Attachments
Error.txt
(971 Bytes) Downloaded 120 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

We'll need to start addressing these OoM issues some day.
Are you able to continue playing this game, or is this crash persistent?
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Continued playing without a problem. I couldn't even replicate the crash.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, good (that you can keep playing).
Some time ago I tried to reduce the amount of data in diplomacy (namely the events that last for multiple turns).
But it's possible that there might be memory leaks somewhere.

I've been working on some minor stuff, while CaptScarff finishes his work on savegames. At some point there will be a new release.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Will CaptScarff be able to fix the savegames not saving the progress until the save? I mean, every time you load a savegame it's from the beginning of the turn, even if you made the save after making all the adjustments you wanted. Those adjustments vanish and your back to the start of that turn. Boy, it would be so cool if he could fix that!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the6the wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:55 pm Will CaptScarff be able to fix the savegames not saving the progress until the save? I mean, every time you load a savegame it's from the beginning of the turn, even if you made the save after making all the adjustments you wanted. Those adjustments vanish and your back to the start of that turn. Boy, it would be so cool if he could fix that!
I'll add that to the issue tracker, and drop him a line about it.
:up:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch.

Small fix to pop growth, and the amount of pop gained by growth was curbed for higher values. High unemployment no longer caps growth at 1 but instead decreases it substantially.
Added a bunch of new Romulan personnel, mostly in Supreme (there was some shortage); they're from PIC though...
Added new colonization event: Pirate Base.
Improved some Borg SitReps.
Borg ships should now spend approx. twice as much deuterium as before when using transwarp hubs.
The Borg now don't have fleet support from population, but instead gain it through +FleetSupport buildings.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Wow, I learn something new every time.. I had no idea the pop growth would drop due to unemployment! I frign love it!
McFly
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by McFly »

hi, after a long time I would like to spend a little time with BoTF again, unfortunately my old update link from bitbucket no longer works, where can I find the new updates?

Thanks in advance.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi McFly, welcome back!
The links to the new Supremacy site and downloads page are in the first post of this thread, it has been updated a while ago.

I'm working on an updated manual, it will be uploaded there at some point in the future. There's just so much new information / features that it's taking longer than expected...
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Just out of curiosity I decided to perform a stress test for the Supremacy under Win 11.
I played 85 turns in an 'over-huge' galaxy, 255x255 sectors. :) I chose to play as the Borg, because of quicker turns.
The game has passed the test. But.... The galaxy creation lasted about 7 minutes. The turn 50 processing lasted 33 sec. Other empires have had 108 systems colonized until that turn.
I had one crash, in turn 78: 'FATAL General - Ran out of memory serializing game data. Failed on type 'CivilizationManager''.
I stopped after turn 85. That turn processing lasted 38 sec. and other empires had 158 systems colonized.
It was not a galaxy for the Borg, because I found only 1 minor race in above 1100 checked sectors.
I still think it is not playable, because in more advanced game, having more systems colonized, the turn processing and a risk of a crash would rise significantly.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:21 pm The galaxy creation lasted about 7 minutes.
:shock:
That's 65k sectors to generate.

The turn 50 processing lasted 33 sec.
To notice that multithreading is still disabled. It should improve substantially once we enable it again. I might do that in the next patch, just to check.

Other empires have had 108 systems colonized until that turn.
That's for all 5 empires, right?

I had one crash, in turn 78: 'FATAL General - Ran out of memory serializing game data. Failed on type 'CivilizationManager''.
We haven't really done much in the way of profiling, to improve performance.
But the game has gotten to a point where we're seeing a bunch of OoM reports, so I guess we should start looking into it more seriously. I've actually updated the issue tracker some time ago with some of those reports.

I still think it is not playable, because in more advanced game, having more systems colonized, the turn processing and a risk of a crash would rise significantly.
Ok, thanks for this report! :up:
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

To notice that multithreading is still disabled. It should improve substantially once we enable it again. I might do that in the next patch, just to check.
I will keep the save from turn 85, so I will be able to check that.
That's for all 5 empires, right?
Yep, for all 5 empires.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch uploaded.
Re-enabled multithreading in turn processing.
Lowered cost of PFs to make Best more fluid.
Card Propaganda Bureau moved to TL 4 and now provides Fleet Support instead of Morale.
Surplus Depot disabled.
Zakdorn Surplus Depot changed to +Shipbuilding.

Feedback is appreciated.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I used today patch for my test game.
The turn processing time dropped about 20%, from 38s to about 30s. The higher use of CPU was only in first half og thr turn ptocessing, after that dropped to regular 6%.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 105512.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-17 105512.jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 7968 times
I have been playing till turn 161. No problems with the multithreading. However I met 11 crashes in turns: 106, 112, 121, 129, 135, 140, 144, 145, 148, 153 and 158 - all of them exactly the same type as in my previous post: 'FATAL General - Ran out of memory serializing game data. Failed on type 'CivilizationManager'.
Fortunately the crashes were (with one exception) after creating the autosave.
The turn 161 lasted 47 sec. and all other empires had 195 systems colonized.

But I found one bug by the way.
After using TWH there are still some dotted line representing last fleet travel in two variants, through the TransWarp and a regular one.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 142341.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-17 142341.jpg (702.65 KiB) Viewed 7968 times
The problem is that if I do nothing with that fleet the deuterium charge will be performed in following turns as well. I had to at least click the fleet and order it to stay in the same system to avoid continuous losing my deuterium.

Return to “Supremacy”