Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by F9thskynet »

Im not new here but first post i know this is an old post but I am wondering if there a version of Supremacy works with windows 11 Home version 22H2 i have been reading on this issue and my current problem that i have just encountered is when trying to open diplomatic and as before mentioned the legendary lagg then crash.

my question is i see that there are some patched mentioned in the later posts should i just fresh install everything and use the patches or is there a clean cut version that will work with windows?

current build is a laptop Alienware:
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900HK 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
OS Build 22621.2283
Experience Pack Pack 1000.22662.1000.0 (don't know if that matters or not)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

F9thskynet wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:54 pm Im not new here but first post i know this is an old post but I am wondering if there a version of Supremacy works with windows 11 Home version 22H2
Hi F9thskynet.
Supremacy works on Win11, yes. We have players playing on Win11, and have no issues.

i have been reading on this issue and my current problem that i have just encountered is when trying to open diplomatic and as before mentioned the legendary lagg then crash.
Which issue are you refering to, specifically?

my question is i see that there are some patched mentioned in the later posts should i just fresh install everything and use the patches or is there a clean cut version that will work with windows?
If you're playing the Romulans and the game is crashing on the diplomacy screen, it might have to do withthe order in which you installed the patches. If you have installed the soundfx ZIPs, you should install in the exact order mentioned here (that is, Romulan_DiploTheme.zip should be last).

If it's something else, please check if there's a file called Error.txt in the Logs folder and attach it here please. The Log.txt file might also be useful in some cases.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

So i have i think an older version installed and i'm trying to find where to uninstall it so i can dl the required patches.

these days i rarely get time to even play and i have a sudden hankering to get back into BOTF game and I would rather play your version then the original version. where can i find instructions to do a reinstall and the order to witch install everything correctly?

thank you for all you have done by the way, the last time i played this game i was using windows 7 and i'm not sure but i think the game wasn't famished yet at the time but its been a while and my memory isn't what it should be like it used to be.

my sudden interest in the game is because there is a new star trek game being released in October called star trek infinite and i bought the re order on steam!
i'm rather excited about it but i still have an ich to play so i'm trying to get BOFT 2 to work!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

F9thskynet wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm So i have i think an older version installed and i'm trying to find where to uninstall it so i can dl the required patches.
Just delete the folder. :wink:
The game doesn't have a proper installer yet, as it is technically still in alpha/beta. But it will be pretty much "finished" once we add the last few components, as it is right now pretty solid.

these days i rarely get time to even play and i have a sudden hankering to get back into BOTF game and I would rather play your version then the original version. where can i find instructions to do a reinstall and the order to witch install everything correctly?
I posted the link in my previous reply. Go here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3068
There are 2 versions. The CE version lets you test Misfire's 3D combat engine (but it has an issue with stations, and is a bit behind the dev version, now).

thank you for all you have done by the way, the last time i played this game i was using windows 7 and i'm not sure but i think the game wasn't famished yet at the time but its been a while and my memory isn't what it should be like it used to be.
We're getting close to finishing the game. After getting the combat engine and intelligence done, it won't take much longer.

my sudden interest in the game is because there is a new star trek game being released in October called star trek infinite and i bought the re order on steam!
i'm rather excited about it but i still have an ich to play so i'm trying to get BOFT 2 to work!
:up:
It looks interesting.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

Thanks Iceman! and all who made this happen and all who went through trouble shooting and made this what it is today!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Have fun! And let us know if you need further assistance.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

I give up,

i've gotten myself so frustrated with confusion on trying to get this cotton pickin game working that i'm at the point of being finished with trying, I'm not stupid (no one's saying i am) i just don't understand how to do get the files manually into the computer the way its been suggested like i used to be able to do.
No matter what post im reading w/what seems to be easy enough instructions to manually implement the game however i read the instructions and try to extract/inject files in whatever order they are suggested the game won't save or crashes and sounds don't work or most recently get a video card error.

i'm just done with this, the game sounds wonderful to the point of its current development. i'm just not smart enough to understand how to manually add files for a game anymore and i guess i'm just going to have to be patient and wait for an installer to do things for me.
I EFFING HATE MICROSOFT FOR COMPLICATING THINGS.

I suppose its my fault for getting to busy with life and not keeping up with things like windows coding and sutch. anyways thank you Iceman and others for the help but ill wait till you guys can get an actual launcher to install BOTF 2 to install the game for me its just not worth my frustration and stress at this point. i just wanted to take the time to tell everyone involved thank you for all the time to make this game what it is to date and perhaps one day i'll get to see it work correctly the little i did get to experience was amazing!

THanks guys!
Sky.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Didn't you manage to download the very latest (single) file I pointed you to :?: The one that doesn't require any other files?

If not, then to keep it as simple as possible, just download from BitBucket the following 2 files:
SupremacyTest_20210113.zip
patch_20230904.zip

Unzip the 1st one anywhere you want (game folder), and then unzip the 2nd (patch) and copy/move all its files to the chosen (game) folder.
Just forget about the sfx/music patches.
You should have no problems this way.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

Iceman, hey sorry for the rant earlier.

I tried going to bit bucket but it says something like a 404 error the file is not there im not sure i'd have to dig through the forums to look and i don't really have the patience anymore to dog for it.

I thought i had the latest version but even after that extraction the game still crashed out.

this is why i was trying to get on a disord so i could interact with someone along the way for instillation. I used to be able to follow instruction for this but for some reason i just can't seem to grasp how to fix this.

Sky.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

No prob, I just want you to manage to get the game to work.

404? You cannot get here? That's odd. It's working for me.

Did you PM Danijel like I suggested?
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

Iceman,

I have made contact with Danijel and it was suggested based on some of the errors i got that there was a GPU problem and to update my GPU i already had done that this morning based on a post here in the forums where the individual was having some major lag issues and they went though an extensive thread trying to diagnose the problem but the individual came back after explaining that he needed to update his graphics card drivers. so naturally after reading that i went and verified my drivers are in fact upto date, i pay for a driver updater but ill go and look manually to make sure things are good.

I went through just now and deleted everything and did as you just suggested with the link you provided i had one already downloaded but still needed patch 904. i downloaded and applied i think the way it was supposed to be.
before i got 5 turns in i got this error ill link it down

Error.txt
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

The thing i can't figure out is that my drivers are up to date the pc im playing on cost me just over 4 grand it's not even a year old im going to up install my drivers for the card and reinstall. look at the error and please advise im not sure what to do.

thanks.

Sky.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Did you install XNA v3.1 :?:
It's a required pre-req.

If you installed the 20230904 patch, it should ask you (to install XNA) on game launch. But if you didn't, IIRC the 2021 full release did not have the check implemented.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

Iceman.

So i have i checked and do not have any update for drivers but i went in to the graphics setting and forgot a maybe important key factor. i have three video cards two sli and one for the onboard graphics. and you would think it wouldn't matter because the game is not a resource hog as mentioned on another post some time ago however my computer by default was set to automatically switch the GPU usage between on-board and the Nvidia cards so i changed it to Nvidia all the time.
Currently i am playing the game I'm only a few turns in but i noticed right a way that the lag i was getting before on notifications when purchasing a building or for when the turn progress ends and those notifications would with lagg appear, but are now more smoothly showing and another thing i noticed also when selecting a ship to build the okay button used to be greyed out but now is not.
I know that was an issue years ago during really early dev of the game but i wasn't pointing it out till now because i have larger issues getting things running correctly I just wanted to point that out.

is there a way to purchase ships without waiting for turns for them to build or are we stuck with waiting (witch is fine)

I have XNA 3.1 installed already unless i'm unaware of it am i supposed to reinstall it everytime im sure its fine the way it is, witch you probably got your answer in reading what i just wrote.

Thanks Iceman!

Sky.
F9thskynet
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by F9thskynet »

Okay,

made it to turn 52 this time i was in the process of building a construction ship in a minor races ship yard that had just joined membership.

logs below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log:

Log.txt
(54.17 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Error log:

Error.txt
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

F9thskynet wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:50 pm Currently i am playing the game I'm only a few turns in but i noticed right a way that the lag i was getting before on notifications when purchasing a building or for when the turn progress ends and those notifications would with lagg appear, but are now more smoothly showing and another thing i noticed also when selecting a ship to build the okay button used to be greyed out but now is not.
Awesome, glad you got the game working!
BTW, disabling some gfx options in the Settings panel (Main Menu) might also improve performance. Things like dialog animations (which for me is just annoying), star animations, etc.

is there a way to purchase ships without waiting for turns for them to build or are we stuck with waiting (witch is fine)
No, by design. With shipyards having multiple docks, I think it would be way too unbalancing.

I have XNA 3.1 installed already unless i'm unaware of it am i supposed to reinstall it everytime im sure its fine the way it is, witch you probably got your answer in reading what i just wrote.
No, you just need to install it once. I figured it was not the issue you were having, but asked anyway just to be sure.

Thanks Iceman!
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

made it to turn 52 this time i was in the process of building a construction ship in a minor races ship yard that had just joined membership.
Does this happen every time you do this, or was it just a one time off thing :?:
If it is reproducible, I'd like to take a look at a savegame.

What exactly did you install, BTW?
The updated full release from the Supremacy site, or the old release + latest patch from BitBucket?

Return to “Supremacy”