New installer Beta available 11-20-23

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

New installer Beta available 11-20-23

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

here are the links to the current beta version of installers

BOTF_Top_10_mods_2.0.3b.exe

BOTF_older_mods_2.0.3b.exe

This version has been so long in the making too many changes to list (and don't remember all of them)
most changes was minor corrections UE would flag during an integrity check (new public release of UE is not available yet)
I hope all UM5 issues were corrected (UE helped a lot there)
new compatibility setting to allow different windows scale
many changes to ECM that Spocks-cuddly-tribble would like some testing on :wink:
minor changes to MUM and UM5 irregular galaxies code
no update to Galaxy mod
many font and GUI fixes in general thanks to Benman2785 observations/suggestions
If I think of other notable changes post will be updated

Please post issue in this topic

enjoy
thunderchero
thunderchero

Re: New installer Beta available 11-20-23

Post by thunderchero »

file issue fixed
HarryMudd
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HarryMudd »

When I attempted to install on Win 10 I received a 'Setup files corrupted' message (or summat like it!)
Is this the issue that is fixed?
I'm just downloading again now in case of a corrupted download.
Brian
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

HarryMudd wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:36 pm When I attempted to install on Win 10 I received a 'Setup files corrupted' message (or summat like it!)
Is this the issue that is fixed?
correct, I had upload corruption that I did not expect and was late in the evening and did not check by downloading like I normally do.
HarryMudd
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HarryMudd »

Thanks, just installing it now.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

any feedback on this version of installer?

what mods are you testing?
musso256
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by musso256 »

Just saw you’ve released it, I’m going to give UM5 a go.
With 2.0.3a I’ve had a fair few combat crashes with Galaxies mod. I’m keen to try and figure out if the problem is my PC or I’ve genuinely found a bug. I’ve spent many hours pouring over the forums (am a long time player but am new to these forums) trying to determine if it’s my setup (eg graphics drivers), but when I have a particular combat that has a CTD, it persists regardless of SOFTWARE, DIRECT3D etc (I’ve even figured out how to get 3DFX and P2 to render!) and other combinations of dxwnd settings. I’m on an old laptop rig so am open to accepting the problem is my PC.
Any saved games with imminent combat I could try for any of the top 10 mods that could help me? Ie something that is known to work?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

musso256 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:37 pm it persists regardless of SOFTWARE, DIRECT3D etc (I’ve even figured out how to get 3DFX and P2 to render!)
with dxwnd you should only use software setting, (other settings/hades files, require max 256 x 256 images, 512 x 512 are in installer = crash).

as for your CTD too little info given,

if you upload saved game someone might take a look, you would also need to tell us installer version and resolution used to test saved game.

saved game will more than likely not work on new installer version
musso256
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by musso256 »

Ok, here goes:
- Galaxies Mod
- Installer: AIO 2.0.3 (not A or B, just 2.0.3)
- This mod only has 1024 resolution, so that was selected
- Tethys 0.3.6x1 update (so trek and stbof.res are replaced)
- DxWnd fullscreen
- Renderer: SOFTWARE (though DIRECT3D has the same outcome for me)

Saved game attached. Turn 151. Two combats occur, the first doesn't crash (only lasts 1 turn). The second will crash on turn 3, or any prior turn if you select charge or strafe. On which ever turn it crashes on, it CTDs before you see the turn commence (perhaps it fails in the calculation of the turn outcome before rendering?) - no crash log is generated.

In the lead up to this turn, various other tactical combats have occurred, there's a mixed success in terms of CTD and i can't discern a pattern.

I'll be testing out UM5 in 2.0.3b, hopefully I can contribute and not just ask for help :grin:
Attachments
game1.sav
(464.02 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

0.3.6x1 update is part of 2.0.3 installer and is not needed.
Galaxy mod is a work in progress
crash error is located in weapons code at 52A546 (no idea why crash is happening, Tethys makes code changes without documentation)

so if using Galaxy mod you should expect crashes like this and doubt if they can be fixed/diagnosed easily.

strange thing about that combat the sun animation is between the 2 fleets :shock:
is phaser/photons animation firing though sun animation?
musso256
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by musso256 »

Thanks for confirming it’s a bug and not my setup! Much appreciated :grin:
I don’t think I tried getting a camera view of weapons passing through or not, off the top of my head there are some that reach the ship in the first round. I’ll play around with it and get back to you.

Re 2.0.3B and UM5, Sol has population assignment errors sometimes, but I think that is a known bug? If not I can be more specific.
These next points are not complaints, just trying to be helpful as much as possible!
Do the Bynars always offer membership (when playing Fed) as soon as they meet you? With a message about a war? They did for me and it was only turn 3 or 4. Building on that point, they had ‘primitive farms’, and when adding the ‘upgrade to automated farms’ into the build queue, it’s called ‘n/a’
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:49 amstrange thing about that combat the sun animation is between the 2 fleets :shock:
Is this all battles with this sun type in GALM or just this a singular special case?
I don't even recall how to change the position of sun/anomaly animations in tactical combat. :???:
musso256 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:45 amUM5, Sol has population assignment errors sometimes, but I think that is a known bug? If not I can be more specific.
If this is only after reloading a save game then it's may be due to (plus there is other bugs where you need to clear and reset all pop units):
Auto-fix 'solarapi.c, Line: 5279, query != NULL' when loading single player saves -> viewtopic.php?p=57851#p57851
musso256 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:45 amDo the Bynars always offer membership (when playing Fed) as soon as they meet you? With a message about a war? They did for me and it was only turn 3 or 4. Building on that point, they had ‘primitive farms’, and when adding the ‘upgrade to automated farms’ into the build queue, it’s called ‘n/a’
In vanilla this happens sometimes with the Mintakans, so might be a changed race ID slot and/or the personality value?
Low tech primitive farms also sound like the vanilla Mintakan tech values.
There is some (fixed) vanilla bugs with primitive farms not upgradable, but the n/a sounds like a mod glitch.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:44 amIn vanilla this happens sometimes with the Mintakans, so might be a changed race ID slot and/or the personality value?
It happens in ECMs with the Mintakans as well. The crucial condition is to have a combat ship in the system. So a colony ship will not trigger this surrender into membership, but scouts do.

Sometimes it happens for other minors as well. I have seen it happen with the Antedeans, but not for the Bynars.
musso256
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by musso256 »

That makes sense. IIRC I’ve seen it with the Mintakans.
I went and checked and Bynaus is adjacent to Sol so it was turn 3 I got the membership message. Personal record haha!
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

War Check Fix for Pacifist Minor Races

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

justanick wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:57 pmThe crucial condition is to have a combat ship in the system.
Yeah, a strange bug with the minor race personality "pacifist". Unfavorable shared code checks for armed ships (i.e. including klingon colony/TT) - at war within 1 flight turn, else only system sector. But the feature itself lacks a war check (hence the wrong war message). :dwn:

Here is the fix patch:

WarCheckFixforPacifistMinorRaces.patch
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.

Return to “General Chat”