Windows Update strikes again

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Windows Update strikes again

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Back in 2015 my choice was either this PSU or an Enermax Platimax 750w or whatever it was called. I always heard good things about BeQuiet from multiple people. But manufacturers all can have good lines and terrible ones unrelated to pricing. I mean, just because Gigabyte had this recent PSU scandal, doesn't mean my Aorus Master from them is trash. Some of their GPUs might have terrible cooling, though. I don't have to tell you in particular but too many people are brand focused and that's utter fallacy. At the end it's all about margins.

Regarding tests, it became a bit more difficult recently as key components of products tend to get replaced down the line. So, you may not get a product with the same japanese capicitors with what the product launched and was reviewed. I guess that's shortage related but these incidients seem to have increased in the last years. Reviewers getting golden samples is one thing. But what happened with some SSDs is bothersome.

Regarding PSUs, it was hard back then to find some good reviews and in-depth tests. Sadly, jonnyguru isn't around anymore. From what I read, he went to Corsair PSU R&D. I think there's one guy doing reviews nowadays but I haven't looked him up as of yet.

Ah well, PSUs are probably some of the least popular items when it comes to PCs, so not many people care about them. Nothing really worth to be hyped about them ;)
This makes me even more weary about their actual state. Must be a tough market to stay competetive in. Factor in the lack of reviews and good and continued testing and it's back to which brand do I trust the most xD

I usually bought a cheap one which crapped out 2-3 years later down the line. Often at the worst possible moment of course ;)
But as I put some more money into building a rig, I just wanted it to be good and secure all around.

But I digress.

I had to significantly decrease the power target of my 390 to prevent hard crashes. I'd re-applied the thermal paste 3 times in a day because of high temps. Usually, a reapply of thermal paste brought the temps down to ~76°C. Now, I got 86+°C. That's why I re-applied the paste several times because I thought I made a mistake regarding mounting pressure or something in that regard. But it's not like I did it for the first time.

I tested a bit around yesterday and got GPU-related crashes at even 82°C. So, for me it's a sign that the GPU is on its last legs. It should be able to handle 95°C, though I'd never push it that far. Considering, that we're in winter even makes it more questionable. Imagine 15°C more room temperature...

When it comes to aging components, my FX wasn't able to hold the rather rigid OC anymore at some point.

Damn, I wish the scalping, crypto-bs and inflation would end. But perhaps we're going to have a war next week in Europe... and people around the world are bashing our country for not escalating a conflict by not delivering weapons.

What a time to be alive...

[and now I derailed the thread ^^]
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

A rant thread on windows is derailed from the start!
I mean, Windows issues are so ubiquitous, where should one stop not to blame it for? :mrgreen:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Reading that you're still using 8.1 made me chuckle ^^ (der Mensch ist ein Gewohnheitstier ;) )

But if that's working out for you there's no reason to upgrade as long as you're getting updates for that OS.

Since we're here on the BotF forum, I gotta say that I like to play older games every now and then and it's working quite well with Win 10 these days.

Overall I'm satisfied with Win 10 so far. But as you mentioned the attempts by MS of making it more user friendly are something I dislike as well. I also dislike the OS iterations just being disguised as design updates. Too much stuff going on under the hood of these systems which we only find out later.

When it comes to Win10, most if not all of the options are still there - just a bit harder to find. Could be just me, though. The OS runs that well that I don't often have to go through the settings anymore. Does that take something away from me? Not really, but the feeling to have control is definitely diminished somehow.

At the end, I'm glad that I don't have to re-install every quarter now because of some dreadful slowdowns. I can't praise a M.2 here enough, though. These things are nothing short of amazing.

I guess that I'll switch to Win 11 at some point. At the moment it doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I don't like to play beta tester. I just read that Win 10 support ends on Oct 14 2025. So, I'll probably switch before that. Updating to Win11 is free at the moment. Not sure how long it'll stay that way.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

So now Windows 10 is causing deliberate network adapter issues to force restarts. This literally just happened to me. I connected to 3 separate networks and even went through diagnostics to fix the issue. It said it was fixed. It was not. I restarted the PC and now everything works.

This is really starting to piss me off. I may go back to Windows 7 or see how I can downgrade this machine to 7. Unacceptable behavior.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Some general advice that might help. Without asking for a lot more details I can't try to help you more, and that would derail the thread. I'd suggest posting on answers.microsoft.com and PM me with a link to the thread since I don't usually monitor things over there.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-unid ... See%20More.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partiti ... twork.html
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Installing WIndows 7 can only be a joke, given it is out of support. For myself I am still much happier with Windows 8.1 than with WIndows 10, cause it gave me far less hassle and is not so overloaded with tons of crap. Ofc I used classic shell with it from the beginning. Nonetheless, given the nearing support end, I can't recommend to switch to Windows 8.1 either.

The only real option you have is to switch to Linux for your working setup, but keep Windows boxed in a virtual machine or on another partition or your second pc.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

A VM of an older Windows seems like a good idea. I haven't used any Linux distro in over 10 years, though it might be worth looking into that.

Ah well, something funny happened. I ran Malwarebytes and it flagged my task to shutdown the PC as a Trojan.BitCoinMiner.E.Generic.

3 registry entries which were harmless and the file itself in System32\tasks which doesn't contain anything. But good to know that MWB is checking the scheduled tasks. Haven't used it in years.

On another note, I'm going to find out if my PSU is the culprit soon. I've ordered a new GPU yesterday and it should arrive today :)

Might be the wrong time to upgrade but it's often a gamble when to do it anyway. Bit my ass long enough for not getting a 5700xt in 2020 when I upgraded my PC.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

A little update here and just to let you know:

As it's not really a documented feature. Firefox is overwriting the Windows Energy/Standby Settings. (esp. when watching videos)

Only a single comment mentioned that somewhere. I tried to dig a bit deeper but haven't found out much about it. There's probably something in about:confing but I'm just too lazy to find out more at the moment ^^
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:47 am Installing WIndows 7 can only be a joke, given it is out of support. For myself I am still much happier with Windows 8.1 than with WIndows 10, cause it gave me far less hassle and is not so overloaded with tons of crap. Ofc I used classic shell with it from the beginning. Nonetheless, given the nearing support end, I can't recommend to switch to Windows 8.1 either.

The only real option you have is to switch to Linux for your working setup, but keep Windows boxed in a virtual machine or on another partition or your second pc.
Also it seems that Microsoft is attempting to force people to switch, and other platforms are jumping on the bandwagon by dropping win7 support. Microsoft Teams stopped working last year, and Calibre no longer will update on Win7, preventing me from installing the latest version of Fanficfare.

It's interesting, because I had a 6-month temp job last year migrating Amita Health's hospitals from Win7 to Win10 in the Chicago area, so lots of companies are still using Win7 (because I still think it's better than anything MIcrosith has put out since).
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:43 pm A little update here and just to let you know:

As it's not really a documented feature. Firefox is overwriting the Windows Energy/Standby Settings. (esp. when watching videos)

Only a single comment mentioned that somewhere. I tried to dig a bit deeper but haven't found out much about it. There's probably something in about:confing but I'm just too lazy to find out more at the moment ^^

Whoa, really? :shock: That's definitely news to me. Any idea what changes FF makes to the settings?

slickrcbd wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:41 am
Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:47 am Installing WIndows 7 can only be a joke, given it is out of support. For myself I am still much happier with Windows 8.1 than with WIndows 10, cause it gave me far less hassle and is not so overloaded with tons of crap. Ofc I used classic shell with it from the beginning. Nonetheless, given the nearing support end, I can't recommend to switch to Windows 8.1 either.

Also it seems that Microsoft is attempting to force people to switch, and other platforms are jumping on the bandwagon by dropping win7 support. Microsoft Teams stopped working last year, and Calibre no longer will update on Win7, preventing me from installing the latest version of Fanficfare.

It's interesting, because I had a 6-month temp job last year migrating Amita Health's hospitals from Win7 to Win10 in the Chicago area, so lots of companies are still using Win7 (because I still think it's better than anything MIcrosith has put out since).

Sigh, I still miss Win7. It's the last OS I genuinely liked.

I never could get used to Win10, and my new machine (my first-ever true gaming PC) came with the new Windows 11 pre-installed, and it's even more user-unfriendly than 10 was. I don't understand how/why Microsoft thinks that hiding/removing simple functionalities will improve the experience. :evil:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Martok wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 pm Sigh, I still miss Win7. It's the last OS I genuinely liked.

I never could get used to Win10, and my new machine (my first-ever true gaming PC) came with the new Windows 11 pre-installed, and it's even more user-unfriendly than 10 was. I don't understand how/why Microsoft thinks that hiding/removing simple functionalities will improve the experience. :evil:
And I still hoped Win 11 would do better than 10. :sad:
Win 8.1 with Classic Shell still works great. All that follows I fear one always need to install tools to get it work properly.

Btw, when I kept my system unpowered for a night, my Seasonic PSU driven system recently started to turn up as soon as I toggle on my power strip, without having pressed the system power button and with automatic re-powering disabled both in BIOS and in Windows. And I had at least one random nightly turn up when I missed to disable the power strip too. I can only assume it is an issue with the Seasonic PSU. I should investigate this more. :roll:

And yes, I ofc run Firefox as well...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Martok wrote:Whoa, really? :shock: That's definitely news to me. Any idea what changes FF makes to the settings?
Sorry, for the late answer. I've encountered the problem again a couple of days and dug around a bit. There are some threads which just suggest to check -powercfg requests and go from there and try an override if something pops up. For the moment, I just make sure to have tabs closed which might use any kind of audio. Some forums (LTT f.e.) use audio queues regarding notifications. So, there'll always be an audio channel open which prevents shutdown/standby.
Flocke wrote:Seasonic PSU
heyho. It's been a while. I've a Seasonic PSU was well. (Seasonic Platinum SS-760XP2). It's kinda old now. Got it in 2016 but it's still running. It really is weird. I've pretty good extension outlets here. But sometimes in the morning, I just need to move and the PC jumps back on for whatever reasons. I usually deactivate the mouse, so I'm not sure what kind of input could wake the PC up from sleep.

Still kinda mysterious.
Flocke wrote:And I still hoped Win 11 would do better than 10. :sad:
Win 8.1 with Classic Shell still works great. All that follows I fear one always need to install tools to get it work properly.
Despite M$ constant attempts with help from Gigabyte to try and get me to switch, I haven't tried Win 11 yet and won't until 2025 with a new system/rig. TPM is something I'm trying to avoid. Srsly, after every damn BIOS update and I don't know, I did like 20 or so these past years, I had to deactivate TPM again because it's activated by default. The moment, Win 10 detects that TPM is activated, the nonsense starts with little notifications in the systray. Or they make it look like a legit and meaningless update. I almost accidentaly clicked to proceed. Jeez. These guys really try hard.

I decided to skip AM5 altogether since I paid an assload of money for my b550 board 2 years ago. Perhaps I'll upgrade to the 5800X3D at some point when it's under 300€ or so. For now, I'm happy with the system performance, though. It's stable, it's around 200W of usage under load, quiet and cool.

Hardware direction with increased power usage, the instant OC and temp jumps to max (~95°C) is something I don't really like. And don't get me started about motherboard prices. B550 was bad enough to get all the features and connections I wanted. But I shelled it out at the end. The new tiers with the Extreme and whatnot are I don't know. Kinda awful what's going on in this space these past years. Kinda glad I upgraded before shit hit the fan in 2020.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:15 pm heyho. It's been a while. I've a Seasonic PSU was well. (Seasonic Platinum SS-760XP2). It's kinda old now. Got it in 2016 but it's still running. It really is weird. I've pretty good extension outlets here. But sometimes in the morning, I just need to move and the PC jumps back on for whatever reasons. I usually deactivate the mouse, so I'm not sure what kind of input could wake the PC up from sleep.
I'm not clear what the problem is.
Are you turning the computer off and it turns back on by itself, or are you putting it to sleep and it wakes back up by itself?

The computer turning on from a powered down state could be a BIOS setting to automatically turn on the computer as soon as it gets power. Most Dell have this, and the "small form-factor" computers that look like thin-clients have this set to happen by default. Some HP computers and Gateways do as well. There are also sometimes features to turn the computer back on remotely, although they are intended for servers.
Also if you get a power interruption during the nite even for a second and the "turn on after power outage" is set to true, the computer will power up.

If it's waking from sleep rather than an actual power off, try these options:
https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/co ... tself.html
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Thanks for the link, slick. This was helpful as it made me check the gpedit.msc again.

To clear things up a bit: there are three scenarios at play here. Lets start with the weird one (1.).

1. PC is in sleep-mode. I walk by and it wakes up as if it would get an input by keyboard/mouse to get out of sleep again. I'd describe this as some Cylon-level shenanigans and have no idea what makes the PC wake up. It's like it can sense me.

2. [solved] something prevented the PC from going to sleep > this was hard to reproduce as the PC sometimes went to sleep as intended. I narrowed it down to Firefox (later found out Audio)

3. sudden PC wake-up during night

I just read through the suggestions in the link you've provided and decided to take a look at gpedit.msc again. Now, fastboot has been a major headache for some reason a couple of years ago and I had to turn it off multiple times before. I think some of the bigger updates re-enabled it.

I haven't checked gpedit in a while and lo and behold: all settings were reset. Now, we had a power outtage a month or so ago. PC was on at the time. I had to do recovery and it may have reset things there. Not sure. But I'm pretty sure I ran a standard sfc /scannow and checked the drives for errors. Now, what I didn't do was to check the gpedit.msc. We'll see how the Updates and maintenance run from now on.

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:17 pmLets start with the weird one (1.).

1. PC is in sleep-mode. I walk by and it wakes up as if it would get an input by keyboard/mouse to get out of sleep again. I'd describe this as some Cylon-level shenanigans and have no idea what makes the PC wake up. It's like it can sense me.
It can, the vibrations of your steps can activate some laser mice (depending on floor structure). Your issue 3 might be related to other external vibrations?

Try to disconnect mouse (e.g. usb) in sleep mode. :idea:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.

Return to “General Chat”