Issues in MP games

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Issues in MP games

Post by Lakotavar »

Iceman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:06 am 1) This has not been addressed yet, no. From your previous report, there's only issues with this screen and the envoy assignment (IIRC) window, correct? If you run into the envoy issue again, please post a pic.
As far as he told me, it's the envoy assignment screen and the building screen.
2) Will look into it. What resolution are you playing at? That text should be centered on the viewport.
I am playing at 2560 x 1440
3) If the number of turns you shave off those 61 by upgrading first is less than 11 (the time to build the upgrade), I'm not so sure.
OK, I see. You mainly look at the current situation with some prognosis and then I would agree.
Otherwise it's a common strategy for mining games to consider all kinds of production facilities an investment for all future buildings since it's obviously not only about the council and I will save some turns for every building after the upgrade. But I see it's a different approach and I changed it manually.
5) The radius of claims depends on the population of the colony. As the population grows beyond certain thresholds, adjacent sectors will be claimed. Those threshold values depend on the type of civ (empire, expanding minor, etc). It's always limited to 3 IIRC. For empires it's every 100 pop.
Thanks a lot for the explanation.
6) That is a known bug, yes, but IIRC it requires some non-trivial refactoring. IIRC even when you cannot recall from the diplo screen, you can from the Assets screen Personnel tab.
Alright, thanks.

Also it was a bit late last night and I should have taken the time to make sure we noticed the changes especially on hard settings :up:
We didn't manage to meet yet since we are basically in the opposite corners but we made quite some progress.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:18 am
Iceman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:06 am 2) Will look into it. What resolution are you playing at? That text should be centered on the viewport.
I am playing at 2560 x 1440
It's only the text that is displayed wrong, the model is viewed properly, correct?

BTW, removed the text when no model is selected :up:

3) If the number of turns you shave off those 61 by upgrading first is less than 11 (the time to build the upgrade), I'm not so sure.
OK, I see. You mainly look at the current situation with some prognosis and then I would agree.
Otherwise it's a common strategy for mining games to consider all kinds of production facilities an investment for all future buildings since it's obviously not only about the council and I will save some turns for every building after the upgrade. But I see it's a different approach and I changed it manually.
Yes, but in this case, with the Morale EW bonus, I'd rather have it as soon as possible, rather than later; especially during the expansion phase, with all the morale from colonizations accumulating.
And the AI will upgrade the replication plants at some point, it's not like it is ignoring it.
Notice that I'm just explaining what I would do (*), I'm not saying it is what the AI does / was taught to do. It did not do those calculations, it just chose to build the council first because reasons :wink: Probably because it thought that 11 turns was way too much for an upgrade, at that point in the game / with that colony's industry output level - it does do those kinds of calculations.

(*) If I had the credits to rush buy the upgrade (and not the council), then I'd queue the upgrade first.

Also it was a bit late last night and I should have taken the time to make sure we noticed the changes especially on hard settings :up:
We didn't manage to meet yet since we are basically in the opposite corners but we made quite some progress.
:up:
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

Iceman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:01 am It's only the text that is displayed wrong, the model is viewed properly, correct?

BTW, removed the text when no model is selected :up:
OK, great! Yes, the models are viewed properly as long as they exist.. there were just a few in late game and for minor civs that probably do not exist yet and I did not see a reason in pushing the artists :wink: Or should all previews exist? Then I would make reports for these cases in the future.

Yes, but in this case, with the Morale EW bonus, I'd rather have it as soon as possible, rather than later; especially during the expansion phase, with all the morale from colonizations accumulating.
And the AI will upgrade the replication plants at some point, it's not like it is ignoring it.
Notice that I'm just explaining what I would do (*), I'm not saying it is what the AI does / was taught to do. It did not do those calculations, it just chose to build the council first because reasons :wink: Probably because it thought that 11 turns was way too much for an upgrade, at that point in the game / with that colony's industry output level - it does do those kinds of calculations.

(*) If I had the credits to rush buy the upgrade (and not the council), then I'd queue the upgrade first.
Alright, I can see there other considerations and it's probably hard to tell the AI to take into account buildings that cannot even be built by that time :lol:
The moral bonus might actually help because I want to get rid of the one Card system inside my territory :twisted:

And as I told my friend yesterday, I would probably not even play a huge map without building AI so this is great stuff in any case. This would be a micro-management paradise for some though.. :mrgreen:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:23 am OK, great! Yes, the models are viewed properly as long as they exist.. there were just a few in late game and for minor civs that probably do not exist yet and I did not see a reason in pushing the artists :wink: Or should all previews exist? Then I would make reports for these cases in the future.
We do not have models for any minor civ ships, no, and we are still missing some models for some of the empires' ships (actually we need to make some Ship Classes up, still). See here.

Alright, I can see there other considerations and it's probably hard to tell the AI to take into account buildings that cannot even be built by that time :lol:
The moral bonus might actually help because I want to get rid of the one Card system inside my territory :twisted:

And as I told my friend yesterday, I would probably not even play a huge map without building AI so this is great stuff in any case. This would be a micro-management paradise for some though.. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
It's a work in progress. There are still a bunch of tweaks needed, and the Defenses part is not fully working yet - it handles OBs but not planetary shields.
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

I just quickly chatted to my friend and he told me he only knows of these two resolution issues because he then switched to window mode and he wouldn't see if another page has the issue. The map seems fine though. He will check next time.. Sorry for the report in pieces in this case.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 pm 1) My friend still has issues with the resolution
What resolution is your friend playing at?
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

Iceman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:46 am What resolution is your friend playing at?
He is playing at 3440 x 1440
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:05 pm
Iceman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:46 am What resolution is your friend playing at?
He is playing at 3440 x 1440
Can you ask your friend to test the new patch and see if it fixes the resolution issue in the Production panel, please?
And while at it, please ask him to take a screenshot of the other issue, the envoy assignment panel, and post it here.
Thanks.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:10 am I just quickly chatted to my friend and he told me he only knows of these two resolution issues because he then switched to window mode and he wouldn't see if another page has the issue. The map seems fine though. He will check next time.. Sorry for the report in pieces in this case.
If the patch fixed your friend's issue with the Production panel, and he's playing full screen again, please ask him to check if there are any other issues, and if so, to take screenshots.
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

Iceman wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:42 pm
Can you ask your friend to test the new patch and see if it fixes the resolution issue in the Production panel, please?
And while at it, please ask him to take a screenshot of the other issue, the envoy assignment panel, and post it here.
Thanks.
The new patch did not fix the issue. In full screen or maximized window mode the resolution still cuts some parts. Only in reduced window mode scrolling bars appear that make it possible to see everything which was cut. The following screenshots indicate the two panels that have the resolution issue.
image_2024_02_10T18_13_23_186Z.jpg
image_2024_02_10T18_13_23_186Z.jpg (810.13 KiB) Viewed 368 times
image_2024_02_10T18_03_48_888Z.jpg
image_2024_02_10T18_03_48_888Z.jpg (765.04 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, thanks.

When you contact each other in the game, please check those issues you reported with the previous version.
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

Today in our third MP session (huge map) we finally managed to meet and the first contact worked! Thanks for your efforts :up:

However after we made an Alliance we did not only share our map data but the entire map was shared for both of us. Probably Q was involved? :lol:
alliance-too_much.jpg
alliance-too_much.jpg (825.08 KiB) Viewed 363 times

MP Federation Huge Irregular before.sav
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
MP Federation Huge Irregular after.sav
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

Other than that we did not encounter any new issues.

I should mention that we currently play a different game and since time is limited we will get back to botf2 and this savegame later.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:10 pm Today in our third MP session (huge map) we finally managed to meet and the first contact worked! Thanks for your efforts :up:

However after we made an Alliance we did not only share our map data but the entire map was shared for both of us. Probably Q was involved? :lol:
:lol:
Will check, thanks.

Other than that we did not encounter any new issues.

I should mention that we currently play a different game and since time is limited we will get back to botf2 and this savegame later.
Sure! Thanks for all the time you guys put into this!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:10 pm However after we made an Alliance we did not only share our map data but the entire map was shared for both of us. Probably Q was involved? :lol:
Duh! Found and fixed the issue.

Did the shared contacts fix work ?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:51 pm In full screen or maximized window mode the resolution still cuts some parts.
Regarding the Production panel, can you ask your friend (or get him to post in the forums :wink: ) what would be the best approach to this:

1 - reduce the size of the elements in the panel so they all fit (the current patch reduced the size of the PF images, but didn't reduce the spacing between them - hence not fixing the issue)

or

2 - keep the previous size of all the elements (revert the current patch), and add a vertical scroll bar to the panel so that the labor pool can be accessed

Anyone can chime in, ofc, especially if you're playing ultra wide.

Return to “Supremacy”