All in one 1.0.1 UCW issue

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: All in one 1.0.1 UCW issue

Post by rawsy »

Hi Thunderchero,

this issue is still present o the latest installer. could i remove the structure that causes the problem? would that work do you think.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

rawsy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:40 am Hi Thunderchero,

this issue is still present o the latest installer. could i remove the structure that causes the problem? would that work do you think.
invasion issue?

as normal saved game needed.

also list sector and any ship movements to reproduce issue

edit; the "Orbital Battery Controller" have already been removed as SCT suggested
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rawsy »

Hi Thunderchero,

when trying to assault a system there is always 1 orbital battery present no matter how many ships are present. this is not the case until a certain point in the game. i have wiped out the romulans but am not making a dent on the klingons.

save attached sector 13.15

many thanks for looking
Attachments
game0.sav
(416.02 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I don't understand why this is happening. and nothing I can do since mod is no longer being developed

the only thing I can suggest is start using Troop transports or better/stronger ships.

The defiant is a great ship for combat not planetary assault.

I am only guessing on issue

18 fleet task force causing calculation issue?
energy tech high enough now giving planetary shield too much power for defiants?
saved game error?
Flocke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:33 pm quote to get Flocke attention
If I do an integrity check of saved game and save I get crash on turn processing. :shock:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 am If I do an integrity check of saved game and save I get crash on turn processing. :shock:
Merde! :mad:
Will have to wait a bit but I'll take a look to the crash.

That there is a new orbital each turn btw doesn't sound wrong, and that the population isn't impacted by the attack indeed might be related to ship stats vs. shield and maybe some special klingon structures. Sounds like some bad balancing.
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rawsy »

thanks for looking
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I stopped assault and moved the 8 TT's to 13.15
when TT's arrived at Rusazus the system had built 8 OB.
I set all ships defiants and TT's to assault

lost 6 defiants (most were hurt already)
took out a few structures (shipyard ect)
deployed 1 TT

But population was still at 100% :shock:

not killing any population on a successful assault is strange.

Rusazus population was defiant, no surprise.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

System assaults can be a bit confusing (e.g. OBs firepower and hit points depend on different tech areas), even more with mod specific special patches.

First you need ships with more combined shield/hull points than OB firepower (to survive OB initial attack) plus greater torpedo firepower than OB hit points to destroy them (if you want that - not needed for invasions). Depending on the shield generator strengh you need even more torpedo firepower.

Note: The strike cruiser fix patch gives them an advantage vs OBs.

thunderchero wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:59 pmBut population was still at 100% :shock:

not killing any population on a successful assault is strange.
Very uncommon, indeed.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 am The defiant is a great ship for combat not planetary assault.
I thought same, but now did some testing. Even when I throw 100 attack cruisers and another 200 heavy command ships and dreadnaughts at it, it doesn't change anything. And even when I switch empires and scrap all the structures, not a single inhabitant starves. :roll:

The only remarkable I found is the very high tech levels.
The Duras are about to complete future tech 21, while the federation is even ahead of it.
Therefore I tested changing them back to 10, and there you go, all looks right again:
fixed_tech_overflow.jpg
fixed_tech_overflow.jpg (332.88 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Continuing to test the individual tech levels, I found that the issue comes up as soon as build tech 20 is researched.
Might be some integer overflow or something...
thunderchero wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:43 am If I do an integrity check of saved game and save I get crash on turn processing. :shock:
That one is fixed now as well. :smile:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:48 pmthe issue comes up as soon as build tech 20 is researched. Might be some integer overflow or something...
Construction Tech increases the defensive strength of orbital batteries and the resilience of star systems against bombing damage.

The default float parameters for damage ratio multipliers for random structures and pop damage become zero/negative beyond construction tech 19:

Code: Select all

00466F8F           fstp  dword ptr [esp+3FCh]              ; 0.005 - 0.00025 * Construction tech defender // structures

00467132           fsubr ds:combat_emps_0_01               ; 0.01 - 0.0005 * Construction tech defender // pop
NOTE 0.01 for pop is a shared value and logically tied to the 'The Ground Combat Tech Level Multiplier':

00466F41           fmul  ds:GrndCmbTechMul2_0_1            ; pop defender * 0.1

I'd try to lower these both values (e.g. with double techs like 20 -> halve or *2/3)

0057AC54 @ 0x178A54 -> 0.00025 // structures

0057AC64 @ 0x178A64 -> 0.0005 // pop ?
► Show Spoiler
Flocke wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:48 pmeven when I switch empires and scrap all the structures, not a single inhabitant starves. :roll:
Strange, I just checked sub_443610 Pop_Growth_Starvation and there is no influence of tech levels.

BUT system attack/bombing stops any Pop_Growth via the systInfo bombing marker,
so due to a bug/bias it might also prevent any starvation during system attacks? EDIT Starvation code doesn't check the bombing marker. :up:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:31 am Construction Tech increases the defensive strength of orbital batteries and the resilience of star systems against bombing damage.

The default float parameters for damage ratio multipliers for random structures and pop damage become zero/negative beyond construction tech 19:

00466F8F           fstp  dword ptr [esp+3FCh]              ; 0.005 - 0.00025 * Construction tech defender // structures

00467132           fsubr ds:combat_emps_0_01               ; 0.01 - 0.0005 * Construction tech defender // pop
I will give it a try in next update

UCW using 1/3 (23 tech levels)
MUM using 1/2 values (20 tech levels)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:31 am
Flocke wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:48 pmeven when I switch empires and scrap all the structures, not a single inhabitant starves. :roll:
Strange, I just checked sub_443610 Pop_Growth_Starvation and there is no influence of tech levels.

BUT system attack/bombing stops any Pop_Growth via the systInfo bombing marker,
so due to a bug/bias it might also prevent any starvation during system attacks? EDIT Starvation code doesn't check the bombing marker. :up:
I checked on it again, for starvation it actually is construction tech 21, which is causing the issue, and it only affects the Rusazus system and only for as long it is being attacked. :wink:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

rawsy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:07 am Hi Thunderchero,

when trying to assault a system there is always 1 orbital battery present no matter how many ships are present. this is not the case until a certain point in the game. i have wiped out the romulans but am not making a dent on the klingons.

save attached sector 13.15

many thanks for looking
with new 1/3 value I re-tested your saved game and here is results
results.jpg
results.jpg (381.83 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:21 pmfor starvation it actually is construction tech 21, which is causing the issue, and it only affects the Rusazus system and only for as long it is being attacked. :wink:
Starvation still works. But tech 21+ subtracts a negative value from the pop with no max pop check (i.e. increases pop due to bombing):
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:31 amparameters for damage ratio multipliers for ... pop damage become become zero/negative beyond construction tech 19
Later the Growth_Starvation code reduces the over-limit pop and resets the system max pop.
rawsy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rawsy »

this sounds great. thanks for looking on to this guys much apreciated. looking forward to the update.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”