AFC site status

Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: AFC site status

Post by Tethys »

I will take over. We cannot lose 2 gaming communities back to back year after year.

I will do it.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tethys wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:28 pm I will take over. We cannot lose 2 gaming communities back to back year after year.

I will do it.
Whew, welcome back Tethys!

Awesome you are willing take over if TC steps back! :grin:
I still hope we can improve prospect for TC to keep with us and just reduce presence if needed.
The little the community has become, I really would miss something without all of you and this awesome place :!:
PTRACER
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PTRACER »

If AFC shuts down, BOTF is gone. Sure there may be a small number of people participating on the forum, but forums have not been a popular form of social media for about 15 years.

I bought this game around the year 2000 and it took me until 2020 to be able to pick it up and play it. Without this forum, I would never have been able to do that. And the modifications you guys have made to the code are transformative - even the basic stuff such as getting it to work on modern OSs. All of those mods and all the knowledge will also be lost with the forum.

If it is not breaking the bank, I hope you can keep this running for a lot longer.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

The single most important thing is indeed all the modding information that would be lost.

Such happened with Bridge Commander, and I keep telling them that if they were more like AFC and BotF forums and how we conduct ourselves over here, Bridge Commander would not have/be die/dying/imploding/self destructing (On an unrelated note, I used my education from here to create a disassembly for Bridge Commander with labels and such, thank you SCT!)

It is a rather jaded scenario where I thought I was right about something, but turns out to be wrong as per usual.

I would most certainly volunteer to take over in some capacity, and would firstly be asking for volunteers to help with upkeep since of course my time is spread so thin.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 amIt is a rather jaded scenario where I thought I was right about something, but turns out to be wrong as per usual.
It's a double-edged scenario with small modding / active member communities.

There is much less conflict, so you can streamline projects and teamwork to get things done easier (multi-installer, UE & mod updates).

Back in the AFC hayday we also had have regular, and kinda pointless, disturbing/insulting disputes (causing canceled projects and members gone).

On the other hand, a too sparse participation can be frustrating.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Hi gang,

Been ages since I posted, but I think I have been here since the birth of this site, and I know certainly, since the birth of this game. I received BOTF accidentally as a birthday gift and haven’t stopped playing since, due solely to all of you and your predecessors who built these mods and did all the hard work.

Let me just say, I SINCERELY appreciate this site and all you do TC, just not sure what I can add so I tend to just check in as much as possible. Accordingly though, I apologize for not being more active and never voicing it before; like many, we never realize that it is missed. Joker, Gowron, DCER, Jigglypuff, and now yourself (and I am sure others I am forgetting) - Well, I know life doesn’t run on appreciation but you all are very appreciated and as much as I love to lurk and enjoy this site….I will help too if need be. This game is a classic and worth preserving (like many others.) You all have done an amazing job the past 20 years.

With that said, obviously your happiness and life first. If you need to step back, we all get it. But for what its worth, I can’t imagine this world being as fun and joyful if this site went away (and subsequently this great game and the imaginative show it represents).

Sure, the game is old, but it is still a classic like Mario or Zelda and those are almost as popular as they have ever been. The mods that add on to BOTF, they are like kaizo or Super Mario Maker. The problem BOTF has is just word of mouth and that is something none of us can really fix without committing to investing in advertising…and at the very least, giving it a home. At the very least it needs a home.

So besides my thanks, I am here to offer help also if I humbly can. I know hosting costs are not the problem so much, but happy to help chip in. Further, if I can help with talent, maybe I can help keep the site up longer. I am not a coding guy, but I can use wordpress if that helps. Who knows what we can do, but I know it is worth a shot.

In closing, I hope you at least feel better abput your efforts. You are all amazing and for that I am very grateful. Not sure that is worth anything, but hoping maybe we can get a group together (Tethys, myself, others) to keep BOTF for future generations.

PM me or reply and I will get back to all of you asap.

Cheers,

Grady

https://www.pcgamer.com/study-finds-ove ... n-archive/
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

RSE_Chris wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:57 am That looks good! And I can't believe you have the BOTF trailer on there, I have not seen it in 20 years and had forgotten it even existed. I enjoyed looking at all your ST stuff on your webpage too. :up:
Thanks! Yeah I really gotta update that page with lots of cool fan games found out there but my focus has been on Civilization modding & video work over the last few years so everywhere else on the website has become rather neglected and on hold lol!
thunderchero wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:01 pm Don't forget the original Microprose Birth of the Federation screensavers
Oh man.. I don't think I've seen them in over 20 years! Wow!
Tethys wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:28 pm I will take over. We cannot lose 2 gaming communities back to back year after year.

I will do it.
Yay!!! There's hope again! :)
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Yeah, the BOTF screensavers! Totally forgot about those!
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I cant believe there is still activity here keeping this magical game alive. I recently loaded it up after not playing for years and its amazing how this old game is still so much better than most new games out there even if it crashes constantly lol. This game and this community really are special and a unique phenomenon and I'm happy to see people still care about this site. I miss the old multiplayer games and tournies that was some of the most fun gaming experiences I ever had and probably will ever have!
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Right? The MOST fun I have had in a game has always been BOTF. There is something about strategizing both in "base building" and chess map positioning and then having it come together in a huge events. One battle doesn't usually wipe you either. So you get at least a few chances to come back and claim glory. :) Mostly because too, there are tons of ways to micro-manage your empire in an easy/fast way to min/max your ship building ability which allows you to claw your way back. Great game and I have still not given up on keeping it alive and even growing its fanbase.
29BQ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 29BQ »

I will do it.
You all have no idea how much I (and other posters) appreciate your support!!! :up: :up:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

29BQ wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:18 pm

I will do it.
You all have no idea how much I (and other posters) appreciate your support!!! :up: :up:
but you did not read his second post
Tethys wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 am It is a rather jaded scenario where I thought I was right about something, but turns out to be wrong as per usual.

I would most certainly volunteer to take over in some capacity, and would firstly be asking for volunteers to help with upkeep since of course my time is spread so thin.
he may have offered, but he is unable to commit the time that would be required.
29BQ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 29BQ »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:01 pm
29BQ wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:18 pm

I will do it.
but you did not read his second post
Tethys wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 am It is a rather jaded scenario where I thought I was right about something, but turns out to be wrong as per usual.

he may have offered, but he is unable to commit the time that would be required.
Oh my bad. I just skimmed quickly. lol. Anyway, that's a shame. :(

Before you shut down this site for good, can you inform us in advance? Others would upload those files to the web servers, so others will access to them at some point. Thanks!
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Guys,

I offered to help Tethys and reached out in PM - no reply.

Will help take it over or at least fund it. Possibly run after I talk to TC etc.

Don't lose hope.
Justinus
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Justinus »

umm, so the "everythink here will end soon2 train ist still on track?

My english isnt that good, so im am unsue if there is hope or not. My impression was that there have been some people who offered to help but i am unsure if it is "enough". So please tell me short if there is a danger next year or not (so i will come back more often und check fpr the latest update. because one thing is for sure: ich play this game a few weeks each year for nearly 25 Years (not totaly complet but its good to read ;o) and the work here has to be conservated (even if it is just for my personal well beeing ;o)...i wont pretend to have altruistic motivation in the first place.

Thank you

Return to “Site Information”