Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Map Editor

Post by Iceman »

Hi kaiidth!
Thanks for the report. Found the issue, it was a change I made. A missing check.
Will fix asap and release a new patch soon.
:up:
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

Is there any way to get larger (than standard 'huge') map sizes for editing?
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

toffeeblue wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:04 pm Is there any way to get larger (than standard 'huge') map sizes for editing?
Working on it. Should be ready by tomorrow.
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

Misfire wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:50 pm
toffeeblue wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:04 pm Is there any way to get larger (than standard 'huge') map sizes for editing?
Working on it. Should be ready by tomorrow.
Hey Misfire, any update? :up:
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

It's close. I had it all functional last night, but I discovered some other issues I need to take care of first. Repeated resizing of the map would quickly cause an out of memory exception. Got past that now, just have some cleanup to do.
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I'll be pushing the changes through later today. A few notes:

The format for saved map files changed, so old maps aren't compatible anymore. When you launch the load map dialog, it will convert any old format maps in the \maps directory to the new format. It will save them as the original name + "v2". I did this just in case something goes wrong, the original files are still intact. After this you can rename and delete the original if desired (though not necessary).
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Added note, you probably want to delete the old format files after they are converted, otherwise it will try to convert them again next time the load map dialog is run. It won't overwrite files, but if you rename the newly generated file, it will convert the old one again, cluttering up the directory.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

In the new patch, you can now set the map size you want (up to 255x255).

Maps provided in the patch have already been updated to the new format.

You can now set systems to being generated by the galaxy generator in the game, rather than by the map editor - this makes them be different every time you start a new game (with that map), increasing map replayability. For this, select the "Random Game Generated" Mode in Rapid Placement.
As a side note, these systems don't count towards the Total Habitable Systems display (as they have not been generated yet).
Also, don't change their "name"! They must be called just that (Random Game Generated) for the galaxy generator to spawn them; proper names will then be assigned to them.

Have fun, and please report any bugs and issues you may find!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Suggestions for improvements:

- being able to drag + drop systems on the map (from one sector to another)
- when placing nebulae, have an option to have the gal gen determine the chance to add a Rogue planet [and have Rogue be the default planet type in Nebulae instead of Barren, while at it]
- zoom centered on mouse cursor
- have an option to create a new map

Looking really good!

edit: pending stuff
I think I'm going to put a mini preview of the map in the load map dialog.

I still have a list of small things to get to at some point (improve zooming, find a way to preload system view so it doesn't take so long the first click, among other things).

Known issues:
-In the map editor screen, scrolling is noticeably laggy when the mouse cursor is over the map graphics vs not. I'm using an underpowered half tablet/half laptop (Pentuim Silver). Would like feedback if this is still an issue with a more appropriately powered machine.
-Changing the selected sector results in the graphics being redrawn multiple times. Possible performance issues with this, let me know if you experience a delay when selecting a new sector.
-Need to add icon to display when a random system bonus is selected.
-Zoom does not center on selected sector or mouse cursor.
-In the editor, specific empires do not display their proper star type.
-"Map Loaded" text that displays on the single player start screen after loading a map is very blah and un-noticeable. Any ideas how to make this better?

Other notes:
-Editor needs to have an option the create new map instead of having to load an existing map to edit.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Misfire wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:05 pm Known issues:
-"Map Loaded" text that displays on the single player start screen after loading a map is very blah and un-noticeable. Any ideas how to make this better?
How about something like moving the custom map's name to the top (since the galaxy image is collapsed), in a larger font size :?:
(that space is too small for a map preview I guess)
Attachments
CustomMap.png
CustomMap.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I moved the text. Also setup a map preview in the above area (and increased size of the spss to make the preview area more square). It's nice for small maps, mostly a novelty for large maps, but better than blank space.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It looks kind of... ugly. Cramped, and with a lot of empty space in the middle.
Might have been just a first impression, but I was like, what did this screen look like before? I had to go check a previous build.

Maybe we should have the preview in the Load Map screen instead?
Attachments
SPSSnew.png
SPSSnew.png (270.68 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

BTW, the preview shows the wormholes in the map.
I'm wondering if the preview is actually a good idea. If you're going to edit a map, yes; if you're going to load a map, not so sure anymore.

For MP games it would not be a good idea I guess, as the host would have an advantage.
Which reminds me, loading a map in MP games?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

How about this?
Attachments
map.png
map.png (45.87 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:05 pm Maybe we should have the preview in the Load Map screen instead?
Adding a new button to the right of Edit, which toggles between map stats/description and preview :?:

Or/and in the Edit Map dialog too :?:

Also add a Delete button to Edit/Load/Save Map dialogs :?:
Attachments
preview.png
preview.png (131.54 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

Return to “Supremacy”