"Generations" BOTF development mod

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

"Generations" BOTF development mod

Post by Studmaster »

I am developing a new BOTF mod called "Generations".

It will be an updated but also brand-new version to the "All the Ages" mod. Only 1920X1080 resolution

Mod would include:
As many generational ships as I can put in & optimized for great battles

New buildings/modified old ones for all civilizations that make sense and useful

This won't be rapid. fast tech, expansion mod. My plans for this are to be a slower progress making ships matter and decisions important. Ships are going to be well thought out (but also not canon since I want to balance them in a way that seems well for the engine, progressiveness and decisiveness)

Will update as needed on how it's going. Also, would like some suggestions as to what others would like to see in helping me mold this mod to be enjoyable for many.

UPDATES(Will continue to be updated as I see fit)

Federation will be more focused on shields/shield recharge and technology.
Cardassians will be more focused on hull durability and intel.
Romulans will be more focused on torpedo's and intel.
Klingons will be more focused on honor, more weapons, and manufacturing.
Ferengi will be more focused on profitability, lower cost and maintenance.

Federation ships finished (Heros done for now)
Cardassians ships finished (Heros ships later)
Romulans ships finished (Heros ships later)
Klingon ships finished (Heros ships later)
Ferengi ships finished (Heros ships later)

Technology progression finished
Morale Penalties and benefits finished

Current Patches applied:

8x buildings patch
Bribe Resistance Fix
Building and ship upgrade bug fix
Disable buy confirmation
Food Starvation rounding fix
Minor race hidden from diplomacy fix
Auto-upgrade main buildings fix(not quite working yet, shows the upgrade but is 0 credits)
Dynamic Widescreen Zoom in for any galaxy grid
Instant terraforming bug fix
Phantom-Dilithium Bug fix
Build minor ships(ships not optimized yet)
Nerf Ferengi free trade
Applied Thunderchero's modified battle camera view
Planets and extended system sizes
Food popup for max growth (fix)
"Ships survive / Strike Cruiser defensive bonus & Orbital Battery fixes" (Thanks Thunder)
Ai absurd offers fix
Remove unneeded rendering calculations patch
Last edited by Studmaster on Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: "Generations" BOTF development mod

Post by Studmaster »

Working on Federation ships first(adding/personalizing)

Then Cardassians,Ferengi, Klingons and Romulans

Feds will have better shields and recharge; average everything else (will try to add hero ships((on all races)) and make them expensive but not too expensive...thoughts)

Cardassians will have beefier hulls and better beams

Ferengi will be cheaper and less maintenance but average throughout the ship line for everything

Klingons will have double the weapons with slight reduction in damage with some ships with cloak

Romulans will have stronger torpedoes and as well cloak)

Increasing maintenance for all races by the way for lesser ships and better battles. Except Ferengi as stated above
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I always like the mod concept, The really tough part is getting enough early/late era ships for other race.

Sounds like you are interested enough you might even try your hand at ship modeling (if I can do it, anyone should be able to). If interested let me know some software is no longer available.

As for the normal resolutions available, as long as you don't make any major GUI changes (with vanilla race I don't expect many)

here is a couple popular patches that are new.
system location in build screen patch
viewtopic.php?p=53039#p53039
Build Queue project with 4 new slots (limits resolution to 1024 due to space)
viewtopic.php?p=53977#p53977
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:43 pm I always like the mod concept, The really tough part is getting enough early/late era ships for other race.

Sounds like you are interested enough you might even try your hand at ship modeling (if I can do it, anyone should be able to). If interested let me know some software is no longer available.

As for the normal resolutions available, as long as you don't make any major GUI changes (with vanilla race I don't expect many)

here is a couple popular patches that are new.
system location in build screen patch
viewtopic.php?p=53039#p53039
Build Queue project with 4 new slots (limits resolution to 1024 due to space)
viewtopic.php?p=53977#p53977
Ahh yes the extra build slots would be wonderful since I hate just four.

Will take a look at the other one as well. Thank you

I just actually had a game with my current build as a test and everything from start to finish was wonderful. Made it to about turn 400 on a medium map which helps out a lot for turns. Cardassians got beat but the rest were hanging around. Had an epic battle with the Ferg which ended pretty close even though they had 3x the amount of ships then I did(which is what I want for them to build lots but for them to be average on their ships). I still have much to do yet and would like to get it fleshed out more before I start any kind of releasing.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Added 18 ships group patch.

Going through all ships again since original one I have adapted has some issues in balance.

Thunderchero, looked at the above post and tried to add the build screen patch 4-8. Went through the tools from UE install and found some of the files but unsure if they are the correct ones. tried following your way to install it and couldn't get it to work yet.

After looking at it more I found that the patcher wasn't even installing till I clicked on the files lol. Went through the correct process of the two files to patch but got a ! on one of the files... At first I thought it would matter but when I applied the other files with UE just to see it locks up at the very beginning of loading a race(ex.feds)

Maybe my brain is fried for the night and need a break lol
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:32 pm Added 18 ships group patch.
18 task fleet patch works, but will complicate/conflict with some patches. when in combat with minors, combat is limited to single minor ship even if more ships in same sector. also lowers available taskforce id's in longer game this could become an issue since code does not reuse id's.

only 3 mods have this currently UDM, UCW and Galaxy mod.
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:32 pm Thunderchero, looked at the above post and tried to add the build screen patch 4-8. Went through the tools from UE install and found some of the files but unsure if they are the correct ones. tried following your way to install it and couldn't get it to work yet.

After looking at it more I found that the patcher wasn't even installing till I clicked on the files lol. Went through the correct process of the two files to patch but got a ! on one of the files... At first I thought it would matter but when I applied the other files with UE just to see it locks up at the very beginning of loading a race(ex.feds)

when you run trek.exe patcher (bof patcher)
apply the patches separately
first relocation patch then build queue patch
before patching with relocation patch the build queue patch will be display red, after build queue patch is applied relocation patch will display red this is expected.
then add files with UE only from the matching installed resolution folder.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 pm
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:32 pm Added 18 ships group patch.
18 task fleet patch works, but will complicate/conflict with some patches. when in combat with minors, combat is limited to single minor ship even if more ships in same sector. also lowers available taskforce id's in longer game this could become an issue since code does not reuse id's.

only 3 mods have this currently UDM, UCW and Galaxy mod.
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:32 pm Thunderchero, looked at the above post and tried to add the build screen patch 4-8. Went through the tools from UE install and found some of the files but unsure if they are the correct ones. tried following your way to install it and couldn't get it to work yet.

when you run trek.exe patcher (bof patcher)
apply the patches separately
first relocation patch then build queue patch
before patching with relocation patch the build queue patch will be display red, after build queue patch is applied relocation patch will display red this is expected.
then add files with UE only from the matching installed resolution folder.
Thought I did that but will have to try again tomorrow with my backup clean botf and see what happens...

I didn't know the 18 ship could cause so many issues, should I just remove it? It wasn't a huge difference just nice to clean up the ships.

My mod would like to have the least amount of issues while also having some decent updates to the code. Will do some forums searching and see what I would like to keep and what I don't.
justanick
Ensign
Ensign

Post by justanick »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 pmonly 3 mods have this currently UDM, UCW and Galaxy mod.
How sensible would it be for users to unpatch say the Ultimate Dominion Mod?
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 pmI didn't know the 18 ship could cause so many issues, should I just remove it?
That may over all be the better trade-off. Litte gain but potential for not so little side effects.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

justanick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 am
thunderchero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 pmonly 3 mods have this currently UDM, UCW and Galaxy mod.
Studmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 pmI didn't know the 18 ship could cause so many issues, should I just remove it?
That may over all be the better trade-off. Litte gain but potential for not so little side effects.
It would not be so easy, there is 3 or 4 patches that had to be altered to calculate larger taskforce properly. So each of those patches would need to be edited or removed also.

as for should you keep it installed, that is up to you. But since it has no uninstaller for that patch you should decide early :wink:
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

justanick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 am
Going through all the patches tonight and seeing what I want and not want in the mod. Going down the road of maybe just error fixes and 8x buildings.

This mod will be more about the "Generations" of ships with clean battles and enjoyable gameplay.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Was finally able to install the building patch so now I have 8 which is awesome. I think it was just my brain needing some sleep because it worked the first time. Also patched a few fixes to the mod and leaving as is till I have had plenty of time to see if anything causes a issue before adding a few more patches.

I removed the 18 ship patch however so I don't have any issues while I develop this mod.

Going to go through my ship list again for optimization and then I might start on making a new title page picture with the name of the mod included.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Wow a lot of work done tonight, I went through a few of the federation ships and really nailed down some stats. It took a long time but proud of the work. The NX class was a nice touch not having any shields or shield recharge however upped the hull to compensate. Also added a ton of descriptions for almost all the federation ships added. I did notice some of the descriptions were too long so will have to fix those.

Tomorrow if time will try to do something else to cleanse the pallet since it is dry work. It's going to be a long process, but it will be worth it!
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

Anyone have any good patches to add to "Generations" that won't cause many issues...please let me know. I really enjoyed the building 8x patch and added a few basic ones but would love to hear feedback.

This mod will only be as good as it can be with help from others.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Studmaster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 pm Anyone have any good patches to add to "Generations" that won't cause many issues...please let me know. I really enjoyed the building 8x patch and added a few basic ones but would love to hear feedback.

In "tools/bof patcher" folder you will find a "Patches" folder.
The ECM folder has many essential/basic patches. You just need to only apply those that conform with your mod
example; your mod might not want dilthium fix limiting ship building dilth to on hand (although you might want it)
or planet killer (working but sct is still not 100% happy with it)
or unpopular fixes like "commands in tactical combat" ECM uses solo command, MUM uses a version of this patch without solo command code change

you also have other major patches you would need to consider
1. no/limited main structure upgrade
2. tech level bonus factor
3. additional tech levels

there is so many other patches possible, I just can't remember them all. lol

Note; when you select a patch in bof patcher most should have a link at bottom with post with detailed patch info.
Studmaster
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Studmaster »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 pm
Studmaster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 pm Anyone have any good patches to add to "Generations" that won't cause many issues...please let me know. I really enjoyed the building 8x patch and added a few basic ones but would love to hear feedback.

In "tools/bof patcher" folder you will find a "Patches" folder.
The ECM folder has many essential/basic patches. You just need to only apply those that conform with your mod
example; your mod might not want dilthium fix limiting ship building dilth to on hand (although you might want it)
or planet killer (working but sct is still not 100% happy with it)
or unpopular fixes like "commands in tactical combat" ECM uses solo command, MUM uses a version of this patch without solo command code change

you also have other major patches you would need to consider
1. no/limited main structure upgrade
2. tech level bonus factor
3. additional tech levels

there is so many other patches possible, I just can't remember them all. lol

Note; when you select a patch in bof patcher most should have a link at bottom with post with detailed patch info.
Will look into these as well. I just like first hand experience with the patches so if something happens I can narrow it down easier. Thank you

Return to “General Chat”