Monster Editing Info

Monster Editing Info; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Monster Editing Info

Post by Final Run »

does this happen in single player or only MP games? (might have a code issue in MP) note; doomsday model uses vanilla "TEMP" phaser slot.

Considering I've played 12 or so games in SP and MP (usually 100-150 turns each) in Rai MP mod with randoms on and nobody ever seeing it once, I'd say it's probably not working in both. In fact, my own experience is seeing some monsters multiple times over in a single game but never the Planet killer. Games would crash at some point (after hitting turn) though and would ALWAYS crash again after going back to turn before with auto save with random events.

But back to a test in a vanilla which I reinstalled once more.
don't forget to better test to see if doomsday is spawning use mudd and F6 bitmask to spawn more random events. :wink:
Upon opening trek.exe (vanilla) with the -MUDD command I found that my fn key was locked and the F keys were useless (F6 turns off monitor, while F10 decreases volume). All the F keys still do absolutely nothing so far as far in-game cheats. Even after rebooting my acer laptop and toggling the Fn key to actually work it simply allows me to do the same options non-game related functions, but only while holding the Fn key.

I was unable to check the box 'appears in screensaver'. It appears I have a new version of UE upon reinstalling (one that allows edits to ship firing arcs, among other things :shock: ), but the problem persists regardless.

I also get a very unexpected message when adding files from planet-killer.zip, which is not something I've seen in the other UE I was using only the other night.
Attachments
Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_16.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Final Run wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:59 pmI've played 12 or so games in SP and MP (usually 100-150 turns each) in Rai MP mod with randoms on and nobody ever seeing it once
That might be not enough for the BotF random monster code. Every serious mod developer needs -Mudd F11 for diagnostics.

After you got the F1-F5 keys working in game, try right click mod shortcut and enter in 'properties' after 'target' a space and -Mudd (M needs to be a capital, other letter cases shouldn't matter). Won't work in multiplayer and should be removed before real matches. Here with German Win 10:
Mudd.png
Mudd.png (150.19 KiB) Viewed 190 times

Note; I made the Planet Killer an erratic/slow monster like Crystal/Gomtuu to prevent it from being too destructive in low tech games. Slow monsters getting stuck on the map(or even disappear) is a mod independent problem. Means you might never see them playing a game albeit they were added at some point. viewtopic.php?p=34119#p34119

Final Run wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:59 pmmy own experience is seeing some monsters multiple times over in a single game
Multiple non-Borg monster is a load saved game bug (outdated workaround via alienInfo was deleted): viewtopic.php?t=1493

Code: Select all

NAME: Generated Monsters Bitmask Load Game Bug Fix
DESC: Ds:5A2B78 gets mistakenly deleted when loading a saved game.
AUTHOR: Spocks-cuddly-tribble
URL: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?p=20540#p20540

>> 0x0004ace5 89 15 78 2b 5a 00
<< 0x0004ace5 90 90 90 90 90 90

# 0044B8E5  NOP
Same random monster again means skip i.e. no monster this turn.

On a side note, you might want to test the F6 key for sync errors in MP (F6 is not -Mudd related).

Final Run wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:59 pmGames would crash at some point (after hitting turn) though and would ALWAYS crash again after going back to turn before with auto save with random events.
Needs more testing/info. Is this a bug with:

- all multiplayer games with auto save and random events (i.e. default vanilla)
- only with Planet Killer patch (unlikely, test ECM with MP patch if no default bug)

I noticed, way back still playing the CD version, turning off the autosave feature decreased crashes after hitting turn, or when saving games, considerably.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:18 pm
Final Run wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:59 pmI've played 12 or so games in SP and MP (usually 100-150 turns each) in Rai MP mod with randoms on and nobody ever seeing it once
That might be not enough for the BotF random monster code. Every serious mod developer needs -Mudd F11 for diagnostics.
considerably.
Things would be a lot easier for sure. I'm going to try again fairly soon in -mudd to change my keyboard configuration and report back later. The default layout was pretty odd and not at all suited for gaming.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

So I managed to change my keys and turn on map vision. Loaded vanilla with only planet killer added and found it roaming around turn 97.

The battle preview window still has the Dommsday Machine listed as Crystalline entity, and I think it's loading the wrong texture for it's appearance (purple gomtuu attack?)

Most important thing however is that it is there and doesn't seem to be crashing the game in battle or in the build screen yet. Gonna try to it again but this time in the MP mod doing single player.
Attachments
Screenshot_25.png
Screenshot_25.png (219.35 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Screenshot_24.png
Screenshot_24.png (39.33 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Screenshot_23.png
Screenshot_23.png (646.84 KiB) Viewed 134 times

Return to “Monster Editing Info”