Admiral Chat

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Axis
Captain
Captain

Re: Admiral Chat

Post by Axis »

Voyager again... This episode about the crew getting letters from the alpha quadrant, I mean, what's this "try to be patient"-thing always, are they really going to crowd the sickbay with people with no problems at all?

Try to be patient my ass... :lol:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

"Ass you wish", my thoughts exactly. :wink:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Lately there has been some debate about why do Nick Locarno and Tom Paris look so much alike.

I think Locarno was just Tom Paris' Nick name. :wink:
Impress the Empress.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Axis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 pm Lately there has been some debate about why do Nick Locarno and Tom Paris look so much alike.

I think Locarno was just Tom Paris' Nick name. :wink:
Question should be, why did they change name? They could film an episode of it, I'm sure! We only know half the story! :lol:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Your both thoughts combined might lead to the truth:

- it's the same person
- it's NOT presented as the same person, but should be

It's a strange case of a DID (dissociative identity disorder, laypersons call it multiple personality disorder).
This explains why 'they' look so much alike, but are not entirely the same person and hence need different names. :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Did you know, that the Earth's oceans take a million (or a billion) years to evaporate completely due to the effects of the sun?
Hence the saying : "long time, no sea" :wink:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I bumped into an interesting/funny fact this morning, when Sweden joined NATO, there was an orchestra at Brussels playing those anthems and such at that flag raising ceremony and they also played ST : First Contact theme there.

I guess that was because on that date the Borg were finally assimilated into the collective. :wink:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

"The crew were in good spirits"

- Aye cap'n, they were quite intoxicated.
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke treats his guests like wood worms. He serves them a branch instead of brunch. And some of his 'committed' branches have a really bad after taste:

commit sha = adultery -> massive attitude/sympathy losses of spouses
commit sha(s) = arson, burglary, forgery, homicide, perjury -> serious trouble with the law
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 pm Flocke treats his guests like wood worms. He serves them a branch instead of brunch. And some of his 'committed' branches have a really bad after taste:

commit sha = adultery -> massive attitude/sympathy losses of spouses
commit sha(s) = arson, burglary, forgery, homicide, perjury -> serious trouble with the law
Flocke reminds himself to never serve a tribble with commitment. This can only result in desaster.
At first every committed sha was happy to entertain the tribble, but soon he became greedy.
Then, after all meals were guzzled, even the trees got populated by tribbles.
Now the only meal left is tribble meat and it kinda tastes hairy. :(
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Sha? :roll:

Wikipedia :

SHA (short for Secure Hash Algorithm) belongs to cryptographic hash functions. Its most used form is SHA-1, which is used in software such as TLS, SSL, PGP, SSH, S/MIME, and IPSec. The family of MD-SHA hash functions started in 1990 with MD4, which was quickly replaced due to weaknesses by MD5 in 1992.[1]

the extensive electronic eavesdropping, foreign language, and encryption intelligence agency designed by the National Security Agency (NSA) SHA, and issued as a government-wide standard.

The first version SHA, more commonly known as SHA-0, was released in 1993. The successor SHA-1 (RFC 3174) was released in 1995, followed by SHA-2 and SHA-3.

The first two published standards, SHA-0 and SHA-1, have already been successfully cracked.[2][3][4] Attack methods have led to the development of a collision detection enhancement that can be used with SHA-1 and MD5.[5]

Researchers consider it possible that SHA-2 will also be cracked in the near future, because it is so similar to its predecessors. according to whom? The SHA-1 attack has not yet been successfully applied to SHA-2. The reference implementation of SHA-2 is presented in the IETF standard RFC 6234. The SHA-2 algorithm is the same in the SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 variations, differing in the size of the operands, the initialization vectors and the size of the order hash.[6]

The process of standardizing the SHA-3 function began in 2005 after SHA-1 was shown to be possible to crack.[7][8] The standardization process consisted of several parts, during the competition 20–2012, tule07 was used as the basis of the standard, or algorithm. The competition was won by Keccak, developed by Belgian and Italian cryptologists.[9]

NIST was responsible for the NSA process. The standard was originally supposed to be completed shortly after the end of the competition, by the end of 2012[2], but it was not confirmed as the 202 standard FIPS until August 2015.[10]

SHA has the following algorithms:[10][11]
Family Algorithm Message size Block size Seal size (bits)
SHA-1 SHA-1 264 512 160
SHA-2 SHA-224 264 512 224
SHA-2 SHA-256 264 512 256
SHA-2 SHA-384 2128 1024 384
SHA-2 SHA-512 2128 1024 512
SHA-2 SHA-512/224 2128 1024 224
SHA-2 SHA-512/256 2128 1024 256
SHA-3 SHA3-224 224
SHA-3 SHA3-256 256
SHA-3 SHA3-384 384
SHA-3 SHA3-512 512
SHA-3 SHAKE128
SHA-3 SHAKE256
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Axis wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:46 amSha? :roll: Wikipedia :
Don't get distracted by technobabble. 'Sha' gives us some hints of the 'committer':

1.) 'Sha' Ka Ree -> from Star Trek V we can deduct it's an impostor
2.) 'She' with last character replaced by an 'a' -> female from a country where most women's names end with an 'a'

Since there is many commits with 'Sha' we know this female hacker is a busy girl and probably on the FBI most wanted list.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:36 pm 2.) 'She' with last character replaced by an 'a' -> female from a country where most women's names end with an 'a'
Oh, don't joke on the one million headed shesha king of the serpents! The snake of the universe in control of all existance!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shesha

'Sha' is a rather common old chinese family name. With roots probably older than the english language.
"Su Sha (夙沙) family an ancient family which was already established prior to the Xia dynasty (2070–1600 BC)"
https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=sha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha_(surname)

Edit: It actually is dated way before even the first proto english arose!
I forgot how short the english language history is. :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_English

Nice sample for the evolution of english speaking:
Old EnglishMiddle EnglishModern English
AD 500AD 1200AD 1500
hehe
hēoheo, sche, ho, he, ȝhoshe
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

On Voyager, I wouldn't help but notice, that when B'elanna says "you're Early", it's actually Tom Paris who she is talking to and not Early. :lol:

Also, there are times, when something bad happens in these series's and the people responsible say they're "Sorry", I mean, that's not a name, is it, in Finland, when you spell "Sorry" in (american) english it's actually (roughly) spoken as "Sari", which is a more or less common finnish female name.
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Why don't they print parking violation tickets with a calming phrase like: "Remember only the finest are fine with fines." :wink:

Return to “General Chat”