Bastard" method witch i use.. just leave the case open (it is practical if you add or remove components from the PC often) no overheating problems but some dust who need to be cleaned from time to time. But.. after all.. from dust we come to dust we go. In dust we trust! :smile:
Cover me Porkins!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yeah I think I will go with a positive pressure setup, but skip the filters for now. I feel like it would only protect the fans with all the vents in case.

I just hate cleaning fans and with 2 dogs in the house cleaning is a on going project, and even with regular cleaning they still build up bad fast.

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

positive or negative air flow pressure?

Post by KrazeeXXL »

My experiences with dust filters so far:

I've got two fans in the front with dust filters attached. I find those filters as one of the best and most simplest inventions ever.
Thx to Lian Li my fans are attached with rubber cuffs to the case which makes them almost completely quiet. No need to regulate speed.

I live inmidst the city and there's quite a bit of dust here. 2 months ago, I cleaned the inside of my PC for the first time in 2 years of use. It was amazingly clean for that period of time and I was very surprised. Sure, there was a millimeter of dust everywhere but I was used to much much worse.

I usually clean the filters once a week. The first sign is always the temperature. Get to know your new system. What temperatures and voltages are normal for it. Same goes for fan speeds. It takes a bit of time but it's important to know those things in case of an error.

I've just read your last post. I wouldn't recommend to run a system without dust filters nowadays. I would never go back to an open case as I had before. Or even just a case without those filters. They're amazing. You'll love them! :up:

And it's not everything about the temps of course. Fans of graphics cards are usually the first things which will break. All fans will live way longer because of the filters. That alone is worth two 99 cent articles imo.

###

From a physical POV a positive air pressure should be better. Why? Because it's always better that more air streams into a case as this allows for quicker air exchange ofc. If there isn't enough air streaming into it, the cooling may become insufficient quickly. Not really important for a desktop PC with onboard graphics but in quick change between CPU and GPU it may heat up pretty quickly and end up badly.

Negative air flow pressure could mean less dirt/dust when I interpret your argument correctly. But that's pretty much insignificant tbh. As it's totally normal that dust and dirt enters the case. But those filters make a huge difference. And with huge I mean humongous.

Get two fans in the front or a big one and one in the back. Get the air filters in the front and you should be fine. Clean them at least once a week. You might have to clean them more often because of the dog hair and your smoking habit.

I can't tell what's worse here. Through smoking the dust filters get gluey and dust tends to stick even more and faster to them. Might be a killer combo with that dog hair, too. I'd rather have that mess outside of my case tbh. Especially when it's about new hardware which isn't necessarily that robust like the stuff from a decade ago.

Always check the temperatures. I'd suggest to use the program core temp. It has an option to protect the system from overheating. If you're using AMD set it up for 59°C and you should be fine. You get a message when the cores should reach this critical temp (60°C is max for AMD) and it'll shut the system down automatically if you've set it up this way.

Try to get some rubber cuffs for the fans so the vibrations won't carry over that much to the case. (recommended for HDDs, too)

I wouldn't let the case open. It's a possibility ofc. I did this with my old PC. But beware that this is always an hazard source. You might spill a beer or a dog might freak out, little kids might come over and stick their fingers in it/whatever.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

KrazeeXXL wrote:From a physical POV a positive air pressure should be better. Why? Because it's always better that more air streams into a case as this allows for quicker air exchange ofc. If there isn't enough air streaming into it, the cooling may become insufficient quickly. Not really important for a desktop PC with onboard graphics but in quick change between CPU and GPU it may heat up pretty quickly and end up badly.

Negative air flow pressure could mean less dirt/dust when I interpret your argument correctly. But that's pretty much insignificant tbh. As it's totally normal that dust and dirt enters the case. But those filters make a huge difference. And with huge I mean humongous.
from what I have read;

(more air forced in than being forced out)
positive pressure (with filters) will keep dust out better (seams and vents will blow clean/filtered air out)

while

(more air forced out than being forced in)
negative pressure will create a vacuum inside the case which produces a steady stream of cooling air (but dust can be sucked in from seams and vents even if filters are used on fans)

I am even thinking about making some custom filters to cover full front and bottom of case.

Right now I am still collecting all the parts for new system. I hope to have everything soon (next week or so) to get this together. :grin:

when I get closer I will start posting some images of new system build.

thunderchero
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

What are the specs of the new system? (At least what you know right now)

Jeremy
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

cleverwise wrote:What are the specs of the new system? (At least what you know right now)
bought items
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Crucial M500 480GB ssd drive
Thermaltake V3 case
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core cpu
Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler
2 Port USB 3.0 for 3.5-Inch Front Panel

items still looking for best deal
SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600
ASUS 2GB GDDR5 DIGI+ VRM technology Graphics Cards HD7770-2GD5
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM Quiet Edition fans

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

- cant say anything about the RAM. I'd go for CL7 when buying 1600s but since you're not overclocking anyway, just grab something for a good price.

- CPU is a good choice imo.

other than that. I'd take the 7790/r240 instead of the 7770. But 7770 should be fine for you.

Can't tell much about the fans. There are a lot of hardware testing sites who have librariers of tens of thousands of tests of all kinds of fans. It's ridiculous and almost an own field of science.

If I'd buy new, I'd go straight for a bluray rw. We get more and more data from year to year. It makes no sense to put money in an old tech like dvd.

But then again, this amount of data to be saved may be suited perfectly for you. Just stating my opinion.

overall, looks pretty solid. I'm glad to see a seasonic psu in your build. A good choice for the most important part in a computer.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Sounds good and I hope you enjoy the system. I have learned to trust Antec or PC Power and Cooling power supplies as they offer very stable power over most brands.

Jeremy
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

all parts ordered now, just waiting for them to get delivered.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I can't wait to see this one up and running.

thunderchero
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

It sounds like it will be a rockin' system. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

cleverwise wrote:It sounds like it will be a rockin' system. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it! :)
seconded.

dat 480GB SSD. I want one, too. I just had to resize the swapfile on my system drive to 16GB and now I only got 5GB left there.

I hate when I run out of space. 480GB sounds really nice. I'm studying whats new in the SSD market atm.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

KrazeeXXL wrote:dat 480GB SSD. I want one, too. I just had to resize the swapfile on my system drive to 16GB and now I only got 5GB left there.

I hate when I run out of space. 480GB sounds really nice. I'm studying whats new in the SSD market atm.
At first I was looking to go with 256 GB ssd and a 1 TB internal, but after seeing the 480 GB ssd so cheap on black Friday. after that it was a no brainer. :grin:

I just hope it lasts for a long time for me.

thunderchero

Return to “General Chat”