Pioneer Universum Mod

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Re: Pioneer Universum Mod

Post by Axis »

Alternate alternate flag for Terran Federation :
Terran Federation 5.png
Terran Federation 5.png (21.2 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Last edited by Axis on Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
Impress the Empress.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I have been keeping an eye on this mod, and I am very impressed with the pushing of limits here in regards to game resolution. How does this affect tactical combat? Did I miss some screenshots? Very nice, crisp work you have here.

I just found them a few pages back. I had a hunch you would run into issues at these higher resolutions. Check all combat wdf files again, it sounds like you may have a layering or placement issue.
Last edited by Tethys on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Axis wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:12 am Is there a WDF which defines the position of the summary window?

They always end up in the middle of the screen, and if I make it taller, it's top is still in the middle
No, because the Summary button is used by all 6 screens. It uses functions similar to the *marker.wdf, meaning it is very likely hard coded

However, with clever summary.wdf dimensions (close to 4k) and positioning of your summary widgets, you should be able to move it just about anywhere you want :)
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

With UE, I can't edit many full 4K wdfs in a row, just a few and then UE crashes, not enough memory I recall.
Have to restart it after one, maybe two modifications.
Also, you can drink a large cup of coffee while waiting for the UE to save changes to stbof.res. :shock:
Last edited by Axis on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impress the Empress.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Axis wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 amYeah, with UE, I can't edit many full 4K wdfs in a row, just a few and then UE crashes, not enough memory I recall.
Have to restart it after one, maybe two modifications.
Also, you can slowly drink a large cup of coffee while waiting for the UE to save changes to stbof.res. :shock:
Sounds like another bug that should be on UE modding issue list. :roll:
How much memory is in use by UE in the task manager when it crashes? And how much data space does stbof take with all these images? :shock:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Flocke, to answer your question in the most vague way possible, all you have to do is start clicking on every WDF from within UE, and it will become quickly overwhelmed and crash. Although it may help to have a web browser with 10 or 15 tabs open, IDA, HxD, several working folders, etc etc..

GALM I can click on maybe 20 or 30 WDF entries before it gives an exception and closes itself out (no prompt to save changes). It's bound to be causing physical pain for Axis at this point :lol:

I think the issue is that, once the WDF is clicked, whether or not you change values within, it becomes part of the "active files" for that "session". I think a simple check against previous preloaded values (pre-click event values) or vanilla values should work?

Something like: Legend ->(click event = your selection of WDF file, any edit event = you editing any value)
click event - select
load the corresponding wdf file (into temp file)
click event - select new
(comparison "select" to vanilla or previous modded values)
any edit event? - no
close out wdf/clear memory of select click event (offload from memory)
load next wdf file (select new)
click event - select new new
(comparison "select new")
any edit event - yes
do not close out/clear memory of select new click event (or add to temp file)
load next wdf file (select new new)

This should at least allow clicking all WDF entry without crash. But this issue will still arise when editing many WDFs in succession before saving changes to res file. On that, I am not sure how one would go about that.. perhaps a temporary file can be created with some language that java can read from so it can offload the WDF and still apply the change once you decide it's time to save your work.

Edit: updated info
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tethys wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:58 amAlthough it may help to have a web browser with 10 or 15 tabs open, IDA, HxD, several working folders, etc etc..
So my every day setup you say, but well, actually I have way more open than that. I fear right now I have above 100 firefox tabs open. :D
Tethys wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:58 amGALM I can click on maybe 20 or 30 WDF entries before it gives an exception and closes itself out (no prompt to save changes).
Really? I just tested this. First I debugged via Eclipse with the OpenJDK JVM but managed to click through all the files just fine. The memory consumption maxed at about 4400 MB. Some time before UE however already started to slow down and become less responsive, but it was still usable.

Next I tried UE 0.8 using my Oracle 1.8 system JVM. This time I managed to click about 2/3 of the entries till finally I got the error:
out_of_memory.jpg
out_of_memory.jpg (13.39 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Here the JVM maxed out at about 3300MB when UE started to slow down. It soon bacame worse till the app freezed. Only after a long while then with 100% cpu usage, I finally I got the error.

I dunno how memory management is implemented for these both JVM. At least the limit was a bit higher with OpenJDK. Guess they both try to free some space with the garbage colletion once the limit is reached.

Ofc it is not very efficient to keep all those files open. I'll have a look at how to fix this.
In meantime you however can try increase the JVM default memory limit like described in UE 0.8 readme:

In the UE root folder there is a "run.bat" included. It is of old days and is configured to set a limit of 2048MB. Just open it with notepad and set a more reasonable number of e.g. 8192 MB:

Code: Select all

java -Xmx8192m -jar UE.jar
I re-tried with UE 0.8 and my Oracle 1.8 JVM, launching the run.bat, and now I could select all of them just fine as well.
UE / JVM memory maxed at 4502MB this time. And I didn't experience slow downs either, other than that the wdf load takes its time.

The default JVM memory limits btw are system dependent, and relate to a fraction of your system memory.
You can check your current JVM memory limits by typing the following into a command prompt:

Code: Select all

java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | findstr HeapSize
HTH
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Nice, I did not know there was an easy way to increase java memory. My physical memory on the laptop is 8 GB, I have 20 GB of virtual memory but not sure if that is used or not (Win 10). All drives are SSD in this machine, so virtual memory should be fast-ish...
Cannot run bat file Windows 10
1 Answer

Right click on one of the .bat files and select "edit". This will open the file in notepad.
Go to the very end of the file and add a new line by pressing "enter".
type pause .
Save the file.
Run the file again using the same method you did before.

Jun 7, 2018
A solution if you're on Windows 10, this worked for me. Apparently I don't even have 2gb of free memory, 1024 works for now I suppose... pause also opened up a debug feature and I can see everything UE does as I click stuff, that's very cool :cool:
Last edited by Tethys on Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

If I recall right, I gave Axis an edited version of UE to allow him to go full screen on 4k monitor with UE (currently limited to 1080?)
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

That's right, I've got it, don't have to calculate positions for left side and bottom anymore, just scroll and see.
Last edited by Axis on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Terran federation pop-up menu:
Image7.jpg
Image7.jpg (453.69 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Changed symbols to more abstract ones.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Et tu for the Romulans:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (490.01 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Impress the Empress.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

watching those menus, I think I'd replace "Birth of the Federation" here
afterall, what does the romulan star empire care on the federation? :D
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Klingons:
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (450.88 KiB) Viewed 4746 times

Now there shouldn't be a button that hasn't been modified.
Last edited by Axis on Thu May 18, 2023 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Symbol also for galaxy and main menu made menulike too:
Image10.jpg
Image10.jpg (351.23 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Impress the Empress.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”