Star Trek: Infinite - BOTF successor? Possible

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

29BQ
Ensign
Ensign

Star Trek: Infinite - BOTF successor? Possible

Post by 29BQ »

Paradox and Nimble Giant Entertainment will make a real grand strategy game with a world-renowned intellectual property like Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

More info to be revealed on June 16th, on Picard Day! :shock:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Star Trek: Infinite - BOTF successor? Possible

Post by Flocke »

Amazing and at the same time frightening! :lol:

Well, from what I read Nimble Giant Entertainment is the developer, and Paradox the publisher. Checking out on NGE they have a very small game development history and already the website is broken in that I can't navigate the game titles from the games overview:
https://nimblegiant.com/games/
https://gamecompanies.com/companies/nim ... ertainment

The only grand game they have in portfolio is Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars
https://nimblegiant.com/games/master-of-orion/
That one was released 2016 and published by Wargaming, who owned the IP by 2013.
https://eu.wargaming.net/en/games/moo

It gained overall good critics, but nothing outstanding.
https://opencritic.com/game/3173/master-of-orion
As stated by IGN "I also can’t say you’d be missing anything special by skipping it"
https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/26 ... ion-review
By the same time Stellaris was released, which set new standards in the 4X strategy game genre and gained all attraction.

So while we don't know much about it yet, I'd ask what do you do with only one grand title that got failed and you don't own the IP?
I believe it is a logical choise to place it in some other franchise, and there is no better one than Star Trek. :)

From the small teaser we already can see it doesn't really incorporate the grand universal view of Star Trek, but rather is going to be some casual sandbox game. Plus it already is for sure it is not going to be a BOTF like game. What a relief, they could only fail at this. :mrgreen:
Like with MOO CTS I expect fixed route travels, 2D real time combat, fixed choise based research trees, some silly sort of ground combat, oversimplistic menus, comic style arts and whatever more they could do wrong. But still it might become a fun game. Afterall already MOO CTS did do well compared to the many others that failed before! :D
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Sounds like it might be MOO CTS, but with a Star Trek theme.

The fact it's the same company who did MOO though, doesn't give me much confidence in the end product.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Well, now we know it, it is an official Stellaris spin-off, based on the Stellaris game engine. From the looks it's a little more polished mod than the other Star Trek ones there already are.

Without question Stellaris is an awesome strategy game and already the many existing mods are great fun - despite that I only had a glimpse. But, gameplay wise it is even more far away from BOTF than another MOO title had been.

When some day it's available for cheap, I might check out this official Star Trek mod. But I already know the Stellaris play style and the game play videos tell it all. It's still basically Stellaris. :)
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Yea I saw the screenshots posted, I thought it was Stellaris with the Star trek mod

So they're basically re-releasing Stellaris, but with an ST skin? Seems odd.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Deimos wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:22 pmSo they're basically re-releasing Stellaris, but with an ST skin?
Yes, it very much seems that it is basically a reskin. But from a ferengi point of view that makes perfekt sense. Developing a game from scratch is very expensive. Not reusing major parts of it would be bad business.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

True, although one of my major bug bears with Stellaris is you can't command your fleets once they enter battle, which never made sense to me.
Can you imagine sending an army or navy into battle and as soon as they engage the enemy, you can't do anything except watch?
Maybe it'll be different in this game, but I doubt it.
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

Gameplay trailer is here now.. Pretty pumped as this will probably be the closest thing to a Birth of the Federation 2 we'll ever get!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNry7vIs6w
[bbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNry7vIs6w[/bbvideo]

Looks like it's inspired by the Star Trek mod for Stellaris, I guess Paradox thought “lets make that a real thing” lol, grabbed the Trek licence and enlisted the help of Nimble Giant Entertainment who created the gorgeous looking (but flawed) big budget Master of Orion reboot a few years back. The same people behind a Master of Orion game making a Star Trek 4X game? Hmm that sounds familiar. ;) While I’ve not played the Star Trek mod for Stellaris myself I’ve heard many times over the years from it’s players that it often reminded them of BOTF so it will be very interesting to see just how similar this new game will be. Judging by the steam screenshots there will be story/quest elements much like with Stellaris too. Will be interesting to see if the Borg make a nasty appearance (judging by the teaser vid they will just like in BOTF), how much control we'll have over battle sequences, and if the game does well enough to have more playable races added via DLC addons (eg Dominion).

They've setup a Steam page with lots of nice pictures now too.. have wishlisted!

Image Image
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Honestly, looking at all the in-game screenshots, it's just a reskinned Stellaris, it's basically a more polished version of the free Star Trek mod for Stellaris.
How they're releasing this as a whole new game is rather confusing, at most, it's a DLC.
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

It is Stellaris with a Star Trek skin, however it's been a long time since a ST strategy game has been released (outside of mods), so I'm looking forward to it.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

True, but at the moment, it just looks like a skinned Stellaris, so it won't be anything different to what's already out there.
But I'll wait and see, will be interesting to see the reviews and "Let's play" videos on youtube to see what it's really like.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Well, it is better to have a good copycat than a bad original.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

:yawning:
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Saw this too but not holding my breath until someone tries to do a legal sequel…then I will know Paramount and the developers have an idea of what size shoes they need to try and fill. ;)
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Personally, I'm stoked for this one. It's quite literally a melding of my two favorite space 4x games of all time -- BOTF and Stellaris -- so Star Trek: Infinite is pretty much the game I've been dreaming of. :up:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Return to “General Chat”