"Generations" BOTF development mod

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: "Generations" BOTF development mod

Post by Studmaster »

justanick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm
Studmaster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am8x buildings patch
What does this patch do?
Instead of being able to build/queue four buildings, it allows eight instead. Easier for management
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Finished all major ships/stations at the moment. Will need some testing from myself to see how a game will go.

Updated main post as well
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Jokers patch added
this patch is not needed and will mess things up with current DxWnd setup.
the patch in the patch folder is for removing joker patch and is no longer need (patch should be green = joker patch removed)

Auto-upgrade main buildings fix (not quite working yet, shows the upgrade but is 0 credits) = one Turn when upgrade structures patch?
this is how patch was intended 0 cost = 1 turn upgrade (I look at it as it should take at least 1 turn to upgrade physical structures)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm :wink:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble might suggest some patches if gets time. (he wrote most of them :cool: )
But from your list you might want to add more "bug fixes" at least, but he knows them better than me
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm Jokers patch added
this patch is not needed and will mess things up with current DxWnd setup.
the patch in the patch folder is for removing joker patch and is no longer need (patch should be green = joker patch removed)

Auto-upgrade main buildings fix (not quite working yet, shows the upgrade but is 0 credits) = one Turn when upgrade structures patch?
this is how patch was intended 0 cost = 1 turn upgrade (I look at it as it should take at least 1 turn to upgrade physical structures)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm :wink:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble might suggest some patches if gets time. (he wrote most of them :cool: )
But from your list you might want to add more "bug fixes" at least, but he knows them better than me
Oh I thought I added it but it is green so that mean removed so I guess I am good. Will correct this in first post

Understandable about the buildings patch but it's okay and works well.

Will await for any other patches I should add.

Any info on the bribe resistance?

Just finished my first game and forgot to turn off random events....Borg ruined it lol but it seems to be working well so far. One crash at startup of new game but restarting game cleared it. First crash log on game and not too worried. Probably random
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm Any info on the bribe resistance?
it fixes the the communication grid bug iirc
viewtopic.php?p=32777#p32777
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm
Studmaster wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm Any info on the bribe resistance?
it fixes the the communication grid bug iirc
viewtopic.php?p=32777#p32777
I will have to go in manually and adjust since UE cannot do this correct

After looking around a program like HxD should work, floke uses that one
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Applied Thunderchero's modified battle camera view....its fantastic and can be manually zoomed out as well if it gets too close to the action. Thank you for this!

Also doing some more games to see how everything is going before figuring out the bribe thing(Still out of my wheel house of coding yet) and how I am going to do hero ships
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Hero ships are putting me in a weird position for balance. One side of things they should be more powerful then the regular version but not overpowered. On the other hand do you really need to buy one for the cost when the cost of a few non heroes would do better and cheaper.

This might take a bit of time for me to properly balance these ships with my current build; also currently working on first getting the federation ones done. I am not going to be putting them all in because the list will just get super cluttered however the more well known ones will be.

Also Thunderchero, saw your model of the galaxy on YouTube just recently and it looks really high end. Good job!
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

Studmaster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:09 pmHero ships are putting me in a weird position for balance. One side of things they should be more powerful then the regular version but not overpowered. On the other hand do you really need to buy one for the cost when the cost of a few non heroes would do better and cheaper.
If you are more limited by production capacity than ship support, then regular ships ought to be preferable. Once you have exhausted free ship support and are likely to go into serios credit consumption, then hero ships may become worthwhile. So one possible approach is that hero ships have similar values like regular ships with the exception of being harder to kill, due to better shields and hull.

Or there could be some sort of limitation like only one hero ships being buildable or only one at time or in only in systems with a facility that can only be in one system, say Utopia Planitia. Is there even a reasonable way to do this?

If Utopia Planitia and the respective hero shipyards of the other races had an unreasonable ship production bonus of say 20000 and hero ships would be appropriately overpriced it may sort of work. But of course only if revenue from scrapping ships is reduced similar to ECM.

Also it could make sense to limit the command bonus to hero ships. You want to have at least one command ship in any larger fleet for the bonus in combat. But much more than one might be too expensive.

All in all i am not sure that hero ships will turn out to be an idea worth pursuing.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

justanick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:51 am
Studmaster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:09 pmHero ships are putting me in a weird position for balance. One side of things they should be more powerful then the regular version but not overpowered. On the other hand do you really need to buy one for the cost when the cost of a few non heroes would do better and cheaper.
If you are more limited by production capacity than ship support, then regular ships ought to be preferable. Once you have exhausted free ship support and are likely to go into serios credit consumption, then hero ships may become worthwhile. So one possible approach is that hero ships have similar values like regular ships with the exception of being harder to kill, due to better shields and hull.

Or there could be some sort of limitation like only one hero ships being buildable or only one at time or in only in systems with a facility that can only be in one system, say Utopia Planitia. Is there even a reasonable way to do this?

If Utopia Planitia and the respective hero shipyards of the other races had an unreasonable ship production bonus of say 20000 and hero ships would be appropriately overpriced it may sort of work. But of course only if revenue from scrapping ships is reduced similar to ECM.

Also it could make sense to limit the command bonus to hero ships. You want to have at least one command ship in any larger fleet for the bonus in combat. But much more than one might be too expensive.

All in all i am not sure that hero ships will turn out to be an idea worth pursuing.
Thanks for the feedback

Looking at this, it's just going to take more time fleshing out the stats on flagships then the regular ships. That's okay because this isn't going to be a rushed mod

Now with what was said....this mod not having flagships would be a disservice. We are going through the generation and through those generations legends were born.

Looking into the flagship mod, there are good things that it did. I need to figure out a way so that only one flagship can be built and once gone....its gone. However I want to have all the generations in there without going through a upgrade from nx to whatever my end would be. If the player keeps it alive then I see no reason why it couldn't be around helping out.

The patches are still something I need to go through carefully but will add that scrap patch when I can

I am also debating doing a beta test after the flagships and other smaller things have finished to give others a chance to try it out. Feedback in how I optimized the ships of all races(except minors) would give a much needed test that could be done quicker then I could do. It's meant to be a much slower game so it should be interesting.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:01 am Looking into the flagship mod, there are good things that it did. I need to figure out a way so that only one flagship can be built and once gone....its gone. However I want to have all the generations in there without going through a upgrade from nx to whatever my end would be. If the player keeps it alive then I see no reason why it couldn't be around helping out.
It has been a long time since flagship mod was created,

flagship mod sacrifices a ship type for the flagship, I can't even remember what ship type I used now.

but it might be possible to have nx hero on t1 start, Constitution on t2, Excelsior on t3, Ambassador on t4, Galaxy on t5
not sure if that is even possible though.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:33 am
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:01 am Looking into the flagship mod, there are good things that it did. I need to figure out a way so that only one flagship can be built and once gone....its gone. However I want to have all the generations in there without going through a upgrade from nx to whatever my end would be. If the player keeps it alive then I see no reason why it couldn't be around helping out.
It has been a long time since flagship mod was created,

flagship mod sacrifices a ship type for the flagship, I can't even remember what ship type I used now.

but it might be possible to have nx hero on t1 start, Constitution on t2, Excelsior on t3, Ambassador on t4, Galaxy on t5
not sure if that is even possible though.
Well once all the heroes are completed I will see how the ai builds them. If it's not a issue then great if it is then I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

also it was noted in flagship mod topic, it would be possible to steal your hero ship using intel. :shock:

but the chance of this should be able to be decreased if not eliminated using intel multipliers.
by changing base multiplier espionage to 0 for all races, but this will greatly effect intel
or just by nop sub for stealing ships
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:09 pm also it was noted in flagship mod topic, it would be possible to steal your hero ship using intel. :shock:

but the chance of this should be able to be decreased if not eliminated using intel multipliers.
by changing base multiplier espionage to 0 for all races, but this will greatly effect intel
or just by nop sub for stealing ships
If another race takes the ship.....I take that as a well done and an unfortunate event. Is there a way where some ships can be harder to get then others?
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Planets and extended system sizes
Food popup for max growth (fix)

Changed how orbital batteries work. Now can only get one per system
Dilithium Refineries now product 2 instead of one
All scanners have been improved
Martial Law for all improved to 10
Shield Generator efficiency lowered to 25