UE and adding more tech levels

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

UE and adding more tech levels

Post by Final Run »

Say, if you wanted to increase the tech levels to twelve-- for example, could you do that with just UE? New descriptions would need to written of course, but what else?

Edit: recently looked at some other mods that feature extended tech, they do have a patch :!:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: UE and adding more tech levels

Post by Flocke »

Final Run wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:25 pm Say, if you wanted to increase the tech levels to twelve-- for example, could you do that with just UE? New descriptions would need to written of course, but what else?
Late answer, but yes, that's been an experimental feature in UE for some while already.
Experimental features have to be unlocked in the UE settings menu.
By the little reports, I think it's rather stable and made it non-experimental now. :wink:
tech-fields.jpg
tech-fields.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Add / remove stbof.res tech levels for some tech field with the little +/- buttons bottem left.
If trek.exe limit is reached, UE will warn.

The trek.exe limit can be set on the right and automatically patches trek.exe if needed. :wink:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 am but yes, that's been an experimental feature in UE for some while already.
correct me if I am wrong, but UE will only allow adding tech levels to stbof.res files. Hex code changes still need to be done with patch or manually?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:46 am correct me if I am wrong, but UE will only allow adding tech levels to stbof.res files. Hex code changes still need to be done with patch or manually?
Not needed. Released with UE 0.9.0dev1 I already added trek.exe patch from edifice patcher 18 months back:
https://gitlab.com/stbotf/ultimate-edit ... 6a42cc0e56
For details see parent commit and inspect files.

I don't remember any testing feedback though. :roll:

Edit: I searched forums, but looks like I totally forgot to report on that new feature. :lol:
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

Thanks for response.

I do also remember the last time I tried adding more levels in UE that the descriptions got jumbled and were out of order when I checked again after(or even in the wrong tech field).

Wish I could still remember what version of UE that was :sad:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Final Run wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 pm Wish I could still remember what version of UE that was :sad:
sounds like you need to get the latest code and compile... or maybe just wait a few more weeks.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:56 pm ... or maybe just wait a few more weeks.
I wanted to be done early last year. And what did I get? New stuff to fix every time I'm getting close to release. :lol:
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:56 pm
Final Run wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 pm Wish I could still remember what version of UE that was :sad:
sounds like you need to get the latest code and compile... or maybe just wait a few more weeks.
Well I sort of fell off for the past week or so-- was a little busier than usual and not logged in for awhile.

So, I might as well ask: Any news yet? :grin:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Final Run wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 pm So, I might as well ask: Any news yet? :grin:
Welcome back! TC has been busy finding new bugs. Now my todo list is double the size than two weeks back. :lol:
But, we both confirmed that adding technology levels with UE basically works.

Not sure on messed descriptions though. If they got messed with last release, it is long fixed. I don't remember. :roll:

To increase technology levels, you need to be careful to:
  • Enable experimental mode in settings GUI if not compiling the latest source code yourself.
  • Add an equal amount of technology levels for each technology field in the technology levels GUI.
  • In same GUI increase the trek.exe technology levels.
  • In the buildings GUI, use settings button or increase some building tech level to get the settings prompt and match edifice.bst tech levels with the trek.exe tech levels.
It's on my list to automatically update edifice.bst. So far I implemented to automatically equal the technology field levels.
And right now I work on fixing some more serious bugs reported.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

Thanks for the info, Flocke. I'll probably look at it again in UE soon.

This I am less sure about though. What buildings? Any?
Flocke wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:02 am [*]In the buildings GUI, use settings button or increase some building tech level to get the settings prompt and match edifice.bst tech levels with the trek.exe tech levels.
[/list]
I suppose I'll have some time figure it out though first thing next morning, though.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”