Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

GALM Species8472 discussion (Poll)

Post by Tethys »

Their ships are just too powerful, imo, to leave in the player's.. even the AI's.. hands. I am thinking about replacing 8472 with the Coridans, or some other suggestion. 8472 will live on as a Random event once more (SCT doomsday patch), blowing up planets as it rampages through the galaxy.

Poll is open. If you select 'other', comment below :grin:
Last edited by Tethys on Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Axis
Captain
Captain

Re: GALM Species8472 discussion (Poll)

Post by Axis »

If you don't have them already (I haven't played the latest GALM), I'd propose the Hirogen.
Impress the Empress.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Hirogen are there. Shall I bring back the Pakleds? :mrgreen:
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

What about Kelpien? or Ba'ul?
Impress the Empress.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I have never heard of them ?
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

From Discovery, quite integral part of that series, as the first officer Commander/Captain Saru is a Kelpien.
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

How about a rather mystic/unknown minor race like TNG Paxans or the enterprise 'Dead Stop' station builders, so you can make something up for them?

Also here is some of my old special structure suggestions for MUM:

viewtopic.php?p=48702#p48702
viewtopic.php?p=48714#p48714

Plus a borg_empire_pop_assimilation.patch for you to test:
borg_empire_pop_assimilation.patch
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
NOTE: You must also install the updated bombing_empire_morale.patch since borg patch uses code disabled by the update: :!:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=60425#p60425
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Interesting.. this changes the inhabitants of a conquered system to "Borg" or something? ;)

OT: I just got this flash of thought cross my mind: With the Edo God.. what if I can repurpose the Combat Drone somehow? Bring the Edo back, and cmp 07 put the Edo on the 3rd minor race slot, create a case where the model is switched if cmp 06 greater than... hmmmmmm.. that random event subroutine though.. its a tough one to read :mad:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:23 am How about a rather mystic/unknown minor race like TNG Paxans or the enterprise 'Dead Stop' station builders, so you can make something up for them?
Paxans sound interesting.. I wonder if there is a way to adapt the non aggression "move ships to nearest system" for when you first encounter the Paxans.. they send you back to your nearest system and maybe a way to hide them from the list of known minors for x number of first contacts? Enraged status.

Station Builders sound alot like something the Borg would have assimilated and I cant see any real benefit having them unless there is a way to increase ship repairs to instantly (one turn) above their home system.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Poll updated, more races added mostly Delta quadrant races but hey, I am leaning toward Axanari or Devore Imperium.

Poll options are reset.

Special structures ideas:
Axanari - Cargo and trading, +income; Subjugation structure Dom/Kling/Rom for harvesting triglobulin, +biotech -local morale -unrest penalty
Devore - Intel ,+espionage +local morale; Scanner +range +local morale
Hazari - Bounty hunting, +income; Hazari Ale stockhouse, +empire morale +local morale
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:23 am Plus a borg_empire_pop_assimilation.patch for you to test:

borg_empire_pop_assimilation.patch

NOTE: You must also install the updated bombing_empire_morale.patch since borg patch uses code disabled by the update: :!:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=60425#p60425
I might have to expand on this a little bit, when the system is liberated, does it go back to the original resident race name? Or does it stay Borg? My expansion would be: Liberated racename

Works with a small modification (cmp all races not just majors) I see now the note in the patch where it breaks minor race special structures, damn thats a bummer.
Works.png
Works.png (355.45 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Last edited by Tethys on Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Here is the first test of liberating a Borg conquered system where the inhabitant name is changed from 'resident' to 'Borg'. I didn't expect the Feds to be able to liberate it but they did, with 5 TTs, but I had made it easy for them at Idran...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (365.6 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
The Uninhabited system population grows :lol:
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (379.47 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I noped a jmp to // Destroy population, this was the result
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (384.62 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (414.87 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:44 pmwhen the system is liberated, does it go back to the original resident race name? Or does it stay Borg? My expansion would be: Liberated racename

Works with a small modification (cmp all races not just majors) I see now the note in the patch where it breaks minor race special structures, damn thats a bummer.
The patch code skips minor race population systems i.e. works just like vanilla for them. So they can be liberated.
This is illogical, but a simple workaround for special features like the structures. :wink: I wouldn't change the patch code to avoid unforseen issues.
Tethys wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:32 pmHere is the first test of liberating a Borg conquered system where the inhabitant name is changed from 'resident' to 'Borg'. I didn't expect the Feds to be able to liberate it but they did, with 5 TTs, but I had made it easy for them at Idran...
Patch default should destroy the pop since after assimilation any data of the former owner/pop gets deleted.
Unless minor, since patch doesn't assimilate their pop for said reasons....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

GALM Borg Unrest Pop Assimilation Patch

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:32 pm Patch default should destroy the pop since after assimilation any data of the former owner/pop gets deleted.
Unless minor, since patch doesn't assimilate their pop for said reasons....
Update: My changes broke subjugation for other player empires than Borg. Your patch works best for stability.
Update2: Just found out patch breaks any structure with Subjugated requirement. The only solution I can see is having it activate with the Unrest structure.
Update3: You can skip reading all this mess, there's a patch at the bottom :mrgreen:

This is a great, unexpected patch btw. But you know me, trying to suit my needs, I had some fun with this: I think we can save minor races structures for many turns, see very bottom paragraph :idea:

I have made some adjustments to the growth rates in GALM, so patch default does not seem to work as intended, as there remains some population after you try to liberate it (included minor races, only tests so far). So far I have only seen this happen with this patch, subjugations and liberations have been working as expected everywhere else.

I made one change to the patch, cmp BL,5 > cmp BL,35, and when I assimilated the Tellarites, a while after the Feds liberated them. In this scenario, I saw Uninhabited system (screenshot a few post back) with 2 population and Uninhabited race. They cannot be war declared, they cannot be re-conquered. Tellarites still present in diplomacy screen, may be unforeseen consequences for other powers trying to membership Tellarites (no current active population/ground combat on Tellar, no system to control).

Would it not be better to make this a cosmetic change rather than having it change the actual race? I am studying your patch to see if this is possible.

There is another idea I have to maybe keep the original resident race ID into one of the registers (probably CX/CL?) and build a cmp table in place of cmp BL,5 so when liberating, the race change back from Borg to original resident. Not sure if you thought of this, but cmp 0 > cmp 1 > cmp 3 ... cmp 22; if cmp xx matches CL (original resident), MOV BYTE [EDX+44],CL

I have most of the assembly notes labeled already in your patch file, I am wondering though if I am correct or not.. I used: (My only current change is BL,5 > BL,23)
► Show Spoiler
Noping the "destroy population" and replacing it with "MOV BYTE [EDX+44],AL" changes race name to "Federation" and "Humans" in the lower left text, which is where I got the idea to perhaps store the original inhabitant name into CX/CL for this location to be "MOV BYTE [EDX+44],CL" which should restore the original resident race upon liberation. HOWEVER, there would be no liberation, it will be conquered because the way is coded the resident will be read as "Borg" upon invasion. Best case scenario is the system is subjugated and the original race name is restored only after subjugation?

I like the idea of having the rogue Borg in Tellar. The system cannot be re-conquered, but I haven't tested raids or abilities to send diplomacy to Tellarites so there is questions there. A forethought would be to call removal of the race from diplomacy screen to kill game breaking questions before they arise?

Thoughts: :idea: I am now wondering if assimilated name change could be called when unrest structure "Assimilation" is used. In this way, you can liberate the race before the unrest/assimilation is complete and reactivate the minor race :idea: If you wait too long, full assimilation and rogue Borg if trying to liberate :?: This would be an ideal case. It is entirely possible that AI won't use the unrest :?: but a player might. I can lengthen the unrest turn requirements and lower the morale a little so the structure functions again :) 10 turns sounds like a reasonable amount of time to fully assimilate a population, but might not be enough to liberate a large system with Borg ground defense. Adjustments could be made here as well, either to TT effectiveness or nerfing Borg ground defenses. Or I can make it a 15 turn delay for Assimilation.

Cheaty way around > Turn delayed name change: CMP turns,15 > execute. If liberated before 15 turns, no name changes. Optional: Force unrest structure into build queue for Borg AI and Borg Player so it "appears" as assimilation, match unrest structure turn delay to coded name change turn delay.
:!: Turn delay example should be found in Empire Diplomacy (we covered it a bit with sending/receiving diplomacy month or 2 ago)

MAJOR UPDATE: I just inserted the change into the unrest subroutine, and IT WORKS! It was a quick test, no cmp for 02 player (yet) but I do have control of the name change! I just added MOV BYTE [EBX+44],2 to 45FD9E via relocation and inhabitant updated once the unrest had fully completed! So to make this non-functional for emp 0,1,3,4 I must place some check and conditional jump back to normal operations :D

Here is a new patch for testing: (remove SCT patch first)

Code: Select all

NAME: GALM Borg Unrest Pop Assimilation
AUTHOR: Spocks-cuddly-tribble & Tethys
URL: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?p=60991#p60991
DESC: Changes subjugated population name to BORG when using Unrest structure "Assimilation"
DESC: Saves minor race/subjugation structure requirement for a time, allows special buildings
TAG: mod

#>> vanilla code
#<< edited code

>> 0x5f19e  BA 01 00 00 00
<< 0x5f19e  E9 5D D4 22 00

>> 0x1a2600  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
<< 0x1a2600  83 7B 4C 02 75 04 C6 43 44 02 BA 01 00 00 00 E9 8F 2B DD FF

#0045FD9E   E9 5DD42200      JMP 0068D200     // jump to relocation table

#0068D200   837B 4C 02       CMP DWORD PTR DS:[EBX+4C],2     // compare system owner to 02 Borg
#0068D204   75 04            JNZ SHORT 0068D20A     // not 02 Borg, skip next 4 bytes (proceed 68D20A)
#0068D206   C643 44 02       MOV BYTE PTR DS:[EBX+44],2     // system owner = 02 Borg, set raceID of population 02 Borg
#0068D20A   BA 01000000      MOV EDX,1     // relocated data from loc_45FD9E
#0068D20F  ^E9 8F2BDDFF      JMP 0045FDA3     // jump back from relocation, proceed with unrest finish

No messing with the morale, we need to be able to use the unrest structure, and now it has a true purpose! Tested this with Borg and Klingons, Borg changed while Klingons did not. I assume the rest of the races work the same!
► Show Spoiler
Now I am already thinking of extending the patch to the other 4 races unrest structures to "liberate" those assimilated... :twisted:
Well, I tried putting the raceID of population into BL and recalling it for non-Borg unrest, but the result was the unrest structure getting stuck. Build task Trade Goods but build queue stuck with unrest structure. Morale did not update either. My guess is the racename is getting lost in BL somewhere down the line... not sure where to store it? UNFINISHED/BROKEN patch below (do not use, for reference only)
► Show Spoiler
I think I need to find somewhere else the data is stored to restore it. The race names are still active in diplomacy screen, maybe the racename can be extrapolated from that. Or maybe if I put Mov BL after the cmp owner to 02 Borg so it doesnt get reset each time unrest finishes.. hmmm

Return to “Galaxies MOD”