Admiral Chat

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Axis
Captain
Captain

Re: Admiral Chat

Post by Axis »

A famous group of unemployed technicians once said : "We have nothing to bore, except the boredom itself".
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Axis wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:07 amthey could name the first megarocket as ASS The Smell of Musk.
I'd rather fly with this rocket in the biggest black hole ever the 'butt of the universe' than watching this disgusting official Star Trek clip ever again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bij0nWXBKHI :mad:

unseen.jpg
unseen.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I've never been called "the butt of the universe" before :wink: , but I can see what you mean, I just watched the video myself and the name "Worst Contact" suits it.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I've been wondering for quite some time, why people say "It's good to be back", or "I'll be back" (Terminator), why not be a human being, instead of being a back?
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Melting boredom, post by post:

At first, I did not know what this P.O.W. did mean, but just a moment ago I realised it must mean Point of Wiev, like "The surviving Jem'Hadar are now in Federation point of wiev camp".

In every war, there are a lot of these "points of wievs".

:lol:
Impress the Empress.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

That does happen if you take prisoners. Only then.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

to "Engage the enemy", one thing's for sure, the klingons are married with the enemy.
Impress the Empress.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Only till death do them part.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

The Voyager 1 probe has begun sending gibberish, propably due to actions of the Caretaker, which is pulling the probe to Delta Quadrant where it will travel to the machine planet where it will be transformed to V'Ger (or was it Voyager 6?) hmm...

Anyways, we'll propably never hear from it again.

Unless they fix it.

:wink:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I guess that it was better to name V'Ger after a Voyager probe than Pioneer, then it could have been Pe'Er. :lol:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

"Things should go smoothly, once we get a fix at their location",
now, what is that kind of talk, it sounds to me the crew are all a bunch of drug users. :lol:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Once again, it's so "funny" watching Voyager again, I mean, what's with this "the bridge gets dark when battle stations is ordered, or when there's some other dramatic event"?
I think it's kinda hard to discern the buttons in low lighting, isn't it?

Oh well, there were those 70's movies where thrills were created by darkness to the point of being absolutely ridiculous nowadays, they were all that darkness and what? nothing, just a gunshot in the darkness with gloomy music playing in the background, real Z-class drama if I may say so.

What I mean, is that it's just plain old foolish to make things dark in the event of something drastic, it always makes the experience worse, you just can't see what's even happening, and what's with that horror element anyway? Does someone really like being afraid? If you're even a bit sane, then you don't.
Impress the Empress.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Actually, that's pulled near enough directly from how in the military, the lighting is lower, and the readouts are illuminated /etc. really old RADAR monitors for instance wouldn't be readable in normal room lighting conditions, I believe.

And since these are *lit displays* both real life and the bridges etc of Star Trek, with glowing-with-color buttons?

has nothing to do with horror.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I guess someone had to state the obvious about backlit buttons, but that's not the point, I'm more interested in the cinematic implementation.

Probably everyone who's submerged oneself even a little into cinematic entertainment does know that darkness is used for drama effect,
especially in horror movies.

Of course there are places for darkness, but when they are used in this fashion and you're really not moved about them, then it just looks bad (hence the Z-class).

In my experice, it's this thing when they are trying to arouse negative emotions like fear (negative excitement) or try to get you upset in some way in cinema and when you're through feeling those feelings and later you turn back to watching those then they do look like bad quality entertainment.

When there's something positive that catches your eye, then they do not "age" in the same fashion.

And those backlit buttons can be seen quite clearly from black surface LCARS panels in normal illumination.
But, what if there's so dark that you see the backlit buttons but you can't see your hands?

Also, they do not use darkness so much in cinema these days, there's more light than before even in dark events and obviously it looks better.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I think I've deciphered the reason behind the so called "cliffhanger" episodes being so irritating, The blame is on Toby, you know, they always end in the same sentence : Toby continued...
Impress the Empress.

Return to “General Chat”