Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New laptop/Win 11 issues

Post by Iceman »

Re .NET, not really sure.

So the game doesn't crash anymore when rendering the models, that's good news.
But it's odd that it crashes when the button is clicked... does it produce a different crash log?
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

Hi Iceman

Sorry if I was not clear earlier, the game only ever crashed on clicking the "Build a Starship" tool button but not everytime.

I can click and build several times in a row and the model selections are available and the rotating 3d model will appear and I can successfully select a model to build. But eventually I will click and it will crash.

I even tried playing different races and staying in round 1 selecting, cancelling and then reselecting ships to build. It works until it doesn't. Eventually it will crash when I click the tool button.

I have forced the game to use versions of DirectX from 9.1 through 11.1 with integrated graphics as default and all crash eventually.

I have forced the game to use versions of DirectX from 9.1 through 11.1 with Nvidia graphics as default and all crash eventually.

All error logs appear to be the same - latest is attached.

Interesting problem eh.
Attachments
Error_1.txt
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Indeed.

The issue seems to be when creating the ship selection window, probably related to the size of the window.
Have you tried playing the game in both FullScreen and Windowed modes?
Different resolutions? Try 1280x768 if all else fails, the game is still using it as default...

Can't think of anything else.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Now with his explanation, I can reproduce this, but with different outcome, for me it "locks" the tool icon,
Snimka zaslona 2023-11-19 115522.png
Snimka zaslona 2023-11-19 115522.png (72.27 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
and i have to close(other icons work) or refresh that window somehow(ie exit to galaxy map).

It does generate error that flashes on exit tho.
EDIT:can reproduce issue with tool, but cant get error to appear anymore.
Attachments
Error.txt
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

This error log has to do with updating the jump list, when saving the game - which is kind of odd in this situation... You did not save the game, I presume, as you were on the shipbuilding screen? Shouldn't be related to autosave either. :???:

The tool button locking is recurrent, yes, and it's in the Win10/64bits list of issues. Not sure what triggers it though.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:45 am This error log has to do with updating the jump list, when saving the game - which is kind of odd in this situation... You did not save the game, I presume, as you were on the shipbuilding screen? Shouldn't be related to autosave either. :???:

The tool button locking is recurrent, yes, and it's in the Win10/64bits list of issues. Not sure what triggers it though.
Did save,...but i made 3-4 turns, than exited(no save at that point).

Will check list again, seem slot of issues in Win10 and 11 are "same".
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

Iceman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:33 pm Indeed.

The issue seems to be when creating the ship selection window, probably related to the size of the window.
Have you tried playing the game in both FullScreen and Windowed modes?
Different resolutions? Try 1280x768 if all else fails, the game is still using it as default...

Can't think of anything else.
Hi Iceman tried both modes and changed resolution to no avail. Frustration now getting the better of me. Will come back and try again in the future.

Thanks for all your help much appreciated.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Scottymac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:00 pm Hi Iceman tried both modes and changed resolution to no avail. Frustration now getting the better of me. Will come back and try again in the future.

Thanks for all your help much appreciated.
Have you tried the test_patch I uploaded yesterday? I'm curious to know if it helps.
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

You had my hopes up there. Sadly no help .
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Scottymac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 pm You had my hopes up there. Sadly no help .
Don't want to get your hopes up again, but here's one more attempt.
I uploaded a new patch just for you, it's even called "patch_for_Scottymac". :mrgreen:
Please test it and let me know how it goes, so that I can remove it after you download it.
Keeping my fingers crossed. You'll lose the rotating models, though.
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

Iceman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:09 pm
Scottymac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:35 pm You had my hopes up there. Sadly no help .
Don't want to get your hopes up again, but here's one more attempt.
I uploaded a new patch just for you, it's even called "patch_for_Scottymac". :mrgreen:
Please test it and let me know how it goes, so that I can remove it after you download it.
Keeping my fingers crossed. You'll lose the rotating models, though.
OK your a genius! Played a couple of games for about 25 turns and hammered the build ship/cancel build/build ship every turn and no crash!!!!

Did crash on 3 occasions though unrelated to ship building.

1st time was when I went to grab some food to settle in for a gaming session and when I came back the laptop had gone to sleep and when it came back up an error message popped up but nothing appeared in the error log.

2nd time was when I pressed the 'turn' button to advance the game and the game froze and I had to kill it. I tried loading the last save game and it crashed with the error log attached.

However, when I went back in to the game again I loaded the auto save which loaded fine and it was as the game should have been had it progressed instead of freezing.

3rd time was when I clicked on an event summary about arriving at a new planet and when I went to the planet an error came up saying "No suitable graphics card found. Unable to create the graphics device. This program requires pixel shader 1.1 and vertex shader 1.1."

After the crash I went back in and went to the same planet with no issues.

I notice some ship models have "Missing Image" icon. There are indeed no 3d models. I also note a few planet systems have no star but do have resouce bonuses visible.

Will play on this afternoon and see what happens. Great work mate!
Attachments
Error1.txt
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Scottymac wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:23 pm OK your a genius! Played a couple of games for about 25 turns and hammered the build ship/cancel build/build ship every turn and no crash!!!!
Awesome! :up:
Sorry I didn't think of this sooner. I know where the issue is, I just don't know why it crashes the game in your laptop.
I'm not sure if the button locking for everyone else is the same issue, but for some reason the button just gets deactivated, and for you it crashes the game. :???:

1st time was when I went to grab some food to settle in for a gaming session and when I came back the laptop had gone to sleep and when it came back up an error message popped up but nothing appeared in the error log.
This might also have to do with XNA. I think someone reported this a long time ago.

2nd time was when I pressed the 'turn' button to advance the game and the game froze and I had to kill it. I tried loading the last save game and it crashed with the error log attached.

However, when I went back in to the game again I loaded the auto save which loaded fine and it was as the game should have been had it progressed instead of freezing.
This error log is the same as before, the XNA issue.

3rd time was when I clicked on an event summary about arriving at a new planet and when I went to the planet an error came up saying "No suitable graphics card found. Unable to create the graphics device. This program requires pixel shader 1.1 and vertex shader 1.1."

After the crash I went back in and went to the same planet with no issues.
It's intriguing that your laptop can "usually" create the graphics device, but at some point decides it can't anymore, and crashes.
This one was probably when rendering the star in the star system panel, which also uses XNA.
I'm sure you have the pre-reqs "Pixel Shader 2.0+ and Vertex Shader 1.1+ support" covered, so the fact that you occasionaly get these crashes is really weird.

I notice some ship models have "Missing Image" icon. There are indeed no 3d models. I also note a few planet systems have no star but do have resouce bonuses visible.
We still need 3D models for some ships, we're waiting on a talented artist to come along and make those. :cool:
Re the stars, it's the XNA issue. Do you see any particular pattern? Only a specific type of star (color) or something? Shouldn't have to do with that, but...

Will play on this afternoon and see what happens. Great work mate!
:up:
Have fun! Let us know how things went.
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

Hi Iceman

So, 60 turns into a Klingon conquest romp and only 2 crashes so far - related to the pixel shader error. I can live with that.

I changed so many things trying to get it all working and I realized I still had the game game forced to use the integrated graphics instead of the Nvidia card. Changed it to force the Nvidia card and system/star graphics look fine to me.

Happy days :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's really good news! :up:
Satan82645
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Satan82645 »

Good day,

Thank you for providing us with this mod, BOTF was my favorite game ... probably of all times, therefore i love any mods/and i am very happy for your contribution.

I have downloaded your mod from this site http://supremacy.2pixels.net/downloads.php and applied both patches ( well, at least i think i did, i just pasted the files over)

i started the first time, everything was working fine, and after I saved the game ( played like 15 turns, late night) i wanted to play it again, however, i get CDT when i try to load it, start a new one, etc... i cant get it to work at all... I dont know what the issue was, i tried to remove it, then install it again, same thing is happening.

I am attaching the error log. any help you might provided would be much appriciated.

Thank you,

Stan
Attachments
Error.txt
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Return to “Supremacy”